How to convert GPI To TGA ?

Posted by bazamatraz 
How to convert GPI To TGA ?
Date: August 28, 2003 08:10AM
Posted by: bazamatraz
Does anybody out there know of a utility available for converting GPI files to TGA format, and vice versa ? (before you ask, I have tried Carset Creator 4 but it resizes the images to what it wants, which is no good for what I want to do, and I have also searched on this forum but can't find anything useful).
Re: How to convert GPI To TGA ?
Date: August 28, 2003 08:30AM
Posted by: ZaZ
So what do you want to do?
There's no information about the resolution stored in gpi files.
So cc4 just looks at the filesize and then determines what the resolution should be. (just like gp4 probably does)
So if you want to make higher resolution gpi files i think i have to disappoint you.
If that is not your problem, i think you'll have to have a little bit of patience..
there's a new gp4 editor on its way which should do all there is possible to edit so far ;)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: August 28, 2003 01:20PM
Thanks for the reply ZaZ

I'm not wanting to change the resolution or change the size of any images, just to convert the gpi to a format (e.g. TGA) that can be easily edited in any standard paint program, then to convert the edited image back to GPI format. Obviously there is some code written (I believe by Jon Walton?) that can open GPI files, but unless they are the size the app is expecting them to be, it resizes them to fit whichever window it displays them in, if necessary by stretching and repeating the image several times until the window is filled - and it is only this corrupted image that can be saved as TGA. I need to edit some of the other smaller GPI files (i.e. that are not either driver pics, team logos or grid cars), but it looks as though I may have to come up with my own conversion utility or editor to do it.

Unless you or some one else knows of any existing code that has been already published or which can be modified to do this ... ?

Post Edited (08-28-03 20:22)
Date: August 28, 2003 01:54PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hmm...i have to fix some things here cause we worked together, Jon and I, developing 2 tools in parallel.
His as the advantage to let you edit files with weaks you listed plus one : it only displays team's gpi files.
Mine can't edit files but can preview every gip files as acdsee does for any picture format.
Untill a recent time, i wasn't able to export gpi to tga but i hope to do this in a next future.
About gpi sizes, you're wrong, Jon and I lost many time searching how to find them but in fact they are all listed in a file near the gpi folder, so every gpi file as it's own size declared and gp4 use that size to read gpi file.
So gpi will be editable one day.

Date: August 29, 2003 02:19AM
Posted by: tux
um, try this

open csc, goto the team art thingy, and import a teeam. then click load gpi? and find the gpi then save as tga. if its stretched in csc4 it shouldnt be stretched when u save as tga

Date: August 31, 2003 11:18AM
Thanks for the info

As far as carset creator goes (version 1.2 beta4 or something), as I said in my previous post on this topic, it doesn't work, it just saves the TGA's in their corrupted form just as displayed in the image in the team art tab.

However, it's okay now, as after a few hours of head-scratching/coding earlier today, I finally managed to come up with a conversion utility that does just what I want.

So thanks again to y'all !

Post Edited (08-31-03 18:19)
Date: August 31, 2003 11:43AM
Posted by: tux
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy