Game controller sensitivity in GP4 in file

Posted by littbarski 
Game controller sensitivity in GP4 in file
Date: February 22, 2024 06:10PM
Posted by: littbarski
Hello everybody,

after playing GP4 with really much fun with a wheel on a modern PC, I still wonder if one day I can also play it with a game controller :). I know GP4 was not really made for it probably, but after trying EA F1 22 and F1 23 I really would like to go back and only play GP4. Especially for kids it is also fun with a controller. Well, I could set it up correctly and everything works, but the sensitivity is just not fine. I read that this is a problem for many, but my hope is that today perhaps we know a bit more about it.

I have a Speedlink Rait Wireless controller, which is detected as an Xbox controller by many games. As said, GP4 detects it ok.

I know about the options about the steering in GP4 also for "Joypad", and have set the option for less sensitivity to 100% and also tried the other options there. It is "ok" to drive with the controller after all, but the steering wheel in the game just "jumps" from left to right. When I drive faster it's better (100% setting for this also).

So my question about this is: when there are those options in GP4 which work fine, can we perhaps increase those values just even more in any file of GP4?
The sensitivity option actually changes the controller feeling as well as the setting for faster driving, so those two setting must have values somewhere?

If not, is there another hint just to make the controller feel "more heavy" or smooth in GP4?

This really would be great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2024 06:13PM by littbarski.
Re: Game controller sensitivity in GP4 in file
Date: February 22, 2024 10:29PM
I have spent some hours in finding a way to make the controller more smooth, including the tool x360ce, but without any success.
If there is another tool which could work better that would be nice.
Even better of course it would be if there is just a value that I can change in any GP4 file or any other hint how the initial movement or the controller is not such a quick steering effect. As said, normally x360ce should work, but I have program errors and I am not an expert in those tools.
Date: February 23, 2024 10:52AM
I only would like to add that I did not find a way x360ce to work with my GP4.
Already before I had read the interesting thread:
[www.grandprixgames.org]

But the problem remains the same, that GP4 "accepts" the entries from the controller too fast.

Do I see it correctly that with a controller with analog stick there just can't be the feeling of steering as with modern EA F1 games? I understand this as the GP4 team probably made the game for steering wheels, as I also have one and I really love the steering with it. But as mentioned I thought that perhaps today there could be additional tools or hints just to "buffer" the input from a controller so that GP4 does not do the steering so quickly?
Date: February 27, 2024 12:21PM
Has anybody managed to use a tool like AntimicroX for setting another sensitivity?
I tried but I only can change the controller buttons while the stick changes have no effect at all in Windows on the Controller (I have a Speedlink Rait Wireless). I also tried x360ce but no change either, and I am not expert enough to hide the one controller as suggested by this tool. So normally I would prefer Antimicro. I also tried to add GP4 as a "Steam game" but no effect of those controller settings either.

Is there (beside of Pinnacle which is difficult to download from good sources today) a tool that you prefer and that has a real effect on GP4 controller sensitivity (dead zone, zone of less sensitivity) ? Perhaps another tool than the four tools mentioned above?

Or is all this not working and GP4 stays a bit too sensitive with controllers even with the use of such a tool?
Date: February 27, 2024 08:57PM
Ok, finally I found out how to make changes by using Steam. You can add GP4 (gpxpatch) as a non-Steam game like with other games.
So then I could use left stick options like dead zone, anti dead zone, and a kind of sensitivity. I think I have made some good improvements. Important was to open Steam as administrator, I think it won't work otherwise.

Only: it is still not good to play with controller for me, so I won't use a controller in GP4 although I used Steam options and the control sensitivity options in GP4 directly. The steering is still to sensitive and not to compare with my 25 years old Logitech steering wheel which works nice.

After all I managed to use a controller setting tool, but of course if anybody reads this and has managed in another way to really play GP4 with a controller and the steering (like the hands of the driver holding the steering wheel) looks exactly like when using a wheel, I would be very glad to know it, how this could be achieved, either by some special Steam option, another tool or hopefully some hidden option in GP4 files. Let me know perhaps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2024 08:59PM by littbarski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy