LO2k/Viper - Tex resizing

Posted by Caelen 
LO2k/Viper - Tex resizing
Date: September 06, 2003 07:02PM
Posted by: Caelen
ive read your topic on textures viper, thanks it explained a bit.
with my cockpit textures they always look a bit blurry when i have a low angle, and with madmans real time cockpit camera movement you can see the mipmaps change as you move the camera.
ok what i wanted was to create cockpit textures that dont downsample, that way they look nice and crisp from all angles, i changed mipmaps to 0 in graphics config and the cockpits looked much better, even with a mipmap of two they looked a lot better, however this cause a bit of slowdown on my system.
so i wanted to make a cockpit texture with only one or two sample levels.
ie i used gpmaster to insert the same 512x256 texture into each mipmap slot (i used tex resizer to set correct size).
However the problem is that gp4 still downsamples the mipmaps,ie is not using the full 512x256 texture for every mipmap level.
does tex resizer set the downsample sizes as well, so would it be possible to change tex resizer to set the downsample resolutions.
ie for my cockpit i could set level 1 512x256, level2 512x256 level 3 256x128 level 4 256x128

just to clarify, LO2K, im asking if you could change tex resizer to be able specify the size of each downsample as well as the maximum size, or is this automatically calculated in gp4 using the max size ?

by the way i used Tex editor(by James Knopp) to create a new tex file with only the 1 mipmap level but still received the same result.

Post Edited (09-07-03 02:16)
Re: LO2k/Viper - Tex resizing
Date: September 06, 2003 07:33PM
Posted by: ViperF1
TEX Resier don't set the downsample size , because I found only one flag in the tex file , or I will only use 3 samples , the sample 4 is too small.

F1GrandPrix.net - 1999 - 2003 Viper F1 Studio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will drive flat out all the time. I love racing." - Gilles Villeneuve
Date: September 07, 2003 01:38PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hmm, i checked it but it seems we can't specify mipmaps sizes but the main one.
But we can create DXT files storing only one map instead of 4 (it has to be tested with GP4 anyhow to see if GP4 handle it).
For more information, you can check Madman's tex format description on one of his sites.

Date: September 07, 2003 02:05PM
Posted by: Caelen
i just read madmans info, how does he work out this stuff ?
i did create a tex file with only 1 level using tex editor, i checked this tex file in gpmaster and it too displayed only 1 level, however when i played in game gp4 automatically down sampled for each mip map level.

however following vipers advice i generated my own downsamples in photoshop and got slightly better results, this seems to be the only way to get any improvement, or of course change to two mipmaps only in graphics config.
Date: September 07, 2003 03:34PM
Posted by: Madman271
I haven't check it, but probably DirectX DDS loader was automatically downsampling all DDS format with only single layered bitmap data up to 9 layers.

In reality, doesn't matter who's right but most important is who's left.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy