GP4 and realism yet again following Montoya's spin

Posted by LarryM 
GP4 and realism yet again following Montoya's spin
Date: August 25, 2003 12:59AM
Posted by: LarryM
Montoya spun in Hungary. How did it happen?

"I made a mistake with ten laps to go. I spun; I just backed off too much. I lifted and just lost the rear." :-o

This doesn't happen in GP4- or does it? It does happen in a certain other game (not mentioning the name so I don't get accused of OT in this forum), the physics of which have been criticised for being "too hard and unrealistic".
I don't play this other game so much nowadays, since graphics are not not capable of handling races acceptably, but thought I would mentioned it.
Gp4 rules ...except for.......and......

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: GP4 and realism yet again following Montoya's spin
Date: August 25, 2003 01:25AM
Posted by: WallyTP
I have to agree with you. I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw Montoya spin. This is not the first time I have ever seen a real Formula one spin that resembles very closesly that other game. Unfortnatly if it wasn't for the stupid AI, track graphics, low FPS during a full race, then that other game would have been unbeatable, but I will stick to GP4.
Date: August 25, 2003 01:34AM
Me too .. until the things you mention get fixed.
BTW I tried out that game's previous version (2002) and the GP4- converted Hungaroring. EA's Hungary is a joke but the converted track was again a great experience. I'd forgotton. Why can't we have more of this. ...Or what about some serious physics editing in GP4?

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: August 25, 2003 02:55AM
Posted by: badi
...and at any other aspect of a race or F1 car I don't think about the other game...

SAUBER will be back!
Spins happen in GP4, especially in Hungaroring, if you are to high on kerbs.
Date: August 25, 2003 03:10AM
Spins happen sure, but not as a result of lifting and/or changing down gears to quickly.

Badi: other aspects. Hmmm. AI is incredible in GP4 and that makes up for most things. The Graphics (for me at least) are better. The tracks are better. It's the physics and the feeling of the car that perplexes me. Also we are missing camber and toe as well various other items in the setup.

Let's not start another comparison thread. I would be really interested to hear if anyone has been able to edit GP4 physics to a realistic level?

Post Edited (08-25-03 10:10)

Larry
Date: August 25, 2003 03:17AM
Posted by: badi
In an F1 car you cannot change cears down too quickly and spin nowadays.

SAUBER will be back!
Date: August 25, 2003 03:19AM
Posted by: Pooky
yeagh i think thats true, they have a computer watching the gear selections, and if the wheel speed is too high for a certain gear then it wont change down

Date: August 25, 2003 03:40AM
Posted by: edd882
Of course there is more to it in reality than there is in GP4.

But then he spun in a race, which you wouldn't be doing in 'the other game', because it's still as incomplete now as a game (5th attempt) as it was it was first released back in 2000. Unless you're happy just doing test laps, there's nothing more.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do you see Darrell Waltrip using up his tyres?
Date: August 25, 2003 03:52AM
edd882, you are right, just hot-lapping.. As I said, it's GP4's physics I am curious about.

Paul:
Actually, I've noticed GP4 won't let me change down too quickly, It seems to hesitate until I reduce speed accordingly. This is something you don't notice if you use auto gears of course.
That other game has a lot of flexibility btw, you can have eg. auto change up + manual change down, which some drivers seem to use.

Paul, you had a look at someone's tweaked physics file a while ago. Was it any good?

Larry
Date: August 25, 2003 04:16AM
hi yes,

i did use the physics files and i think it is pretty good

one problem in gp4 is the 'stiffness' of the cars, i know that F1 cars are stiff cars, but in gp4 they hardly roll

where as in F1C you can see the car lean etc. into the corner if you know what i mean

and this physics file replicates it quite good. i think the 'slip angle' on they tyres is better, thus allowing the car to slide more

in the default gp4 physics, the tyre slip angle is smaller, so the car will not slide in a nice manner, it will sudenly let go and catch you out

altho this is quite realictic too, as the grooved tyres in real F1 have a low slip angle

Date: August 25, 2003 04:46AM
Can you please send me the physics file Paul, my e-mail has changed:

l.murray@kolumbus.fi

I'd like to test that out.
Thanks

Larry
Yeah i would like to receive that physics file too if you don't mind sending it to me too: fa038930@skynet.be

ty in advance

Greetings Steven
I would also be very Appriciative of it if you could send it also.

AM2_Shenmue@hotmail.com

Add me to msn or either send it me via e-mail, I don't mind. As long as you have the time to do it.

i think they do happen in gp4, well they do for me, must be setup dependent , for me its at Imola , Hungry and Indy ,

Refuse to Lose
what ????
try to touch the inside kerb in accelleration with the front wheel ,
and it is always a question of set up if you use holyday setups the car is like a cadillac but you i search for the limit and you take out steering help everything change , not to mention taking out the antispin
ciao
Date: August 25, 2003 09:56AM
ps:

i lost the car when i downchnged manually too fast and i spun exactly like motoya

so gp4 is quite good in that respect altho it could always be beter

But did you have to try to make it spin? Were you doing it deliberately?

"Treat others with respect and you too will be respected." Oac - ed'c dnia - E ys yldiymmo drec cyt. :)
Where you driving as DC? If so, id expect a better excuse than that!:)

'The beak of Ayrton Senna's chicken is pulling ahead!' ~ Murray Walker
Date: August 25, 2003 11:51AM
hehe, yes i was driving a mclaren!

but no, i did not try to do it, i was just doing a hotlap with manual gears and i lost the car under braking and while downchanging too fast and i did exactly what montoya did in hungary!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy