GPU Question

Posted by Fergy 
GPU Question
Date: June 14, 2010 12:45AM
Posted by: Fergy
I noticed on this performance graph that the GPU only runs at about 25% on average in a race, it no problem for practice or qual but in a race I'm getting bad lag.

graphics performance

Does anyone know a way to increase the GPU level for gp4? New games seemed to use alot more GPU than this and I am wondering if this is where the problem may lay.

Any help appreciated,

Fergy
Re: GPU Question
Date: June 14, 2010 01:11PM
Posted by: TeamBPR
I've never understood the way that GP4 uses your CPU and GPU. It seems to be much more processor dependent as opposed to GPU dependent doesn't it, a bit like a flight simulator appears to be like this too - maybe because it's working harder to calculate what the other 22 cars are all doing rather than working hard to draw it. But you'd think this wouldn't be AS stressful on a cpu, and it would be much more of an issue drawing 22 high res cars, etc. so I never know why the GPU appears to be taking it easy.

I'd like to know the answer to your question as well Fergy! :-)
Date: June 14, 2010 01:22PM
Posted by: Fergy
I was wondering if it was the fact I only have hi res cars in the wad (Nicks 2010 wad). It sure was a suprise to see the performance or the lack of I should say. You would think with Quadcore and a 1Gb graphics card it would not be an issue.
Date: June 14, 2010 01:34PM
Posted by: mortal
It does not matter how many cores you have, GP4 only uses one cpu, that is why it is an issue. Do you remember setting gpx to 0? That forces GP4 to use 1 cpu. It cannot use hyperthreading or whatever it is that allows the use of more than one core during processing. GP4 has always been cpu hungry, however it does help to have a decent graphics card as well. I have two ati's that gives me 1gb of video ram and a dual core 3gb cpu and I can run nicks high res mod flat out. It also runs on a ati 9600gt with 512mb quite well. :-) Unfortunately it can vary dramatically system to system. One thing GP4 does not like is onboard graphics, as the graphics rendering is performed by the cpu so it falls in a heap.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 14, 2010 03:03PM
Posted by: Cyberacer
GP4 uses only one core and its performance depends directly on CPU clock speed. The higher the GHz, the better.
That's why it runs better in a system with core-i5@3.2GHz than with quad@2.5GHz (keeping GPU and all other hardware the same).

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy