Need to install Directx8.1 error message

Posted by RonnyM82 
Need to install Directx8.1 error message
Date: January 03, 2006 09:16PM
Posted by: RonnyM82
Hey guys, recently got me a copy of GP4 and can't wait to get started i had no idea you can mod the game soo much i can't wait to get stuck into it, espcialy as my job is 3d modelling. but i a long way off surfacing a car i reckon. anyway more to the point i can't actually use my copy of the game yet, cos as soon as i click on play i get an error message saying that i need to install directx 8.1, which seems crazy to me as i have 9.0c installed on windows xp SP2. i have a very capable pc P4 3GHz 1.5 gb ram and a 128mb Geforce 6600 gt graphics card. any fixes available for this error?
i can only imagine it's somethign to do with the fact that GP4 was written for Directx 8.1 and there is some new code in version 9 that the code in GP4 installer doesn't recognise. PLEASE help me someone. look forward to hearing from you.

i can include ascreen shot if anyone needs one.
Re: Need to install Directx8.1 error message
Date: January 03, 2006 09:29PM
just getting insert correct cd now after i deleted the shortcut created by the install and redirecting it to the gp4.exe file. i suppose i just need the no-cd patch?
Date: January 03, 2006 09:33PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
install the no cd patch....then use gpx patch....

use this to run the game with...

[www.xs4all.nl]

this is helpful for newcomers to gp4...

[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2006 09:34PM by jimbob1.
Date: January 03, 2006 09:58PM
Posted by: senna4ever
Hi

Not a problem if yuo havent got NO CD or patch yet

Just leave the CD in CDROM and EXIT the PLAY screen. Then go to the GP4.exe file in the installed directory and dbl-click on it. The game will start up from there.

Best however is to install the Encrypted GP4.exe and get the latest Gpxpatch and go from there.

Good Luck
Date: January 04, 2006 12:37AM
cheers guys i sorted it anyway, i found the search for these forums and sussed it out from there, but cheers anyway, i've been playing for the last couple o hours now. just one thing though, as i have a brand new system with a geforce 6600 gt graphics card shouldn't i be able to turn everything up to the max graphics wise and it run sweet as a nut? cos the graphics seem quite slow, and when i tries to do the auto configuration for the graphics settings the game freezes and then crashes. any ideas?

cheers

i'm just about to install gpxpatch now
Date: January 04, 2006 12:43AM
oh my god, what exactly is gpxpatch used for? there are HEAPS of settings i have no idea what they are used for, i'm guessing it's to hook up all the mods into the game and to control which ones are used when? and does it need to know my IP address for online gaming?
Date: January 04, 2006 12:49AM
and i have a pentium 4 3GHz processsor, so shouldn't that handle the gaming graphics sufficiently? as i just read that GP4 code was written to use CPU power and not GPU power/resources, due to the year it was written? just out of interest does anyone know if they are ever going to make a gp5?
Date: January 04, 2006 01:37AM
Posted by: paulhackettevans
I think it's very unlikely that there will be a Grand Prix 5. This is because sadly Bernie Ecclestone's company which controls the rights to all Formula 1 products and licences sold the license to produce F1 computer games exclusively to Sony until 2007. So Geoff Crammond's Simergy could not go ahead with any such project. Sadly, that meant the end of Simergy and no more Grand Prix game development by them.

I think this is tragic because Grand Prix 4 is easily the best F1 game/simulator I've ever tried, and I have tried a lot! In its standard form, GP4 is showing its age, but if you read the FAQs and guides here, then download and instal the tools like CSM, GPXPatch, GP4Tweaker and the tracks, cars, season updates, etc available through this site's members, you'll find a superb and up-to-date gaming experience.

If this is what GP4 is capable of, just imagine what Geoff Crammond and team could have achieved if they had been allowed to continue the license.

It's also tragic when you actually try any of the Sony F1 games - they are all terrible! I was very disappointed with Sony's efforts for the PS2 over recent years. I've recently given F1 for the PSP a go, it's just as bad as the other Sony games. They're all undriveable and have terrible graphics. What a shame! I hope that in 2007 the license gets passed back to someone like Geoff Crammond and we can have a new generation of superb F1 simulators.

In the meanwhile, stick with this community and you'll have a great game to enjoy in GP4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2006 01:53AM by paulhackettevans.
Date: January 04, 2006 08:43AM
Posted by: b-tone
@Ronny - welcome :)
you should be getting good performance -- i've got a 6600gt but only a 1.4ghz procesor and can handle it ok. its a bit of a myth about cpu vs. gpu. its a mix of both, and a lttle luck ;-)

GPxpatch shouldn't need much configuring when you install it - it does a lot of things, but is pretty simple to use.
get CSM installed too then you can get some mods.

____
Tony

Date: January 04, 2006 10:57AM
Posted by: Willb
Hi Ronny, and Welcome to the forums!

If you would like to see what GP4's trakcs are capable of then you can try my Hi-Res Silverstone available from here:

[www.motorsportfotos.co.uk]

You'll need to register first (It's free!)

More info on the circuit and it's development can be found here:

[www.grandprixgames.org]
It starts to get good ablout half way down the page (where there are some screenshots :))

Regarding your graphics problem, Have you tried turning the framerate up?

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Hi guys new to the site i need some help getting my gp4 working with vista can someone tell me what patches i need to install. at the moment i just get the you must install the direct x 8.1 and im on version 9.hope you can help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy