3DS Max Tutorials.

Posted by ramf1v 
3DS Max Tutorials.
Date: June 03, 2011 12:31PM
Posted by: ramf1v
I'm not sure how many people use Max in here to edit meshes, but I was working on a few tutorials, If there is enough interest I can continue them and expand the subjects.
Check these out and let me know if they are of any use.

Importing the Track Mesh
[ramissin.co.cc]

Quadrifying The Mesh
[ramissin.co.cc]

Fixing The Track (Manual Method)
[ramissin.co.cc]

Fixing The Track (Scripted Method)
[ramissin.co.cc]

F1Dev
Re: 3DS Max Tutorials.
Date: June 03, 2011 02:57PM
Posted by: senna9194
nice!:-)

i'm quite interested in the scripted method to fix the track,would be nice to see something like that in future:-)also,i remember you made a tutorial to make the landscape,any chance to have it again?

My GPGSL Career
Date: June 03, 2011 04:31PM
Posted by: tealdiht
Hi, to export cars to 3dmax, without losing the texture, is made ​​in the same way ????
Date: June 03, 2011 09:40PM
You don't "lose" the texture........mapping/uvw info is retained when exporting 3ds from builder. The trick is finding it in max.
The easiest way is to use a script called Materials to Editor. [www.scriptspot.com].
Import your car mesh, select all objects and run the script...your mat editor is populated with the materials of the selected objects, then all you need to do is browse for the relevant tga's.

F1Dev
Date: June 04, 2011 01:44PM
@senna9194
Sure dude i'll dig it out over the weekend.

Here's a handy little script for making prefabs, useful for populating track objects.

[www.scriptspot.com]

F1Dev
Date: June 04, 2011 03:30PM
Posted by: tealdiht
ramf1v Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You don't "lose" the texture........mapping/uvw
> info is retained when exporting 3ds from builder.
> The trick is finding it in max.
> The easiest way is to use a script called
> Materials to Editor.
> [www.scriptspot.com]
> s-to-editor.
> Import your car mesh, select all objects and run
> the script...your mat editor is populated with the
> materials of the selected objects, then all you
> need to do is browse for the relevant tga's.

thank you very much, there are some that are compatible with 3dmax 8??
IS THAT JUST DOWNLOAD THE MAX 8 2 days ago, jajaja!!!!
Date: June 04, 2011 05:57PM
Max 8 ?.....no I don't think so .....Max 9 is minimum for that script, for max 8 check out "Material Mover" in Soulburns Scripts, I think it does a pretty similar job....never tried it tho.

[www.neilblevins.com]

F1Dev
Date: June 05, 2011 08:24PM
Posted by: jimbob1
do you have a d/l for the quadrangulate.mzp ?
Date: June 06, 2011 03:15AM
Here you go...seems all other links to this have disappeared.

[ramissin.co.cc]

F1Dev
Date: June 06, 2011 01:40PM
Posted by: jimbob1
many thanks...
Date: June 12, 2011 06:28PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@Ramf1 : impressive way to get the result done but if I sum up all of this : all you want is ortogonal verge edges instead of edges following banks...
So the other solution could have been to ask me for that feature (and you could of course have used this manual method in the meanwhile the feature was released).

Funny enough, in the past GP4Builder was using verges edges orthogonal to track sectors until I discovered that original tracks were built with verges edges following banks edges and that I modified GP4Builder to respect this. You couldn't know but for me, changing the way verges edge is computing can be done in a couple of minutes. So I could simply add an option to make verge edges following banks or being orthogonal to sectors in a very quick time and it will save you all this tedious work.

I assume it's a bit late now for your project but if some "track operation of this kind" are needed in future, don't hesitate to ask. Sometimes I can't do it, sometimes it's a lot of work for me and a simple work in Max but sometimes it's really easy to make it a one click button feature.

Best regards,

Lo2k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 06:04PM by Lo2k.
Date: June 14, 2011 12:55AM
To late?..... no never, you always come to mind when I have to do these things in Max, it really is a huge amount of work, (and very repetitive).
(I always assume it's too much work on your side.)

Maybe It's my fault for being so finicky and too precise, but maybe others would find this useful too.
I sometimes like to get my head around a problem in max, but like you said, the workload sometimes outweighs the benefits.
If i could Maxscript like you code, I wouldn't have a problem ;)

True, it's the blue/green stripes around the Yas circuit that show up the issue, maybe not so apparent on other tracks.

Anyway in future I'll hold back from showing off in Max, If this was a one click feature in GP4B I'd be grinning from ear to ear.

Any problems I have in the future I'll submit to you first in the dev forum, before tackling them in max. I do tend to get blinkered vision and spend many hours in search of that "eureka" moment.......to be honest I'd rather be working on the track models....it's much more fun ;)

F1Dev
Date: June 14, 2011 02:37AM
Posted by: Prblanco
ramf1v Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the workload sometimes outweighs the benefits.

Don't know why, but that sentence made me smile :)

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: June 14, 2011 03:03AM
hmmm.......and what would you know about workload ? ;)

F1Dev
Date: June 14, 2011 03:14AM
Posted by: Prblanco
Nothing I guess ;)

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: June 18, 2011 08:50PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@ramf1 : Done since yesterday. It only needs to check a radiobutton in options to see verges orthogonal to sectors (available for track from .dat mesh conversion). Anyway game will still use the actual GP4builder .dat mesh for car collision (with verges edges following bank edges) so in some cases (verges or banks at a very different altitude than the track mostly) car will bounce through or before verge visual polygons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 08:51PM by Lo2k.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy