Couple of quick n' easy questions...

Posted by thisisreallyneat 
Couple of quick n' easy questions...
Date: August 13, 2003 05:17PM
Posted by: thisisreallyneat
Hey, nice to see you all again...i'd be very greatful if someone could fill the gaps in my bleak knowledge......

Firstly, where are the names of drivers/teams kept? ie the car textures are in cars.wad, but which file contains the name/performance info?

B, I have a problem with my Minardi Trust and new Jaguar textures (i'm sure this has come up many times before but damnit, searching hasn't helped) - when either a Minardi or Jag isn't the car selected, the textures go all funny on it. But when I am watching that particular car it looks fine. How am I supposed to fix this again?

And erm...while I'm at it I might as well ask if it's possible (easy or not) to change the pitlane orders?

I think that's all I have for now, but beware, if I get stuck again i'll be back for more. :D

Sorry to waste your time...
Re: Couple of quick n' easy questions...
Date: August 13, 2003 05:24PM
Posted by: Ellis
Driver names are stored in the savegame state and the exe i think. Programs like Perf Editor, GP4Master, CSC etc can edit them.

B, I have a problem with my Minardi Trust and new Jaguar textures (i'm sure this has come up many times before but damnit, searching hasn't helped) - when either a Minardi or Jag isn't the car selected, the textures go all funny on it. But when I am watching that particular car it looks fine. How am I supposed to fix this again?

This means the highest LOD shape is working well, but the others are not working. If you have a hi-spec computer the easy way to fix this is to copy down the HI LOD shape to the lower ones to replace the borken ones. If your machines lower spec it will hurt the FPS, so not recommened for low spec rigs

And erm...while I'm at it I might as well ask if it's possible (easy or not) to change the pitlane orders?

Its possible. Altho depending on what cars you are running and who made tham and what they called the file names it gets difficult :|

Oh, and welcome back!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 13, 2003 05:31PM
Thanks!

Nevermind about the pit order, I just wondered.

So these LOD shapes...would I just have to rename the hi_texs to replace the normal ones?

And about the drivers - say I wanted to use the names/performances I currently have on another computer, is there any way I can just copy something across so they have the new names?

Thanks again.
Date: August 13, 2003 05:38PM
So these LOD shapes...would I just have to rename the hi_texs to replace the normal ones?

Almost. Just the wrong file.

Look for the mianrdi carshapes. Will be something like

car_minardi_car1_lod_0.gp4

This is the first minardi cars highest Level Of Detail (LOD)

make a copy of that file and rename it to the following

car_minardi_car1_lod_1.gp4
car_minardi_car1_lod_2.gp4
car_minardi_car1_lod_3.gp4
car_minardi_car1_lod_4.gp4

You will have to delete the files already named this of course

Same goes for car number 2.

For transfering the names -

Download something like "GP4 Performace editor" and take it to the other comp. Import the names and save the file in GP4Perf format. Stick it on floppy, take over to new comp. Load up GP4 Perf editor again, load the file and export.

And you done :D

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 13, 2003 06:11PM
Success!
Thanks for helping me out on that, now i've encountered another problem, lol.
Same thing as the Jag/Minardi textures...this time with the Kiesa helmet I downloaded. I've put it down in the driver23 slot but weird things keep happening to the texture during the game....your diagnosis Dr Ellis?
Date: August 13, 2003 07:20PM
hm, that does sound odd. Driver 23 might be one of the special case helmets

*checks*

dam, no its not (Cars 9, 10 and 21 are loaded from a different place - check the helmets you have for these cars - they might be wrong)

Im guessing the helmet is mapped differently from normal or the kiesa helmet wants different mapping.

I got a Kiesa helmet from this site and am using the helmet shape which has the hans device added to it also (altho with this shape you dont get the the sponsor on the helmet visor on external views).

Try a new helmet shape. If this does not work, try a different kiesa helmet.

For whatever reason, it seems the Kiesa helmet doesnt like the helmet shape.

Date: August 13, 2003 11:22PM
Posted by: b-tone
changing order to 2003 isn't too hard, and a good first step in taming the gp4 beast.

it involves the carshapes files (named like car_minardi_car1_lod_1.gp4).

back up your cars.wad first.
then download EasyWad by Zaz from this site.
copy your cars wad to another place (temp/)
after installing EasyWad you should be able to right click on the wad and 'Decompress it to a folder'.

with the cars they are named sfter 2001 order.
so team 1 is called car_ferrari_carX_lod_Y.gp4 etc.
so if you want minardi in slot one, just rename all the car_minardi_carX_lod_Y.gp4 files to car_ferrari_carX_lod_Y.gp4.

for 2003 order i'd make 8 new folders, (temp/williams, temp/arrows etc) and copy one teams files into each.

ferrari, jordan renault/benetton remain unchanged, so you don't need to do anything with them.

rename he bar files to sauber and vice versa.
do the same swapping with mclaren and williiams
rename jaguar to arrows
rename minardi to jaguar
rename toyota to minardi
rename your 11th team to prost.

you'll also need to do the same renaming with the cp_TEAMNAME.tex files. (the cockpit textures)

copy all the files back to where you got them (temp/cars/cars),
and right click on the temo/cars folder and choose 'recompress to wad'.

maybe i've said it wrong, but try if you like :)
make sure you backup.

____
Tony

Date: August 14, 2003 06:48AM
the problem comes if the teams are picking up different textures and stuff tho

The pit garages are amazingly difficult to do...well not really, just takes AGES since u gota shift through loads of tex files finding the garages - use Ricardo Lamparts one for that

Date: August 14, 2003 06:53AM
the problem comes if the teams are picking up different textures and stuff tho

The pit garages are amazingly difficult to do...well not really, just takes AGES since u gota shift through loads of tex files finding the garages - use Ricardo Lamparts one for that

Date: August 14, 2003 07:19AM
Sounds like a lot of work....think i'll leave it for now :D.

Funnily enough I am using the Kiesa helmet from this site but it's still screwy. From the T-cam view Kiesa's face appears on top of the helmet! (And they are the right way around).

Where can I get a new shape?
Date: August 14, 2003 07:24AM
appears on the TOP of the helmet?

They HAVE to be the wrong way round :S Theres no way it cud load the face there, even if the mapping was a bit screwed, it wud do it to all the cars :S

Tried swapping the files over?

If im wrong the new shape is in the downloads - helmets section of this site :)

Date: August 14, 2003 07:32AM
Well first of all I used Kiesa helmet files that were TGAs, so I just replaced the helmet that was already there (Firman's). Then during the game Kiesa's helmet kept switching to show parts of Firman's. So I tried completely removing the driver23 helmet and putting Kiesa's TEX files there instead. The problem was solved but Kiesa helmet still goes a bit funny. And I they are actually the right way around! The top of Kiesa's helmet shows half of his face, but on the TV cam the helmet looks fine (most of the time), so it must be the shape perhaps? I'll look for it on the site and give it a try.
Date: August 14, 2003 07:36AM
ahhh i THINK i know

Load up the helemt in GP4Master and press the "downsample" button. Do this for both texs and then export over into the game and it should work :)

Date: August 14, 2003 07:57AM
Hmm...well I think i've done that right but apparently it doesn't want to work still. The textures are deffinately in the right place, they just don't look right during the game. I've downsampled them and saved them, have I done this right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy