Creating A Results Table From Scratch?

Posted by Mullet345 
Creating A Results Table From Scratch?
Date: November 25, 2012 09:40AM
Posted by: Mullet345
I need help with creating a results table/standings chart for my custom championship. I'm using Open Office Calc but can't seem to work out what to do. Can anyone help me out? 

Re: Creating A Results Table From Scratch?
Date: November 25, 2012 09:53AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
You mean a simple worksheet with the results and championchip table?
I have one ;-). Tell me if want to have this.
Date: November 25, 2012 09:57AM
No. I want to know how to make one myself. I just don't know what to use. The way I want mine is to have the table on the first sheet and the info on the second sheet.

Date: November 27, 2012 08:25AM
Anyone?

Date: November 27, 2012 04:07PM
Posted by: Bruce D
OK well in general most excel commands should work in open office so I might be able to help.

So I take it you want the first sheet to display the overall standings, automatically sorted in order, while on the second sheet you want to fill in the results from the season. What "info" are you putting on there and how does it relate to your first sheet?
Date: November 27, 2012 09:04PM
Posted by: truecrysis
It depends what sort of table you would like. If you want a decorative table, you will need to use autoshapes (or the openoffice equivalent) which makes automatic sorting harder as they have a habit of not moving. My tables are an example of that. (Tobi sent you them)

If you want a more functional table, then you need the formulas from excel. As Bruce said, what info are you looking for?

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: November 27, 2012 10:16PM
truecrysis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It depends what sort of table you would like. If
> you want a decorative table, you will need to use
> autoshapes (or the openoffice equivalent) which
> makes automatic sorting harder as they have a
> habit of not moving. My tables are an example of
> that. (Tobi sent you them)
>
> If you want a more functional table, then you need
> the formulas from excel. As Bruce said, what info
> are you looking for?

Info I put is qualifying results, race results and overall season standings. Since I have three sets of info I use seperate sheets for them. For qualifying results I put the car number, driver, team, pole time and I plan on adding all driver times, race results are roughly the same but instead of pole time I put overall race time and season results I put the drivers and teams in number order and put the result of each race in. I don't think I can make a decorative table (and the one from GPGSL doesn't work for me unless I use Excel) so a functional one will have to do. I want to add a positions gained to my race results and I already put who gets the fastest lap. So what will I need to use so that the info I put in will automatically be sorted?

Date: November 29, 2012 01:48AM
Bruce D, truecrysis, what do I need to get the tables sorted?

Date: November 29, 2012 09:36AM
Sorry, was hectic day for me yesterday so never got to look at the thread.

Ok well if I'm understanding you correctly you want a seperate page for the qualifying and race results and championship positions. In terms of qualifying and race results, it really is just a case of sorting those manually yourself and you probably have it set up properly already.

Before getting carried away here though, have you looked at GPx Race Manager? It does everything you are wanting to do, all you have to do is import the text files from GP3 or GP4 and it calculates everything based on your custom championship points etc. I personally use this all the time and it all looks great too. Here is the link: [gadareth.altervista.org]

As far as autosorting is concerned it is a bit tricky, especially as I don't know if Open Office will work the commands in the same way as Excel. Basically you need to use the rank command to get the order of the points positions, then the match command to let it collate the data into a sensible order and then the index command to put them into another table in the correct order. It's rather complicated but if you don't like GPx Race Manager and still want to work it out I can try to go step by step through it. Just letting you know I won't be around on Friday or all weekend so if you still need help then I'll get back to you on Monday if someone else hasn't helped you. (Y)
Date: November 29, 2012 10:01AM
Bruce D, I think they are called functions in open office calc. I haven't used race manager and would rather make my own tables. The rank, match and index functions, are they used in qualifying, race, championship or all three? I may need a step by step to help me out.

Date: November 29, 2012 12:33PM
I'd only use them in championships standings, otherwise you're spending hours making it for something that would take seconds to sort with the sort function.

I'll only be able to help with step-by-step functions next week, otherwise google for those functions and see what I mean, that's how I learnt. In particular google for autosorting in excel and the same should work in Open Office.
Date: December 04, 2012 07:19AM
Bruce D, how soon will you have the step by step guide complete? I'm going to be needing it soon to get my table ready.

Date: December 04, 2012 11:30AM
Well I'm not going to be getting much chance until later in the week. This is the link that taught me how to do it in Excel, these functions should work in Open Office. [exceluser.com]
Date: December 04, 2012 12:26PM
I don't mind waiting. I still need to get my championship carset all sorted before I start the first round.

Date: December 04, 2012 08:23PM
Posted by: shep34
Thanks for that link Bruce D - i know i will be taking a good look at that page, trying to add a few new tricks to my arsenal with Excel. Nothing like learning for yourself how to sort things out!
Date: December 11, 2012 02:13AM
Bruce D, are you any closer to having the guide completed?

Date: April 08, 2013 04:01PM
Sorry for bringing up a old thread but I didn't want to have to start a new thread. I'm still stuck in making a results table for championship positions. I have a qualifying and race results tables done, I just need the season standings table done. I have most of it done, just need to put the info in so that the tables will automatically sort the order out, but don't know how to use match and index function (I know how to use rank function). So can anyone help?

Date: April 09, 2013 07:59AM
Firstly, humble apologies for not getting back on this. At the time I was very busy but saw the thread last night so I quickly wrote out a guide, see below:

The image below is showing a spreadsheet I did last week that automatically sorts the
championship points.

In the A column I've equalled the names of the drivers in the list. This example is for
the 1998 CART season. In column B I've equalled each drivers individual totals from
another sheet. Columns C, D, E, F and G are where the action is which follows in the next
step. All the formulas mentioned should work in OpenOffice as well.

1. We'll use column C to rank the points positions. A problem with the ranking function
is that equal values tend to throw it's calculation a bit (at least in excel), so a trick
I picked up off the net is to rank it but then also allow for equal numbers to be ranked
differently. Also remember it's important to "lock" the cells in the formula so that you
can just copy the formula down and not have to retype each one. In excel this is done
with the $ sign, not sure if OpenOffice does the same.

So to rank the numbers from B3 to B32, this is the formula you would use in cell C3

"=RANK(B3,$B$3:$B$32,0)+COUNTIF(B3:$B$32,B3)-1".

By "locking" the values B3 ($B$3),etc you can now just fill down or copy and paste this
formula in each row in column C and it will give you the ranking.

2. Now jump to column E (skip D for now), and fill in the position numbers in each row.
This is manually done, i.e. not a formula, just 1, 2, 3, etc. to the end of your number
of people.

3. Now move to column D and cell D3. Here comes the match function. The formula you fill
in here is as follows:

"=MATCH(E3,$C$3:$C$32,0)"

Here's what that formula actually means (always useful to understand formulas, makes it
easier to spot mistakes later). You are asking it to match the number found in cell E3
("1" in this case) with the rank number found in column C within the range specified. The
0 at the end means you want an exact match figure. Once again because of locking the
cells you can just copy this down the line and it will work it out.

4. Now to get the names to match. In column F you need to index the names to match the

numbers. So the formula in cell F3 is:

"=INDEX($A$3:$A$32,D3)"

This useful little tool tells it that you want to index the figures in those cells based
on the numbers found in the match column. And bingo your names are there.

5. Now to get the points figures (and any other data you want thats in another sheet or
whatever linked to that person's name). In column G, cell G3, you put the following
formula:

"=VLOOKUP(F3,$A$3:$B$32,2,FALSE)"

What this tells it (and this may be a very useful formula to know with what you're doing)
is to look at the value in F3, find the same value in the range A3 to B32, then find show
the data in the 2nd column in that range, in this case the points. The False name means
that it must get only that value matching that name. Don't ask me why but you get some
funny results if you don't put that one in sometimes. Note I used Vlookup, which looks in
a vertical direction down columns and returns a result in that corresponding row. The
command Hlookup looks across rows and find the result in the corresponding columns.

And that's it!

NB I opened my file in my 3.0 version of OpenOffice and everything worked perfectly. The
only thing I noticed was everywhere I used a "," in the formula it used a ";"

Hope that helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 08:01AM by Bruce D.
Date: April 09, 2013 08:14AM
Thanks for the help. This should help me out. I have seen tables that also have the results from each race for each driver. How would I go about doing that?

Date: April 09, 2013 08:36AM
I don't follow exactly what you mean. Do you have a screenshot you can post of that sort of thing? Also depends how you're entering your data into the spreadsheet, are you putting in results and let it calculate the points or putting in the points and just letting it do a total?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy