GP4 turning off laptop :(

Posted by Schumi82 
GP4 turning off laptop :(
Date: July 12, 2009 02:29PM
Posted by: Schumi82
Hello everyone, first time poster but been playing GP games for 15 years. Recently got back into GP4 due to a lack of wet weather on rfactor f1 mods! Got it working great on desktop pc but my problem is laptop. When it runs its brill, good PO levels and no slowdown BUT it crashes my laptop and turns it off. There is no crash to desktop or warning message, the system just switches *off* - then i have to turn it on. So here is what I have tried:

Does it with stanardard installion of gp4 and patched and with gpx - makes no diff.
Tried running in win 98/m compatibility mode - no change.
tried setting cpu to '0' - no change.
Tried debug mode in gpx - no change.
Tried fully wiping system and installing xp (from vista) - no change.
my graphics card is ait radeon x700 - drivers upto date, tried changes settings in ATI menu, force triple buffering and force 16/24bit etc - no change.

I have tried everything I can possibly think of. It does it on quick race, normal, practice laps etc - makes no differance. Could turn off within 3 secs for a minute or so, but it always goes off.

Its getting frustrating turning it back on waiting for it to boot then trying again, for it to fail and switch off. Been using this gaming laptop for years (since 2004) and never had a prob on any games, modern and old.

I have tried the search and am aware of the two big problem solvers - CPU set to 0/1 etc and running in compatibility mode, neither fix my problem and i cant find a post from anyone else who has had this. I dont give up on things and its starting to drive me CRAZY, please someone help if you can!! :)

Jon
Re: GP4 turning off laptop :(
Date: July 12, 2009 04:45PM
Posted by: msater
I would expect your PSU is not powerful enough to handle GP4's graphicsd. When a PSU gets too hot, it begins to loose power, and that is dangerous to the computer, so it turns itself off automaticcaly with no warning.

Turn your graphics down in the graphics.cfg, see if that helps. Report back. ;)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: July 13, 2009 01:54PM
Posted by: Ali
I would guess it is the temperature. It happened to me a couple of times, depending on the surface I play and how the air escapes from the laptop. Try to monitor that if you can.
Date: July 13, 2009 07:26PM
Posted by: harjinator
yeah, i'd suspect heat. My old laptop (acer aspire 5024) was the same. I attacked the vents of mine with a vacuum cleaner, and then used it propped up on a CD case and that sorted it...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: July 13, 2009 08:27PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, most probably a heat trouble, possibly the graphical card fan being unplugged or blocked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy