random seeds anyone??

Posted by <Maverick> 
random seeds anyone??
Date: December 23, 2007 05:02PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
Hi guys, after installing gp4 after quite some time i'm really enjoying it. But i was wondering, gpxpatch has one great feature (imho) that i dont think a lot of people use. Random seeds, you can use your own custom weather. Problem is, i don't have any to put in there. Does anybody else??

I'm particularly looking for a race where the track is soaking wet but it's not raining at all, so it dries every lap. One where it starts raining after just a few laps is nice too.

Does anybody record his weather seeds? I hope so. Or maybe there should be a tool to define the weather you want and get a seed from it to put in gpxpatch?? (Laurent? :+ )

Re: random seeds anyone??
Date: December 23, 2007 06:58PM
Posted by: sunil
nice idea, anyone?

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Date: December 23, 2007 07:03PM
Posted by: vesuvius
wow have always wondered what does it do :o will have to try it hehe.... and welcome back Dave :)
Date: December 23, 2007 07:32PM
Posted by: Lo2k
No, sorry, I don't have any knowledge in the GPxPatch random seeds and if I remind well, SDI already told we couldn't predict weather from the random seed appearance. Anyway I hope too that weather mechanism could deliver its secrets one day.

Date: December 23, 2007 07:40PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, sorry, I don't have any knowledge in the
> GPxPatch random seeds and if I remind well, SDI
> already told we couldn't predict weather from the
> random seed appearance. Anyway I hope too that
> weather mechanism could deliver its secrets one
> day.

Bweh, i was just typing an email to you :P

You're right though, in the readme Renee states:
GPx uses pseudo random number generators to make each race a little different. These generators spit out apparently random numbers, but they're not. They are extracted from a starting sequence called a seed, and will start generating the exact same sequence again after a large amount of generated numbers. So, starting from a specific seed, the same number sequence is generated. Each time a number is extracted, the seed has changed (the extracted number is part of the current seed). This means the game can regenerate races. This is how replays in the game work, where the seed is part of the replay state. GPxSet's random seed feature will extend this by resetting the random seed to a user supplied value right before the start of the session, so all calculations that use random numbers will give the same results. Examples of such calculations include weather, performances and failures. Using this feature, offline leagues can make sure all participants are driving under the same conditions. The most important application of this is the same weather conditions for everyone, something that hasn't been possible before. It's best to use custom weather with a specific percentage for this, which can be specified using GPxSet too. For convenience, those settings are recorded along with the random seed.

Right now, the random seed feature only works for quickrace and unlimited practice. The used value is being logged by GPxLap and shown by HOFxLap.

Important: do not assume the same random seed will give the same results under different circumstances like a different track, different performances, etc., even while it may seem to work that way. A specific random seed has to be accompanied by a specific carset, track, car shape, etc. In other words, the ones who use the random seed should have the same conditions as the one who recorded the random seed. Most leagues already enforced the same conditions for everyone, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Also important: do not assume any pattern in the random seed value. For example, a higher value will not mean heavier raining, or better performances, etc.

Keep in mind that although the race conditions should be equal, it is of course influenced by user input, so no race can ever be the same unless you deselect all players. Also, testing has shown that GP3 1.00/1.13 gave slightly different results even when no players were selected. This should be considered a bug (maybe the same bug as the replay bug where a replay would sometimes be different from what actually happened).

Too bad. Still, it has to mean something right? sure it can't be decoded?
Btw, you can always just trial and error, for instance, if you use this seed: 15163,43453,57860,5947,35204,55868 you have a nice varied rain patern. We'll just have to wait until somebody gets the exact pattern we want. Maybe a database would be a nice idea?
:)

Date: December 24, 2007 01:50AM
Posted by: Prblanco
Well, I know that the rain produced by random seeds depend on rain percentage and number of player cars (different conditions for CC-only races and player-run races). There is a possibility there are also other factors which may have an influence.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: December 24, 2007 05:10AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
<Maverick> Wrote:
> Hi guys, after installing gp4 after quite some
> time i'm really enjoying it. But i was wondering,
> gpxpatch has one great feature (imho) that i dont
> think a lot of people use.

Lot of Gp4 League´s drivers use it!!!!!!. So its not new!!!.
Personally i use it since 2004!!!!

All i can say is "Welcome" to this feature.
Date: December 24, 2007 01:13PM
jcaranti Wrote:
> Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi guys, after installing gp4 after quite some
> > time i'm really enjoying it. But i was
> wondering,
> > gpxpatch has one great feature (imho) that i
> dont
> > think a lot of people use.
>
> Lot of Gp4 League´s drivers use it!!!!!!. So its
> not new!!!.
> Personally i use it since 2004!!!!
>
> All i can say is "Welcome" to this feature.

Well sure, the feature is old and has been used by leagues for ages. But the fun thing you can do with it (create great weather scenarios) is hardly used at all.

Date: December 24, 2007 01:44PM
<Maverick> Wrote:
> > Lot of Gp4 League´s drivers use it!!!!!!. So
> its
> > not new!!!.
> > Personally i use it since 2004!!!!
> >
> > All i can say is "Welcome" to this feature.
>
> Well sure, the feature is old and has been used by
> leagues for ages
. But the fun thing you can do
> with it (create great weather scenarios) is hardly
> used at all.

Lol you say what i say with other words!!! And Welcome again to this feature.
Personally i have a collection of weather seeds for the last 2 seasons imitating real F1 races, previous to that is just casual weather.
Date: December 24, 2007 01:55PM
jcaranti Wrote:
> Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Lot of Gp4 League´s drivers use it!!!!!!. So
> > its
> > > not new!!!.
> > > Personally i use it since 2004!!!!
> > >
> > > All i can say is "Welcome" to this feature.
> >
> > Well sure, the feature is old and has been used
> by
> > leagues for ages. But the fun thing you can do
> > with it (create great weather scenarios) is
> hardly
> > used at all.
>
> Lol you say what i say with other words!!! And
> Welcome again to this feature.
> Personally i have a collection of weather seeds
> for the last 2 seasons imitating real F1 races,
> previous to that is just casual weather.

How did you get those seeds? Just trial and error? or something with the magicdata?

Date: December 24, 2007 03:28PM
<Maverick> Wrote:
> How did you get those seeds? Just trial and error?
> or something with the magicdata?

Nothing to do with magicdata.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy