A nasty bug in GP4

Posted by Lexy 
A nasty bug in GP4
Date: July 14, 2007 02:03PM
Posted by: Lexy
Having recently bought GP4 for a very low price, I found out that it won't properly work on my PC. After scanning through the internet in search of bug lists, I saw more people got this problem:
The game crashes, without any reason and at a random time, back to the desktop. It happens so often that I need to be lucky to complete a quickrace. It seems to be that it is due to the Operating System, but I'm not quite sure.
Then I tried it on an older PC I have, and here it seems that the game won't even start, just the black screen, and then back to the desktop, nothing more, nadda.
As the bug thread is a little old, I wanted to ask you all if any of you found a solution to this problem.
I got the original game with patch 9.6 installed. Are there perhaps any other (unofficial) patches that (might) work?

Thanks for your help!

About my PC:

Processor: Intel Pentium D, 2.8 GHz (dual core)
Memory: 1024 Mb RAM
DirectX: 9.0c
Video: ATI Radeon x1300 Pro (512 Mb)
Sound: Realtek HD Audio Output

About the older PC:

Processor: Intel Pentium 3, ~860MHz
Memory: 128 Mb RAM
DirectX: 9.0c
Video: No idea, but seems to be NVidia Riva TNT 2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (32 Mb memory)
Sound: Intel(r) Integrated Audio (type: WDM)
Re: A nasty bug in GP4
Date: July 14, 2007 02:53PM
Posted by: Lo2k
I don't know about the P3 computer (edit: graphical card might not fit the minimal game requirements) but crashes with the other computer will be solved if you disable hyperthreading (you can do that with GPxpatch).
Still the same old problem since the release of the game, 5 years before.
For every troubles, check the sticky on top of this forum, it has answers to almost everything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2007 02:55PM by Lo2k.
Date: July 14, 2007 06:36PM
I'd really like to try it out and see if it works for me, but I can't find any checkbox in GPxPatch(3.91) with hyperthreading? Could you please tell me how to find it? (Sorry, but I tend to overlook alot of things...)

Thanks!
Date: July 14, 2007 07:42PM
Posted by: sunil
in GPXpatch it won't mention with name HT, look for "0", "1" or "all" option in bottom right in first tab. there select 0 or 1. it won't crash in dual core's.

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Date: July 14, 2007 11:11PM
Posted by: Ali
HT never gave me any problem.
I used to have similar problems and crashes.
once in an Italian forum, someone said that I had to enable compatibility mode. That is:

1. Click the GP4.exe with the right button
2. Select Properties
3. Click on compatibility tab
4. Choose "Run in compatibility mode", with Windows98/Windows Me works fine for me.

I know it can sound a little bit silly, but it worked for me so great!
Date: July 15, 2007 11:26AM
@ Ali: thanks, but that was the first thing I tried, and it didn't help. I do however enable it now just to reduce any risk.

@ sunil & Lo2K: thanks both of you! It solved my problem. Thank you all!
Date: July 15, 2007 01:23PM
Posted by: dkpioe
i just got a dual core.. running gp4 exactly the same as on xp, it keeps locking up in replays. i have ticked in gpxpatch cpu "all" ill try to change it, and also run in winme compatiblity.
Date: July 17, 2007 11:55AM
Posted by: Udin
i have got the same problem if i press escape or try a other camera position or start a race it just gets back to the desktop
Date: July 17, 2007 12:46PM
Posted by: dolinseks
dkpioe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i just got a dual core.. running gp4 exactly the
> same as on xp, it keeps locking up in replays. i
> have ticked in gpxpatch cpu "all" ill try to
> change it, and also run in winme compatiblity.

You need to set it to 0 or 1, not to "all".

Date: July 17, 2007 01:15PM
Posted by: garmil
It might be your sound card. When I had a crappy sound card and tried using EAX option in GP4 and mine used to crash as well. Since I have a Creative Labs sound card, I play with EAX enabled. I'm not saying go out and buy a Creative Labs sound card, but see if it still crashes with EAX unchecked.
Date: July 17, 2007 02:11PM
Posted by: sunil
@ dkpioe

u don't need to run in compat'lity mode or any "discotheque":-) mode if u select 1 or 0 instead of "all" as u said u r about to change.

another thing if any case new tracks apart from original tracks of GP4 crashs even selecting 1 or 0, just check debug mode with medium option in GPXpatch will solve major problems like that.

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy