Convert model for GP4...how?

Posted by RicME85 
Convert model for GP4...how?
Date: June 06, 2013 01:30PM
Posted by: RicME85
As you can see from my sig, I take part in a 3D modelling and CFD competition.
I would like to be able to convert my latest car so that I can place it into GP4 to create some nice renders.
Unlike the GP4 cars, the KVRC cars are drawn to scale.
How would I go about getting my model into the game? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Convert model for GP4...how?
Date: June 06, 2013 02:58PM
Posted by: Bruce D
Well I'd suggest getting it converted to .3ds format and then bring it into zmodeler. Then you'd need to break it up into the required parts before saving it as a GP4 file. What program do you use to model the car in the first place?

Looks quite interesting competition, but do the calculations take into effect downforce or just drag coefficients? Because some of the "winning" teams there probably wouldn't work in real life, way to boxy in design.
Date: June 06, 2013 02:59PM
Posted by: Bruce D
You could also get it into sketchup and convert it to kerkythia and get some great renders that way or use other rendering software.
Date: June 06, 2013 03:36PM
I model in Sketchup and use Kerkythea for renders already but think that if I got my car into GP4 amongst some of the other cars it would make some nice pictures.

As for KVRC itself, Julien (who makes the Khamsin plugin for Sketchup) runs the CFD test then the data gets put into Richard Machin's Virtual Stopwatch (http://www.competition-car-engineering.com/index.htm) to get the laptimes.
The best place to talk about KVRC is over on F1Technical where we have a growing thread - [www.f1technical.net]

Date: June 08, 2013 02:23PM
So any more help guys?
I have zero experience with Zmodeler so have no idea how to go about breaking down the car. I have got a lod file that has a current car within it that I was looking at using to replace components with the ones I have designed but am stuck already (N)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy