HELP!!! GP4 Keeps Crashing

Posted by Chris Freek 
HELP!!! GP4 Keeps Crashing
Date: October 03, 2007 05:22PM
Posted by: Chris Freek
Hi, pls be patient with me as I'm a total novice at all of this....here goes....

I tried to update the McLaren car to one I downloaded: MP422, but not knowing what to do with the files I mucked around with some of the .wad files but just ended up with a white car. I then decided to abandon the whole thing as I just wanted to play the game. So I uninstalled the game and did a fresh install. Now the game crashes when I'm on the starting grid. It doesn't just crash to desktop..it restarts my PC.

Any help would be appreciated. Please remember that I'm an absolute numpty when it comes to this kind of thing!
Re: HELP!!! GP4 Keeps Crashing
Date: October 03, 2007 11:12PM
Posted by: mortal
Please post your gpx_patch error log. For more info see the GP4FAQ sticky topic :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 04, 2007 12:25AM
I can't find the error log...where do I look for it?, I've looked in C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Grand Prix 4

I did warn that I'm a gimpoid!! :)
Date: October 04, 2007 01:58PM
download and use gpx-patch, again I suggest that you read through the FAQ ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 04, 2007 02:14PM
Yeah, I took your advice and read through the FAQs. I downloaded the GPX patch and have been running the game through that. I haven't had any crashes so far but now I have white cars, especially the Ferrari's and also some cars suddenly change into the Jaguar when I approach them. Looked through the FAQs about this problem but couldn't find anything except a broken link.

any help will be appreciated. GP4 is an amazing game, the best F1 game I've ever played, but it's so buggy which kind of takes the edge off the enjoyment.
Date: October 04, 2007 02:46PM
Posted by: racingstefan
Are you playing a MOD ????
If so, put your graphics all on high.
If you aren't i don't know what is wronge.
Date: October 04, 2007 11:23PM
Set cars to high textures in the in-game graphics menu, test and get back to us, you'll get it sorted. btw, if you're using a mod, get csm, you can adjust the mod's configurables and more. ;-)

Date: October 05, 2007 01:30AM
I've done that and Ferrari's are still white. I think I've downloaded CSM, I'll have a little tinker around with it.

Cheers for your help. Must be frustrating for your guys to be bugged by novices like me. I would just love to get this game in shape as it's such a great sim to play.

Thanks again amigo.

chris.
Date: October 05, 2007 12:50PM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
If you have GP4Builder or Editor, open the Ferrari model, and check the textures, not Materials. If the textures say, for example, hi_f2007.tga, then the game will be looking for the hi_hi_f2007.tex file. Thats not what your after. So you can then just remove the hi_ part, and the game will look for the correct file.

If it's all ok, and the texture file is looking at the correct files, then you'll need to change the graphics settings in-game to run the highest textures.

FAILING THAT!!!! Try removing the Hi_ from the Tex files of the Ferrari, and see if that works. :0P

Hope that helps. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :0)
Date: October 05, 2007 05:34PM
Posted by: Robert
if you haven't installed the official (v9.6) patch then do so :)

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: October 05, 2007 08:39PM
thanks for getting back to me. I don't think I've made things clear. I have not tried to update any of the cars. I am on a fresh install after mucking about with the Mclarens so am 'back to square one'. I've always had the Jaguar problem (other cars suddenly becoming Jags when overtaking) but the white Ferrari's is a new thing. so just to re-iterate. I unistalled and then re-installed the game and now have these problems.

Many thanks

Chris 'the novice pain in the arse!'
Date: October 06, 2007 10:17AM
get the official patch if you haven't, it's a must-have ok m8 ;-)

Date: October 06, 2007 05:55PM
Posted by: racingstefan
Date: October 07, 2007 03:41AM
He already has that mate, it's the Infogrames v9.6 official patch, on this site too :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy