Setups- could someone please explain me why...

Posted by norseS4 
Setups- could someone please explain me why...
Date: July 17, 2003 11:31AM
Posted by: norseS4
the car comes lower to the ground during high speed if you increase spring-stiffness alone?????????????? This has happened to me and I can't get the grips on WHY this happens!!!! According to the perf data graphs, the car is resting on the packers in both cases, but with stiffer springs I get more plankwear:-o??

are you sure you have not made it softer rather than harder? it is a common mistake. try the opposite spring settings and make sure the car is off the ground enough. Front: 36mm Rear: 56mm

Re: Setups- could someone please explain me why...
Date: July 17, 2003 01:57PM
Posted by: Morbid
It actually makes sense that you get a bit more plank wear, if you stiffen springs and the car grounds a fair bit.

With soft springs, the car "rebounds" a bit when the plank connects to the tarmac. Think of it as dropping a plank from you hands. It also jumps up when it hits the floor, albeit not that much.

Stiff springs resists this "rebound" effect and forces the plank back on the tarmac. Stiffer springs will only save plank wear when the plank just has glancing blows on the tarmac, not when it solidly drags along.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 17, 2003 02:00PM
Yeah, iceman, I'm quite sure I increazed the stiffness. Before: 1200lb/inch after: 1550lb/inch. I did this only at the front end. The rear stayed at 700lb/inch. I find this kinda strange....

Go Finnland!!! from your westernmost neighbour N

Date: July 17, 2003 02:05PM
Hey Morbid, another neighbour!!!
At the first test the plank was just grounding during brakin', while afterwards it was down like 5 secs prior to the start of braking......

Date: July 17, 2003 02:35PM
Posted by: Morbid
Greetings to you up north!

I remember that is was like this in GP3 too.

I dunno if this works, but you could try and stiffen the bump dampers. Probably mainly fast, but a bit of the slow might not be bad either.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 17, 2003 05:54PM
Hei Danebror!!!!!

Yeah, I've tried that and it works better!! Still it grounds a tiny bit but much better. Will stiffen the dampers too much though, the car tends to go straight forward when I want it to turn then;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy