How to fix a car's damage model?

Posted by jucksman 
How to fix a car's damage model?
Date: August 03, 2011 04:13PM
Posted by: jucksman
I've had the same issues whith more than one car lately: it looks perfect ingame but, when you crash, weird things happen. The 2 more common are:
1. The driver's body detaches itself with the nosecone
2. The whole cockpit detaches itself with a tyre or suspension. So, instead of a loose wheel bouncing around the track, I get an entire car attached to it, flipping about - not very realistic.

I know it has something to do with the damage model or some zmodeler issue, so my question is: how do I solve these issues?

Thanks in advance
Re: How to fix a car's damage model?
Date: August 03, 2011 04:31PM
Posted by: gezere
check if your objects (28 objects for lod0) are in alphabetic order.
You can easily do it by open the file.GP4 with GP4 Builder and do the Action/ sort car objects.
of course you have to save your file after this action.

Date: August 03, 2011 04:42PM
Thanks, Gezere! It worked perfectly! :-)
Date: August 03, 2011 05:45PM
Posted by: ColdBlood
To answer the first one:

Check the driver's body in GP4 Editor and see if it is assigned as z_cockpit_*(maybe '_insert ';)

z_cockpit_insert object usually flies off when you crash. What is a solution? You can tide it up with any other objects, but z_cockpit_*.

And don't forget you must have 28 objects in your lod0; carefully detach a small face from any objects and assign it as z_cockpit_insert.

It will be better than what you have then :) However, I would prefer to keep the body as a separated part because I love modding ;)

Race with no fear! - Gilles Villeneuve

Date: August 03, 2011 08:43PM
Posted by: Excalibur
ColdBlood écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To answer the first one:
>
> Check the driver's body in GP4 Editor and see if
> it is assigned as z_cockpit_*(maybe '_insert ';)
>
> z_cockpit_insert object usually flies off when you
> crash. What is a solution? You can tide it up with
> any other objects, but z_cockpit_*.
>
> And don't forget you must have 28 objects in your
> lod0; carefully detach a small face from any
> objects and assign it as z_cockpit_insert.
>
> It will be better than what you have then :)
> However, I would prefer to keep the body as a
> separated part because I love modding ;)

I have always used the body driver as the z_cockpit_insert object and when the car crashes, I see the body mapping flying away.I thought it was due to the fact I use lod_0 only because it doesn't happen with all the lods.
I didn't know the problem was link to the z_cockpit_*** objects. I will try to assign the body driver to another car part, next time.
So thank you very much for this explanation! Very useful (Y)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 01:45AM by Excalibur.
Date: August 04, 2011 01:11AM
Posted by: kerleyf1
I use to put the driver body with the "cockpit" part.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: August 04, 2011 01:47AM
kerleyf1 écrivait:
> I use to put the driver body with the "cockpit"
> part.

Yes, it is one solution to fix the problem but if you want to keep it as a single object? You have to find another car object to assign the body driver Hmmm maybe to use one of the barge_board and to group the two barge boards in one.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 02:58AM by Excalibur.
Date: August 04, 2011 01:50AM
Deleted. ( double post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 01:52AM by Excalibur.
Date: August 04, 2011 09:48AM
Posted by: fongu
the bargeboards still come off in a crash. something more difficult to break off like engine for example, may be better. Personally I attach it to the cockpit, but it does make it difficult to map around the cockpit area if you wanted to make a change

Date: August 04, 2011 01:41PM
fongu écrivait:
> the bargeboards still come off in a crash.
> something more difficult to break off like engine
> for example, may be better. Personally I attach it
> to the cockpit, but it does make it difficult to
> map around the cockpit area if you wanted to make
> a change

Right! That's one of the reason I want to keep it as a single object. And sometimes, I use the same body driver for other cars so it saves me time. Otherwise, I have to delete all the faces of the cockpit to isolate the body driver (because often mapped on the same texture than the cockpit so I can't select by materials). But you may be right.: with the engine object, it would be easier and more accurate.
Thank you for the advice ;-)

Date: August 04, 2011 03:06PM
I prefer to keep the driver body as a separate object. I've been playing with the body's position lately and found some really realistic positions for every team. I even have Button's and Hamilton's bodies in different positions, since jenson is taller than lewis...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy