Some 2009 cars on other PC are messy

Posted by Robbin Koolaard 
Some 2009 cars on other PC are messy
Date: March 01, 2010 02:18PM
Posted by: Robbin Koolaard
Guys, I installing my mate's PC with GP4. I copied my GP4.exe. And it worked fine. Next I copied my CARS.WAD file with the 2009 cars onto the PC but the graphics of the some cars are not mapped the same way as on my own PC (on which they are good). I've been searching for a solution all weekend. Looking at the size of the textures, resize them. I even set the graphics setting of GP4 on his machine equal to mine.
I extracted my cars.wad file and copied the files to the other PC. I created a new cars.wad on my mate's PC, but all this did not solved the problems. Not all cars are messed up, some are good. Also the steering wheel is messed up.

I ran into a post the mentioned deleting a backup file that GP4 creates, to solve problems with the pitcrew. Is this the answer or is it part of the answer.

Thanks for helping me out!
Re: Some 2009 cars on other PC are messy
Date: March 01, 2010 11:05PM
Posted by: mortal
Why copy bits of it? If I was doing that I would have copied the entire Infogrames folder to a dvd and copied that. However, the other pc would not have required registry entries, created when GP4 is first installed. If you haven't got original installations from an original cd to start with, how are we supposed to know exactly what you have there? Install GP4 from an original disc first, when that is working, you can move on to adding in the extras, testing as you go, then you can determine at each stage what if anything is causing the problem.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 02, 2010 01:02AM
Thanks for your reply. I have the original CD, installed it and it worked. After that I just did what you discribed. I know you cannot copy a running program from one PC to another.
I copied the circuits (S1CTxx) and tracks (xyz2001.wad). Tested it, found only my Hockenheim track ctd, which is strange considering these files are the same as mine. But that is not that important, yet. Other tracks worked ok, as far as I've checked.
So I decided to copy the 2009 cars. These have the two shapes. One is YohanFGP'shape for McLaren (by KTC), Brawn (by Exqo), Ferrari (by KTC), RBR (by Lee71), STR (not known), Force (Alexschumi), Toyota (by KTC), Williams (by Isaint) and my personal car (by myself); the other shape (by Vass) is Renault (by DaMon) and BMW (by Mapaq).

I extracted the original cars.wad and imported the copied cars, helmets etc. from my own PC's cars.wad and created a new cars.wad from that.
So there is no difference in the files, because it should not differ if I downloaded them from this great site or copied them from one PC to another.

What is so strange, the Brawn is good but the McLaren graphics were messed up. My personal car, Toyota and Force were also great, the Williams, RBR and STR are not. Both Renault and BMW also had messed up graphics. The shapes are good, I checked that while playing with game resoltions and texture detail in game. I did this in order to find the reason/solution. I think I tried every setting from low to high textures in the graphics menu to the resolutions 800x600 and 1024x768.
Now I'm back to the standard cars.wad again, and the org cars works. Next I try to find an encrypted GP.exe Patch 9.6, but using that is coping the exe over the org gp4.exe. So instead I used mine, well working, GP4.exe. I know about coping and registry problems. I'm IT consultant, so I'm aware of issues concerning registry. But still, copy the encrypted 9.6 pathed GP4.exe over the org GP4.exe should give problems, which do not accure (or not that I'm aware of). And the whole community did just that?
It has to be something else, and I'm done thinking it over and over, and trying very carefully little steps. Something is wrong, but the discription above (some cars textures work, and other do not) is strange. I'd rather had that all cars textures were messed up, that would have been easier I guess. It is not the painters problems, but my own. I also deleted the gp4state file to see if there was something left behind, but that didn't help either.
But I seem to miss something or fail to see a little detail. I have had some problems before but found the solution on the forum here. This is a really great place with a lot of knowledge and very helpfull people. I really like that.
Please try to reconstruct in your mind what I'm doing and what I might have missed. Anything, that you consider not important, can be the solution.
For now a good night, because I have to make a living and that doesn't come from GP4 for sure!
Date: March 02, 2010 05:03AM
Posted by: mortal
I am curious as to why you would extract the wad, only to recompile it on the other machine. Is there anything wrong with copying the entire wad? So if your wad is working, why bother compiling a new one, just copy it to the other machine. Alternatively, once you have created an original installation, then use the network/patch cable or burn the entire Infogrames folder to a dvd and copy the other machine. That is what I did here to get everything on to my simulator computer.
After an original installation, add the official patch and the no_cd. Get them here Patches If you are copying the entire folder, no need for it as your install should be patched already.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 05:11AM by mortal.
Date: March 02, 2010 06:47PM
Thanks for the link.
I recompiled the cars.wad to rule out mismatches. But you're right, it does not make a difference. Do you have any idea what causes my graphics issues? I mean, really everything is the same on my PC, so it should be ok on the other one I guess. Which isn't, it bothers and puzzles me, because normally I get everything to work...so yes I'm frustrated, but just a little bit, still I am.
I will copy the no-cd-patch exe, maybe that will solve the issue (which I doubt).

cheers, Robbin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy