Small problem with Spa circuit

Posted by neilcaine 
Small problem with Spa circuit
Date: February 12, 2012 12:32PM
Posted by: neilcaine
Guys I'm hoping there is a track editing expert who could offer a possible solution to a texture problem with the Spa track I'm using. There is a section of the track at a left hand turn (before the UBS bridge in the 2011 version) where there is a large cliff on the right which stretches around the whole turn, - it's covered in grass etc and in my track the textures are quite blurred. The 2009 F1Virtual version of the track has the same textures at this point but they are much sharper. What could be the reason for the difference and can it be fixed in gp4builder? (if yes can you confirm wht I'd need to try doing?)

hope someone can help anyway

cheers

Neil
Re: Small problem with Spa circuit
Date: February 17, 2012 03:40PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Without looking at the different versions, I'm guessing it has something to do with the UV mapping of those textures. This determines how many multiples of the texture will be repeated within each vertex. If the number is too large, then the texture will seem squashed, and if it's too small, it will look stretched.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 17, 2012 05:05PM
Yes it does look stretched, I don't suppose you'd know how to fix that using gp4builder by any chance would you Ed? - I'm not sure where to start with this problem and don't want to make things worse! The mapping side of things is still a bit of a mystery to me
Date: February 18, 2012 07:41AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Have a look at the GP4 Builder Guide. The relevant sections are 6.2 Level 3 and Level 5. For Level 3, look at the Advanced Mapping button, and for Level 5, look at UV Map coordinates.

I can help you if you want, but I think it would be better for you in the long term to try and learn, like the old saying, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 18, 2012 09:25AM
Posted by: xandy
hi

I'm with SchueyFan on this one - but I can understand neilcaine too (sorry, saw your post but didn't know what to say as you didn't gave us a screenshot, the name of the objects or the name of the texture in question)
sadly Prblanco didn't continue with his series of tutorials on track editing/making, so he didn't come to share his knowledge on verge/bank mapping
I think with editing the mapping even we as "softcore track editors" (we that is who lack the skill/time/staying power to do real track making - but who knows what will come) can improve some tracks quite a bit
perhaps it is possible to discuss the "little spa problem" as an example in track editing with some old hands sharing their tips and tricks which go beyond the basics of the GP4Builder's manual

so neil - give us some more information

eager to learn
xandy

P.S.: if the issue is the spa2001_page_002.TEX than please check the difference between the f1virtual and 2011 version of the track (f1virtual's has higher resolution)
Date: February 18, 2012 01:15PM
Sorry guys, yes it is the Spa 002 and possibly Spa 000 textures and the NLAND_TL05, NLAND_TL06, NLAND_RIGHTSWEEPHILL09 and NLAND_SNACLIFFRIGHT objects in the 2011 version which seem to be the main problem, - which seems to be 002 and 003 textures in the F1virtual version. The textures and objects are numbered/named differently in each track and the exact location of each object varies from each track (even the dat files are different) so I couldn't even copy the objects directly. I'm using the F1 virtual cliff face textures so it must be the object mapping which is the problem and unfortunately it's totally baffling me. I've tried to follow the guide but it's a bit beyond my abilities at the moment, the u and v mapping is for more knowledgeable people than me - will just have to live with the blurred cliff wall

Thanks anyway Ed

Xandy - maybe you no more than me about mapping - but thanks for the tips anyway

cheers
Date: February 18, 2012 03:20PM
Posted by: xandy
no - you don't have to live with blurry textures

I drove around Spa 2011 (latest v3 by drt01, schueyfan, josekast, jcaranti) and saw one small mapping issue at a steep bank (perhaps there're more but let's take this)

in gp4 it is: NLAND_Line14 object Part 1 with spa2001_page_003.tex

the picture shows the situation before (top part) and after (at the bottom) some remapping
there is clearly no continuous mapping, the texture looks blurry compared to the part at the left

after remapping the picture is sharper but surely not perfect (didn't had the time to be fussy)

so how to achieve this
I'm no expert with mapping - perhaps there are easier and better ways to do this (what I meant with old hands sharing their tips and tricks)
- select the a face with blurry image (first one on the left should be 66)
- go down to vertex level
- in the vertex property box (I always Lock Realtime Mouse Changes) copy the uvmap (button before pixels) so you can go back to your starting point
- change the values in the uvmap trying the combinations 0/1 0/0 1/1 1/0 checking the changes in the main window and do some fine tuning if necessary
- repeat this with all the vertices
- repeat this with all faces

the result pictured above took me around 5 minutes (and I'm really bad at this)

cheers
xandy
Date: February 18, 2012 09:50PM
Thanks Xandy

I appreciate the detailed help - I'm finally getting to grips with the mapping - it's a case of trial and error with a lot of fine tuning as you say but I'm giving it a try

thanks again mate

cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy