Effect of monitor frequency on fps?

Posted by LarryM 
Effect of monitor frequency on fps?
Date: August 06, 2003 07:39AM
Posted by: LarryM
Having been nearly suicidal at one stage trying to get my fps to a reasonable level, I have been overjoyed to have my game run 1280x1024 with everything on max incl haze and dynamic em etc. at a steady 37 fps (in replay grid start in the rain dropping to 33 fps but back to 37 fps by turn 1). My Bios where well-tuned but no overclocking. I was in heaven.

For the past 2 weeks or so I have been trying to get improved performance from F1C and I have made changes in monitor frequency. F1C has improved but graphical performance is far from perfect (compared to GP4).
This morning I set out again with Gp4 to do a few laps of Hungary. In the pits my FPs dropped to 32. Odd. Then I start off on my practice lap. I am getting 37 fps slipping to 36 here and there. This indicates (I suppose) that po is going well over 100. Then I come to the last turn into the pit straight and BAM! :-o I am down to 20 fps and the controls are lagging. So I continue and it seems to me, that although, after the pit straight I continue to have 37fps, the feeling of speed has gone. Everything looks slooow. At first I had thought this might be a reaction to having played F1C for so long (The feeling of being there: speed , shakes, ff, etc) might have dulled my senses. On the pit straight again Bam! :-o 19-20 fps.

I changed my monitor frq back to 75mhz and then I had to go to work (sigh!). I will test things this evening. In the meantime, has anyone any thoughts on this phenomenon?

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: Effect of monitor frequency on fps?
Date: August 06, 2003 08:07AM
Posted by: Max Downforce
I would give you my firstborn child for 37 fps...........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: August 06, 2003 08:16AM
Posted by: jawwad01
lol
i only get 20 :D :D :D

Date: August 06, 2003 09:12AM
Posted by: aquarius_varun
I get only 16 with occassional shutters for everything turned on at 1078*768 :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Inspiron 9300, Intel Pentium M 1.86 ghz, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista Ultimate, 256 MB Geforce 6800 Go, 1920x1200 screen res ;) (ooH YEAHH!!!) Saitek X-45
Date: August 06, 2003 09:22AM
Posted by: tux
42 at 800*600 and it looks great :)

Date: August 06, 2003 10:17AM
Yes but none of you realise the pain I went thru to get to 37 fps. I could have somewhat more in practice runs and on some tracks, but I don't believe it could look any better. Back to check what I screwed up.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: August 06, 2003 12:42PM
Ok. I found the problem. At some stage, my Bios decided to default to factory settings. This meant that my memory timings where blaah and init display first was on pci and not AGP. The on-board sound was enabled and agp was 64 (instead of 128, whic is best). After fixing these Hungary is fine 37 fps inpractice , no surprises. But at the beginning of a race back of grid Iam down to 29 fps for a while. My replay of rainy silverstone ised to drop to 33 at the start and rise to 37fps by turn one, now its at 26 fps at the start and 27ish at turn one. When I turn off dynamic em, I can watch the replay at 31 at the start anf 37 after turn 1. So there is still something.
For those of you struggling with fps, check out your bios sttings (advanced chipset). Maybe someone will get some benefit from my messups. ;)

Larry
Date: August 06, 2003 02:31PM
Reduced texture preference and mipmap quality from high quality to quality. and I'm back up to speed again (33 fps rising to 37) yeehaw ;)
Funny thing in my benchmark replay of rainy silverstone: When I use certain fast forward/back buttons, I lose the spray behind the cars. When I push the "right " replay buttons it comes back on again :-o. ??Odd

Larry
Date: August 06, 2003 03:24PM
Posted by: bazza
40 at 1024*768

High Details

Getting a new graphics card this week hopefully

Probably a ATI Radeon 9700

Date: August 06, 2003 05:11PM
Posted by: Madman271
Well, I'll try to answer the "real" question on the thread title.

Monitor frequency is does affect on rendering for most video cards. DirectX also waiting monitor vertical retrace before rendering. Because of this, OpenGL settings still provide "v-sync" setting to boost framerate.

In theory, higher monitor frequency will improve framerate. But this rule only affects on lower resolution (1024x768 and below) since video cards already done rendering textures before next monitor retrace occurs. On higher resolutions, video cards often lost few retraces before all textures actually prepared for rendering. To minimize this process time, poweful vides card and processor are required.

Please note, rendering polygons (wireframe mode) has no or less affected to framerate (except those polygons are recalculated every frame rendering).

Hope this help.

In reality, doesn't matter who's right but most important is who's left.
Date: August 06, 2003 05:23PM
mohaa letts u disable v-sync, so cant it be disabled for gp4?

Date: August 06, 2003 05:29PM
Yeah.
Use older graphic driver which still provide v-sync for DirectX. :)

Date: August 06, 2003 05:31PM
too lazy :( ;)

but it will only give like 5fps more improvement wont it? (and thats if the drivers are as good as the ones i gort now)

hmm, mabey that tweaker thing can...

Date: August 06, 2003 05:41PM
hey wait, it is disabled (aparently)

well thats what it says :-o

Date: August 06, 2003 05:44PM
Then use 2x2 textures. :)

Date: August 06, 2003 05:47PM
:rolleyes:

ok, some strange bugs have crept into gp4 today. sometimes when loading tracks (doesnt matter what one or what session, it even does it in gfx tests) it finishes loading the track and either does nothing, or locks my system up, or it crashes and i get a "this app has gone postal, do u want to send a report to bill gates bla bla bla".

and yay, im playing gp4 at 40fps :)

Date: August 06, 2003 05:51PM
I though the message is:
"congratulations. You are the 1000th people who receive fatal error. Please contact MS customer service to get free XP campaign banner which say 'XP 100% bugs free'. Thank you. BG". :)

Please note: BG = big grin. :D

Date: August 06, 2003 06:02PM
hehehehehe :)

Date: August 07, 2003 05:12AM
Posted by: joshdifabio
does v-sync speed frame rates up!!!??? I have it turned off in the ATI control panel

---------------------------------------------------------------

2002 F1 Constructors Standings

Ferrari - 221

Rest of F1 - 221
Date: August 07, 2003 05:17AM
I have v-sync off as well. This also means that when I run d3d tests in Dxdiag I get wildly spinning cubes. If I put application preference, the cubes are normal. I am not sure what effect this has on gp4. I tried configuring F1C with V-sync on and off and I don't think there was much difference. It may be game-dependant. I'll try it out this evening..after I follow-up your AA and Af advice.

Larry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy