Can you convert gp3 tracks to gp4?

Posted by djknowle 
Can you convert gp3 tracks to gp4?
Date: September 13, 2007 12:24PM
Posted by: djknowle
Is this possible, if so how can it be done?

Thanks
Re: Can you convert gp3 tracks to gp4?
Date: September 13, 2007 01:32PM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
I've asked this question before, and didn't get a response.

I suppose if you open up the GP3 track in its track editor, and a Gp4 track in its editor, you can start to make the layouts from the info within the GP3 track. Apart from that though, I have no ideas as to an easier solution! Its annoying, cause I would love to make the scenery for tracks, cause I've got good ideas, but I'm rubbish at the layout, CC-Lines and so on.
Date: September 13, 2007 02:07PM
Posted by: mortal
Apparently it's do-able, I couldn't say how though. Post this also in the GP3 forum.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2007 02:08PM by mortal.
Date: September 13, 2007 02:56PM
Posted by: fongu
It's been done by a guy over at grandprixx.com - although he's not put any gradients on

Date: September 13, 2007 08:40PM
Yeah. I've just created my track now too, just testing out at the moment.
Gradients are a bit of a head scratcher, but it has worked.
Date: September 13, 2007 09:06PM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I'd like to know also, would like to modify Vegas :)
Date: September 13, 2007 09:34PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
i'd imagine it's the graphical side that gets converted..not dat..
too different ......so what is the process...i'd like to have a stab at the
Park Lane at some stage......
Date: September 14, 2007 01:12AM
Posted by: mortal
Hi Jim, Duffer sent me a pm about Park Lane, perhaps you two could collaborate on that one :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 14, 2007 08:33AM
Posted by: dada
about gp3--->gp4 question ....

Read this [www.realgpx.com]

@gpx rookies ....also bookmark Lo2k's homepage at [www.realgpx.com]

Date: September 14, 2007 10:12AM
Ah-ha! So GP4 Builder has a database importer! Sweet! Might have to see what that is!

I have made the Most circuit from the Czech republic, and its prity sweet actually! I then started to make another version, not using the template for making a track which is available, but I the banks to the left and right are WAY off. I'll need to do up some sort of screenshotted document so you guys can see what I'm doing. It is possible though.

One comment on realgpx was "in five years, you've not missed any gp3 tracks" I think that Gp4 has come quite a long way in that time, and now with the new GP4Builder, and more confident track makers, I reckon that some GP3 tracks will now want to be converted. The only real problem lies within the mass building of landscapes for the track to look terrific. But with more and more practise, and perhaps a large database/library of bridges, pit buildings, pit walls, grandstands etc, we can start to make fantastic race tracks where the true potential of GP4 can explode and a whole new load of people can join this great community!!! :)

Thats my two cents.
Date: September 14, 2007 04:37PM
Posted by: Eaglefan9727
I would like to see Vegas and Dallas coverted over to GP4 one day. Hopefully, It will happen someday.
Date: September 14, 2007 05:38PM
Well, depending on how I get on with this track, I'd be willing to get the Dat file done at minimum. :)
Date: September 14, 2007 07:29PM
Posted by: Lo2k
If I remind well, .dat file is very easy to convert from .gp3 to .gp4 to get a basic track with sectors, verges and banks (but when I say it's easy, I mean it would be easy for me to make a converter, the manual way is of course at least very long). As I never worked on it, the gp3 .dat graphical side is still a mystery for me.

Date: September 15, 2007 12:33AM
Well, after about 6 hours work, I've got Most into GP4 format. Just one problem. How can I move the two sectors of the pit lane to where I need them, and rotate the sectors also.

I know the sides of the tracks are overlapping. I was taking the banking figures from the GP3, and halving the values and putting them into the banking for GP4. Its not too bad. The first time I did it, they were WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off, but that was with whole values. But you get the general idea. Layout, perfect, off by about 0.1 of a degree at the final sector, easy to square up.

Just need to know about the pits, and a little help in getting that done, and some MAJOR help in the CC department, and I'm sure that GP3-GP4 will really start to fly!

I'm gonna tidy up the banks for the sides of the track. If someone can help me with the pitlane, it would be mega appreciative!!! :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2007 12:34AM by Viper-F1.com.
Date: September 15, 2007 12:43AM
Posted by: Eaglefan9727
The question that I have is would anybody be willing to bring Vegas, Paris, and Dallas to GP4?
Date: September 15, 2007 01:14AM
Well, I've never touched the Dat files before, EVER, and I've done that, with a bit of trial and error. The tools and tuts are there. Have a bash yourself. Community is here to help out! :)
Date: September 15, 2007 02:21AM
How could you even open the DAT file from GP3 when I open it GP4 Builder crashes.
Date: September 15, 2007 02:30AM
Posted by: Paco
Surely because he didn't open it with gp4builder ;)

I'm against sigpics
Date: September 15, 2007 03:08AM
I know that but how do you save it to open it with GP4 Builder.
Date: September 15, 2007 04:58AM
Posted by: Briere
use the..........

GP3 Track Editor ;)

By Paul Hoad, available somewhere I guess :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy