The future of GPX-Racing

Posted by rdexter 
The future of GPX-Racing
Date: September 23, 2003 10:14AM
Posted by: rdexter
What do you guys all think how things for GP4 will look in the next year(s)? To me it looks rather bleak.

2 new circuits coming around next year, no track-editor in sight (without wanting to belittle the efforts of LO2K and others) and we still have to race on old Hockenheim/Magny-Cours/Hungaro-Ring. Further no easy and convincing way to implement the new rules... no GP5 in sight, which wouldn't make sense at all, since Sony has its fat a.ss on the FIA licence...

Don't get me wrong: I still love this game and how it still gives you the feeling of "being there" (unlike that other game), but it seems that it slowly comes to the point where my fantasy or inventiveness cannot hold up to it anymore.
Re: The future of GPX-Racing
Date: September 23, 2003 10:19AM
Posted by: checha
i know what u mean.. and ur not the only one who think about that... but if those guys canĀ“t no make a track editor i guess we gotta wait a bit or see what sony can bring it out

Date: September 23, 2003 10:26AM
Posted by: dreams come trulli
Isn't there anyone at all who can create the track-editor?

Date: September 23, 2003 10:30AM
Posted by: ralphi
uhm?? no offence man but try doing it your self...

Date: September 23, 2003 11:02AM
Posted by: Beostar
I think if anyone can do it. Its the great programmers who are on this forum. Don't think anyone is closer to finding the solution than Lo2k , madman and prolly a lot more ppl that aren't mentioned.

If I had any idea other than just experiment with 3Deditor and hope for the best I would help out :) but i'm just not capable to :)
Date: September 23, 2003 11:25AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hmm, it's right of course that GP4 modding is quite slow and the difficulties to bring you a full track editor adds to this.
Without going into too much details, tracks are composed of multiple files and the most important one is track's physical definition stored in the .dat files.
I can't by myself tried to change every byte of these file to know what they does (because, that's the only way to understand how to create/modify tracks) and that's why i built the .dat part of 3DEditor.
The goal was to give you a full access to all the file, affording everyone knowledge already gather by GP3 track makers and an easy way to edit the files graphically without having any hexadecimal knowledge.

So Beostar, you know what you have to do :
Just open a dat, change 1 and only one value, save the file and try the game to see what changed. Anybody can do this.
Of course it will crash GP4 sometimes but copy/paste original .dat file will make everything ok again.

About future, and appart tracks physical side, i'm currently working on a much better .gp4 files editing allowing more modifications in materials and 3D objects properties as Normals, and every other datas stored in .gp4 files.
And much can be done in the graphical area, better textures, new objects, better mappings...

Car mods are still alive and independant data modification bring by Madman in GP4Tweaker will allow much more things in future (different wheelbase / car for exemple).

So, it's obvious that we might never see any peace car real feature in GP4 but many great things are still in front of us.

Lo2k

Date: September 23, 2003 12:25PM
Posted by: Beostar
Nice said lo2k :)

You truly managed to capture the spirit of the game in that post.

I'm definantly gonna try all I can and hope that many will do the same :)
Date: September 23, 2003 12:43PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I know that on the cars, wheels, helmets stuff we won't have problems :)
Ricardo can update the track's aspects, and someday someone that has taken C/C++ courses, VisualBasic, blablablablabla and stuff, or even graduated on those, will come up with the solution. And I have faith on Lo2K, and I use many of his editors :)

Date: September 23, 2003 01:01PM
Posted by: jawwad01
What about that TRACE?

No news about the TRACE?

Date: September 23, 2003 01:05PM
what is trace?
Another programming program?
*stops to wonder the magnitude of the words "programming program" together*

Date: September 23, 2003 01:21PM
Posted by: Xero
TracE was a track editor madman was writing... I don't know if he gave up after Lo2k's good progress or what!?

I think GP4 has a good future... I also think we will see GP5 some day... I think the Sony license is for the current season?! Correct me if i'm wrong! Which means GP5 will be based on the prior season as usual! If Sony has bought all rights completely, then we may see a fantasy racing game with easier abilities to customize the game completely.

I think GP4 modding will get to the level of the EA games eventually! It may be slow to come by, but when it does come, i'm sure we'll seea number of brilliant mods and circuits.

Date: September 23, 2003 01:36PM
Hopefully Madman didn't become a completely insane man (haha) and gave up on the idea!
But I believe Sony has F1 until 2007 or so (I know it sucks, but hopefully I'm wrong). And GP5 will not come out of Geoff's hands, IF it ever comes out.

Date: September 23, 2003 01:56PM
Posted by: dolinseks
I think, that is possible to make GP5 for 2002 season, because Sony bought license only for current season (I hope you know what I mean) and I think that next year it will be possible to make 2003 season, coz Sony will make the game for 2004 season. If this couldnt be possible, than maybe someone will do add-on for GP4, like GP3-2000. I am hoping for the best.
Date: September 23, 2003 02:13PM
Posted by: Timzaghi
I was wondering, did anyone ever tried to send an email to infogrames/geoff crammond??
I would save us a lot of work If we could just get their program they used for making tracks.. I guess they don't have to compress and decrompess wads and stuff in the way we do...

Date: September 23, 2003 02:35PM
Posted by: tux
yes, geoff wasnt in charge of the tracks ;)

Date: September 23, 2003 04:06PM
Posted by: ArexonsF1
About track editing, i think it has future. Look, when Gp2 was released, there wasnt a track editor yet, and it took a looong time to come, but it came! Gp3 is a almost-copy of Gp2, so it was much easier! And now, Gp4 has a new programming style, so we'll have to walk the long way again, but we're already very far from the beggining! Gp4Italia, for example, got the code to modify the track orders, Mr. Lampert changes the physycal tracks, Viper, Tartichio, Erix and lots of other guys are true masters when making cars. What else? Gp4Tweaker and GpxPatch make the game a brand-new one! Let's get happy! WE HAVE FUTURE!

WE ARE THE WORLD...
WE ARE THE FUTURE...
i forgot this song =D

Formula One is not dead... It's just a bit tired =D But don't worry, 2005 will be great ;)
Date: September 23, 2003 04:24PM
Posted by: tux
"we are the champions, no time for loooosers coz weeeeeeeee are the champions....... of gpx"

that one? ;)

Date: September 23, 2003 05:15PM
Posted by: urk10
there is a great article about the making of the tracks in GP4.....

[www.simracingworld.com]

Date: September 23, 2003 05:38PM
no! the michael jackson one, USA for Africa.
We are the world
We are the children
nana nana nananana nana nana and me nanana
Remember?

Post Edited (09-24-03 03:09)
Date: September 23, 2003 07:42PM
Posted by: Paco
This:

We are the world, we are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let

I'm against sigpics
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy