Another GP4 Network Gaming Related Thread...

Posted by Willb 
Another GP4 Network Gaming Related Thread...
Date: April 01, 2009 04:37PM
Posted by: Willb
Hi all,
So I've been trying to get GP4 to work over a normal lan..

Me and a mate have identical installs, using gpxPatch, can connect fine however its so very very slow..
We switched from 10/100 speed to gigabit and theres no difference, even when we tried a normal fresh install of gp4 + 9.6 + nocd + gpxPatch it was stil labout 15 fps, its ridiculous.

What on earth do we have to do get a smooth race, this was without non-player cars btw.

We are contemplating turning one of our patch cables into a crossover, but I cant see that that will make any difference now - especailly as we both have gigabit cards and a gigabit switch which we are connecting through.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
This is SO frusterating..

Wills

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Re: Another GP4 Network Gaming Related Thread...
Date: April 01, 2009 04:41PM
Posted by: 32BOBO32
i remember that in 2003 using gp4 in lan with my friend we had to set to 640/480 or 800/600 to run it in normal mode without slow motion...

Samuele
32BOBO32
Date: April 01, 2009 05:14PM
Posted by: n00binio
try the ipx protocol instead of tcp-ip or vice versa, depending on what you used

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: April 01, 2009 07:11PM
Posted by: Willb
I would have no Idea how to do that - Its not even in the dropdown.

Anyway! not that we need to no - it works great, with 1440x900 res, pretty much max graphics with my current custom f1graphics.cfg. We found out that gp4 uses hardly any of our gigabit connection, what was causing it was gp4 syncing what appears to be some collision detection stuff. I reduced the "Max particle time slices per second" in f1graphics.cfg from 200000 or something ridiculous down to 2000 and it was SO much more playable.We now get about 25-28 fps with only a few seconds slow mo. Im still experimenting with reducing that setting some more, however it does seem to be working much better (even with ai cars aswell!)

Now to start upgrading to 2009!

Thanks
Wills

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy