Someone please help? Problem with textures (with pics)

Posted by thisisreallyneat 
I decided to try and make a Benetton B201 with a regular car shape rather than the MP4/18, to replace the Arrows car. I duplicated the Renault car lods to get the same car shape, then I started editing the Renault textures. I placed them all on the car shape in ZModeler, and it looked great, like this:

So I used the livery edtitor to make the new arrows car shape use this texture, but in the game it appeared a little different, like this:

Then after a few seconds, the texture changed completely back to the original Renault textures.

Can anybody explain why, and if what i'm trying to do can actually be done?

Thanks.
I think I must be doing something wrong with Livery Editor.

I tried seeing what would happen to the Benetton if I changed the Renault textures names (my Benetton textures are named B201_x.tex).
So I renamed the benetton_x.tex textures to renault_x.tex, and used Livery Editor to make sure the Benetton car lods were using renault_x.tex instead.
Then during the game, the Renault car didn't look right at all. Am I using Livery Editor incorrectly?

The Benetton was still wrong, but the Renault textures were no longer a part of it. Why aren't my Benetton textures appearing on the car as they should?
its not your fault mate...just flip and rotate the textures before you flatten the tga's ...don't ask me how or why ...thats exactly what i have to do

what i'd do:
use zmodeler or a hex editor to rename the tex calls (b201_X).
then flip the tgas vertically.
then in gp4master load a 512x512 tex, replace with your 512x512 (sizes must match!) tga downsamplle and save as b201_1.tex etc
unwad your cars with easy wad, copy new files in, rewad and play.

yours seem to have not been flipped (zmodelr and gp4 somehow need oppositely verticated files??)
and the black may mean you imported over a corrupt tex.
find a good one from one of bojans 2003 cars for exampls.

____
Tony

They are flipped! Thats the weird thing!
I made sure I flipped these things as SOON as I finished, trust me that's not the problem.

The problem is something to do with Livery Editor. For some reason I can't get this Benetton car shape to load my B201 textures.
What I did was load all the lods for both cars, and change the texture they use from benetton_x.tex, to b201_x.tex, but is hasn't worked!
Have I dont this right?
Thats broken Alpha Layers by the look of it

Open a working tex, load this texutre over it, resave, load the game again.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
But I think there's a problem with what I'm actually doing. See if this is ok:

I deleted all the Arrows car lods, then copied the Benetton car lods and re-named them to Arrows, so I could have the same shape.

Then I re-created the Renault car textures, and made Benetton car textures.

Now I'm trying to use these texture with the re-named Arrows car shape. So, I call my textures B201 and use Livery Editor to make the re-named Arrows car shape to use the B201 instead of the Benetton textures.

I've taken the textures, and saved them over a working tex file, and called them B201_x.tex. So in theory, GP4 should run with the re-named Arrows car shapes looking for B201_x.tex INSTEAD of Benetton_x.tex, and using that for the car. But that i'snt happening. Firstly the textures I have made are wrong, and secondly the car is still loading the Renault textures as well.

Does this explain it better?

youve written:
"So I renamed the benetton_x.tex textures to renault_x.tex,"

and later on
"So, I call my textures B201 and "

which is correct

try reassigning you textures in z-modeller instead of with livery editor.
load the shape into z-modeller, click on material editor (little red ball)
select the texture you want to change,then click on the texture name next to the primary texture box, then select replace texture and choose your new texture.

but first you could load each .gp4 of every lod into z-modeller and check to make sure that no materials are associated with your shape that shouldnt be there, because as you say youre definately getting renault textures thru your car.

by the way the flip texture business is something to do with the .tga format, ie compressed or uncompressed.
if i use a .tga straight from paint program in z-modeller then i have to flip it and map or map and then flip in game. but if i use gpmaster to insert the .tga into a tex, then use gpmaster to extract the .tga from the tex this new .tga can be used without flipping, ie will appear correct in both z-modeller and game
That sounds more like it, but why won't ZModeler open all of the .GP4 files? I can open arrows_car0, but none of the other arrows files. I get this error message:

Error importing/exporting file: Can't read this file!
Possible caused by: File is locked or has an invalid header.

I opened the arrows_car0, and deleted the benetton textures from the material editor. But when I loaded it back up to check, there are no textures in there at all. How can I add my B201 textures?
dont delete them, replace them as i wrote above.
if the files are locked use gp4 genius to unlock them, howeve if theyre the default .gp4 shapes and you cant open them then i think youre stuffed as some original shapes cant be opened.
I'm resorting to Hexeditor now. I've downloaded it and read the instructions on how to get your car in whatever slot you want, and i've gone through and changed all the files.

Now when I play the game, it crashes before the race loads!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy