The INs and Outs of GP4 track Editing

Posted by prayerson 
The INs and Outs of GP4 track Editing
Date: March 10, 2007 04:32AM
Posted by: prayerson
Hi everyone

Can anybody tell what is the .Dat limit in size(kb) for GP4.

Is there any other things I need to know in gp4 track editing .I'm am farmilar with gp3 track editing ,and by looking at gp4 track editor its very simular to gp3 editing. I know gp3 the dat limit is 139kb . looking at some of the dat files in gp4 they seem to be larger in kb size.

Any ideas much appreicated

cheers
Re: The INs and Outs of GP4 track Editing
Date: March 10, 2007 06:29AM
Posted by: b-tone
There is an about 1500 sector limit (incl pitlane), a bounding box that the dat must be inside and a 300,000 vertice limit for the gp4 file.

____
Tony

Date: March 10, 2007 09:25AM
Hi Tony
Thanks for your feedback

So are you saying that there is a 1500 sectors to a track! But what do you mean by " a bounding box that the dat must be inside" .

Do you know the maximuim size in(kb) that the .DAT file can go to its limit. Its very important to me so I know what the limitations of the size of the .dat when building a track!

Is that 300,000 kb = 300mg for the maximium size of a gp4 track folder including wads,.dat,ect.
Date: March 10, 2007 09:41AM
Tracks are mnade of sectors (4.877m I think) and the limit is 1500 sectors. So the maximum lentgh is about 7.5km
If you open a dat in GP4 Builder and zoom out a bit you can see a square box - the dat has to be inside that box.
And the 300,000 vertice limit is for the 3d part. The big difference between gp3 and gp4 is that gp4 tracks have a 3d part - ie, the stuff you can see - made of objects, which are made of faces, which have vertices, and there seems to be that 300,000 limit. But it shouldn't be a problem.
As for filesize I don't think there is one.

____
Tony

Date: March 10, 2007 10:43AM
Posted by: Diax F1
The file size of the default tracks are between 100 and 140kb.
Date: March 10, 2007 01:35PM
Thanks Guys for your help

I've notice in the orginal dat files of the gp4 folder in the circuits folder, that some dat files are 151kb in size and others are around 130kb with most of them alot less in kb. I've also noticed that with the gp4 track editor some tracks don't use any of the "object definitions" and "internal object definitions" like in gp3. So my question is Being used to gp3 editing and I know I have to change from this method of editing with gp4 how do insert objects in a gp4 track? . I am reading some of the gp4 editing forums ect. What list of utilies and editors do I need to start gp4 editing.
Date: March 10, 2007 02:35PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, objects definitions have been left with GP3 to be replaced by "real" 3D objects.
To insert objects, you need to open the .gp4 track file with GP4 Builder (click my sigpic below) and there you will be able to import any .3ds object you will have built before with any 3D Tool.

For GP4 Track Editing, you will need a wad extractor like easywad or wadupdater (to extract track files from .wads and reimport files in them later), a .tex editor to edit textures, like slimtex or texresizer and of course GP4 Builder which is the only tool to edit Gp4 Tracks so far :)

For more informations about GP4 tools and tracks, you can also browse stickies here and there in the Gp4 section of this forum or read some of the tutorials on my site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2007 02:37PM by Lo2k.
Date: March 10, 2007 04:55PM
Hi and thanks Lo2k for your feedback on editing .

What is your opinion on the maximium size a gp4 track DAT file can go in kb!

Thanks all you guys for your help much appreicated!

cheers
Date: March 10, 2007 05:33PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Nice to see (hopefully) a new trackmaker onboard with GP4. :)

prayerson, what for tracks are you planning to do for GP4, if i am right you did Phoenix for GP3, already finished?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: March 10, 2007 05:37PM
Posted by: 32BOBO32
prayerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi and thanks Lo2k for your feedback on editing .
>
>
> What is your opinion on the maximium size a
> gp4 track DAT file can go in kb!
>
> Thanks all you guys for your help much
> appreicated!
>
> cheers

i remember or 200 or 300 kb
Date: March 10, 2007 10:14PM
@Prayerson: Sincerely I don't know as I never had to worry about .dat size nor ever heard of any track maker worried about it so far. As said upper, you will hit the sector count limit before the filesize one (if any).
By the way, I think you tried to register on my site but I did a mistake removing spams and deleting your account too (my bad). Could you try to register again ?

Date: March 11, 2007 04:54AM
Thanks Lo2k for that I'll register again.

As with the track DAT files I guess I'm just thinking gp3 mode as you know with gp3 track editing Dat size is important when editing tracks.

I hope with gp4 editing that there are no limits when it comes to adding objects,ad boards,ect. If thats the case gp4 editing must be alot more fun to do.

TURBO LOVER: Yes I have been working on Phoenix track for gp3 .I'm about 80% done with editing the track and I'll post it on this site when ready.

I would like to do a GP4 verson of Phoenix 1991 .Its funny that the 1991 mod just came out yesterday and I hope this mod would get many of you gp4 track editors to create the tracks that are left out for that era.

any tips on making Phoenix track 1991 for gp4 would be a big help?

here is some screenshots of the Phoenix track that I've been working on for gp3:

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2007 07:40AM by prayerson.
Date: March 11, 2007 04:23PM
Can anybody please help me out

I've just started gp4 track editing and I'm on the part with make a base circuit . I'm using the editor tutorial " How to make a track in 60 minutes" . i'm using 3d editor 17.6 .I'm up to the part were you create multipe sectors . but I can't seem to find the option for this task! here is a screenshot to show you what I mean:

Date: March 11, 2007 04:33PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
You're in the wrong section, you're in the cc-line section. That defines the route of the computer controlled cars on the track.

Go to 'track sectors'.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: March 11, 2007 04:38PM
Posted by: airefresco
Looks like your in the CC-line part. Click UP, Select TRACK SECTORS, then (if you have not already done so) delete all but the first 2 track sectors. The you can start creating muliple sectors by click ADD > MULTIPLE SECTORS.

Also, download GP4 Builder, it's the update to GP4editor

paul..
Date: March 11, 2007 07:54PM
Posted by: Paco
also, try GP4 Builder 1.02 (that's how 3DEditor is called now ;-))

I'm against sigpics
Date: March 12, 2007 02:48PM
Thanks guys for your help . I am now using gp4 builder and I'm trying to move my track down inside the boundary square. I'm reading the tutorials but I have,nt come across this part if its there though. Can anyone help me out with this simple problem . Here is a screenshot

Date: March 12, 2007 02:50PM
Go to the top level and select Track (also Pitlane, Cameras and CC Line are available) choose Displace (F6) and move it

____
Tony

Date: March 12, 2007 02:52PM
You need to go up one level, then highlight "Track Tectors", engage the "Displace" button and click and drag your track in the preview. "Dis-engage" "Displace" button when done.

Date: March 12, 2007 05:46PM
Thanks so much Guys for your support and replying so quickly to helpout!

I've finished laying out my track ,but I'm trying to connect the two parts together. The final end of the track ,is alittle higher than the start . Here is a screenshot of the link.

Any ideas much appriedated

cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2007 05:48PM by prayerson.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy