mortal's W.I.P simulator build project [RELEASED]

Posted by mortal 
mortal's W.I.P simulator build project [RELEASED]
Date: September 03, 2009 10:59AM
Posted by: mortal
Bought the steel the other day, even scammed them for $9.90 on the cutting. I went into town with Richard and the girl at the counter said do you want those six metre lengths cut for transport and Richard said "No, we'll be right". So we get out the back with the picking order and the guy there said "Richard, I'm not letting you guys six metre lengths on the ute, the RTA will book you, they'll have to be cut." So I scored the cutting for free. :-)
So, down the road to Richard's place this morning and I cut the pieces up and the base frame has been welded up.
Richard called this bit laying down the keel. Here he is doing what he does best.

He said it's a thing of great beauty lol. It's just over 1.5m long and 750mm wide. Using 25mm x 1.6mm box steel.

There's a Gheppardo racing seat to go on it, two bass shakers, a mixer amp, the G25, two 4" inch speakers, the computer and a sub-woofer amp module.
Don't ask for a release date.... ;) n

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 10:11AM by mortal.
Re: mortal's W.I.P simulator build project
Date: September 03, 2009 11:06AM
Posted by: msater
That's awesome! Like the way you scammed them for the cutting! ;)

Btw, is your old simulator up for sale once this is built and finished? I'd be quite interested in buying it if it is. :)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 03, 2009 11:17AM
It is, bit I'll sell it locally, probably at the Sunday car boot market. It's a bit big to ship anywhere, what with you being in the old dart n'all. :-).

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 03, 2009 11:23AM
Hmm. True. Have you got the plans, or anything like that, or drawings that you used to build it? I'd appreciate them, then I could build something similar. ;)

Date: September 03, 2009 11:31AM
I have plans, just a rough drawing on a piece of paper. I can post the dimensions once it's finished. Got welding skills?

Date: September 03, 2009 11:57AM
I know somebody down my road who has, and if he's unwilling to do, I can see if school could help out. :);)

Thanks for this Mal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2009 11:58AM by msater.
Date: September 03, 2009 11:59AM
Posted by: Shaddix
cool, I'm curious to see the result :D

F1Champs.net - F1 Manager Game (WIP)
Date: September 03, 2009 06:53PM
Posted by: J-C-2
I told you 1 week ago i was very interested in the project.
Never imagined you show here instead of the other place ;).
Very nice start. Really looking for final result.

Cheers :)

Gp4world aka: Jcaranti
Racing Generation: Web Admin
WE OPENED AGAIN, COME AND JOIN US.
Date: September 03, 2009 08:14PM
Posted by: Charrel
Whoop! :D Thats just awesome mate!

I would love to have something like that ;)

Good luck with the project..

Race starts: 141 | Points: 886 | Podiums: 35 | Race wins: 10

Follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
Date: September 04, 2009 06:13AM
Posted by: Bigbrother
i would take a patent on it and maybe you'll have a new job, making simulators. It could be a hole in the market :-)
Date: September 04, 2009 03:44PM
Posted by: Stoopid
Any news Huh? Huh? LOL!

PS For those who don't know that was a joke ;)

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
Date: September 04, 2009 03:52PM
Posted by: Shaddix
when is the release of your simulator? ;)

F1Champs.net - F1 Manager Game (WIP)
Date: September 04, 2009 03:54PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I canz have linkz???? LOL ;)

Does look good though, and I agree with BB

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: September 05, 2009 12:53AM
Looks good? LOL, It's barely started. :-) Wait till the seat mounting frame and the steering wheel housing is fitted, maybe then it will start to look like something. Buying the plywood for it this morning. I'm having nightmares about how it's all supposed to go together!

Re: mortal's W.I.P simulator build project..Updated 5/9
Date: September 05, 2009 01:12PM
Did a bit more today. Fitted the seat mounting rails.

Richard welding the seat rails.

Tacking the G25 and screen supports.

Cutting the supports to the right height.

Some straps fitted to the top of the supports.

A sheet of timber will be fitted to the straps, drilled for the G25 bolt holes. Next job will be the gearshift mount and after that the support for the pedals as they have to go in on an angle. Richard said today it has to have a fire extinguisher mount, remember what happened to Nicki Lauda. I'm more worried about where the beverage holder is going to be. He wants to put a rear wing on it, and wire wheels lol! :-)

Date: September 05, 2009 01:46PM
Posted by: schroeder
really great project, mal. i like such homemade stuff...
how high will the g25 be? remember that the f1-drivers almost lie in their cars...
looking forward to see the final result, and especially the first test-drive-feedback.
;)

matt
Date: September 05, 2009 02:29PM
My first simulator was built F1 style, it is quite long and very low to the ground. Not much higher than 700mm and it has adjustable pedals, they can be moved forward or back as the seat position is fixed.
This one is built more to suit touring cars although it will get used for F1. Richard said I should get some metal sheet laser-cut with F1 on it and put it on the back or somewhere and I said I doubt the FIA or FOM would be happy and he said why not, I have F1 on my keyboard! Great sense of humour lol. Anyway, I really needed to save some floor space by having a smaller overall footprint. That's why I decided to go for this design instead. Total length is 1.5m x .75 wide. My other simulator is over 2m in length so I'm saving half a metre or more.
The height of the G25 from the floor of the simulator will be 600mm. The seat is on rails for car mounting and the simulator has the mounting rails at 150mm or maybe 170mm above the simulator floor. It puts the G25 at normal height when in the seat. There will be some space in front of the G25 to mount a monitor. That 150mm or so under the seat gives me some space either for the computer, the sound amp and the sub-woofer module, I haven't decided exactly what I'm doing with that part. There's two bass shakers to go on it somewhere as well. I'm thinking one on the floor in front of the pedals and the other fitted under the seat.
The whole thing could have been lower by 150mm, but then I would have to make it bigger on the sides, or longer, to accommodate the amps and computer as it will be fully self contained. I want to be able to transport it, take it to a party, to the car boot market, plug it in and race, without having to dismantle my main computer to do it. Slide it into the back of the ute and go. :-)
We're not doing anything more until Tuesday now as Richard has gone to Brisbane.

Date: September 05, 2009 05:28PM
Posted by: senna9194
Date: September 06, 2009 01:27AM
Wait till you see the fire extinguishers, the chrome wire wheels, the fan for that wind in the face sensation, the rear wing with end-plates, the four point safety harness and the beverage holder. ;-)

Date: September 07, 2009 12:24AM
Posted by: Stoopid
Oh yes! Beverage holder, gotta have a beverage holder! Its more important than the computer, amp, sub woofers and speakers! Cos, as long as you have a beverage or six you can get in and pretend to drive and make your own engine noises! ;)

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy