AA and AF in GP4

Posted by joshdifabio 
AA and AF in GP4
Date: August 07, 2003 03:52AM
Posted by: joshdifabio
Hello everyone. I have a radeon 9600pro so 6x *antialiasing and 16x ^anisotropic filteriing (AA and AF) on 1024*768 do not slow down the game at all. Unfortunately those of you who are farmiliar with AA will know that it may make your games' graphics look great, but it tends to bugger up menus and text. Unfortunately whenever I pause my game the 'Pause' text that appears makes the screen go grey, and all you can see is the 'Pause' text in the middle of the screen. Does anybody know how to completely remove the pause text from GP4. (There is a patch on this web site but all it does is makes the game type nothing instead of pause so the translucent grey backing which you get behind sky messages on GP4 stays so I still have the problem. If you don't understand what I mean then tell me and i'll try 2 explain.

* Sharpens edges of 3d objects to reduce pixelisation (looks awesome on GP4).

^ Sharpens textures so that the lines and stuff are not blurred.

---------------------------------------------------------------

2002 F1 Constructors Standings

Ferrari - 221

Rest of F1 - 221
Re: AA and AF in GP4
Date: August 07, 2003 04:20AM
Posted by: LarryM
That's very interesting Josh. :-o
I have a Radeon 9700 pro and I can assure you that using AA and AF will certainly slow my game down. Or to put it another way: have you tried turning them down to minimum (all the way to the left) and playing the game. I think you will notice an enormous surge in performance. ;)

as a matter of interest: what is your rig (see mine in my sig below) and what resolution and graphical settings do you run Gp4 and what FPS do you get?

As for the grey pause screen, I have that too. This seems to be something to do with video drivers. I starting getting this problem when I updated my drivers. I also get a grey track loading screen. Neither of these bother me though. No idea how to get rid of them.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: August 07, 2003 04:38AM
Posted by: joshdifabio
Larry, thanks for your reply. AA and AF tends to bugger up with menus and text, if you turn them off (put them both on application preference) your loading screen will work and your pause screen will ont go grey. My res. is only 1024*768 - P4 2.4ghz, 512mb DDR, Radeon 9600pro 128mb. My motherboard's AGP slot is only 4x so my 8x radeon 9600pro is onoly running at half its bandwidth! AA and AF dont slow any of my games down at all, but I think that will change once I start running my card at AGP 8x.

On maximum graphics I run the game at 26fps which is smooth. On my old grapghics card 26fps was very jurky, and it is the same on my friends computer, i dunno why but crap graphics cards (even if the are below 100% po) jerk more than good cards on the same frame rate if u get my drift.

---------------------------------------------------------------

2002 F1 Constructors Standings

Ferrari - 221

Rest of F1 - 221
Date: August 07, 2003 04:56AM
I run at 35 fps. Smooth and steady. Also the impression of speed is very impressive. When the po stays below 100, the reaction of the controller and the speed-feel thing are in order. To benchmark changes I make in my system I use a partially saved race at Silverstone in the rain. Trackside cameras have 31 fps at the beginning steadying out to 37 fps once they get going. AA and AF are on app. preference.

So, what you are saying is, if I force 6x *antialiasing and 16x ^anisotropic filteriing, I will be able to maintain my 37 fps and the po will not slooooooow the game down? I'll try it out tonight and I 'll believe it when I see it. :)

see also another thread of mine.
[www.grandprix3.com]

I achieved my current performance after tweaking my bios. BTW x8 AGP probably won't make a difference. It doesn't really show in my performance. AGP aperture size might. I have mine set to 128 mb, which seems best.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: August 07, 2003 02:53PM
OMG!! :-o :-o :-o

I'm a believer! I just put 4x antialising and 16x anisotopic filtering on and the game looks really beautiful- no more jagged edges and fps is still running at the 35 I set it to! Grid at Hungary drops to 31 fps at start but rises to my 35 fps almost immediately.
THANK YOU Josh, I would never have believed it. Pay attention Radeon owners.
BTW I also tested v-sync on and off. I get slightly higher fps (+2-3) on the full grid start with v-sync off.

Larry
Date: August 07, 2003 08:12PM
Posted by: kappie
Just because you're using a 4x AGP card instead of an 8x, you are NOT running at half your bandwidth. Trust me, as soon as your card starts using the AGP port to use system memory, you know about it - big performance hit. Why do you think cards have been coming out with more and more memory?

Dont worry about 8x AGP, its just gimic/wank factor, there is no appreciable performance benefit if your card has adequate memory onboard.
Date: August 07, 2003 10:03PM
Tried out a couple of games with yhe above aa and af settings. F1C was crippled by this. I lost about 30 fps. IL2 forgotten battles (flying sim) dropped about 10 fps but still works well and looks even better (if possible).

The effect of these settings on gp4 bring the look of the cars (sharpness)eg. closer to F1C level. you can notice it eg. in the helmets which are not so blurry anymore.
All-in-all great. ;)

Larry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy