Is this a good card for GP4

Posted by aquarius_varun 
Is this a good card for GP4
Date: July 08, 2003 04:57PM
Posted by: aquarius_varun
It has been nearly a month since I have playing GP4.But I still have it updated to the latest cars.
I am planning of getting a Geforce 4 Ti series card.Is this card working goood with this game

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Inspiron 9300, Intel Pentium M 1.86 ghz, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista Ultimate, 256 MB Geforce 6800 Go, 1920x1200 screen res ;) (ooH YEAHH!!!) Saitek X-45
Re: Is this a good card for GP4
Date: July 08, 2003 05:02PM
Posted by: JackieStewart
Yup - it's a good card generally. But it depends on what you've got now.

....................I quite like this now.
Date: July 08, 2003 05:22PM
Right now to say i really don't have a video card at all.My motherboard has an inbuilt S3 Savage Pro DDR.Gp4 starts up well and at the track loading screen crashes back to the desktop after the track load completes.I hope it is just a problem with the S3 because I don't wan that prob with Geforce 4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Inspiron 9300, Intel Pentium M 1.86 ghz, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista Ultimate, 256 MB Geforce 6800 Go, 1920x1200 screen res ;) (ooH YEAHH!!!) Saitek X-45
Date: July 08, 2003 05:36PM
Posted by: Ellis
yeah, will be the S3 problem, this will improve you games performance 10 fold, if not more

One of the best cards made that one at the moment

I persoanlly am getting a budget GeForce Fx card within a week or so :D

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 08, 2003 06:02PM
The reason I opted for the older geforce 4 than fx 5900 is that that new card generates lot of heat and also is very expensive.

Thanks for the feedback dudes.I will be back again with my new improved GP4 visuals

Date: July 08, 2003 06:22PM
you want heat? Try my GF4 MX, the GF FX produces less heat than the GF4 MX :|

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 08, 2003 09:01PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak
you want heat? Try my GF4 MX, the GF FX produces less heat than the GF4 MX :|

dpont think mine gets that hot

Date: July 09, 2003 12:16AM
Posted by: marcl
The only prob with the gefore4 TI is u will get a slow down every min or so with XP. If u can put up with it u will be ok but it can make u crash as i have found out :(
Date: July 09, 2003 12:35AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I've had no heat issues with my GF4 MX 440, it just quietly (unlike the fx!!!) gets on with it. Was getting 47fps with gp4 on windows 98, but then got xp and dropped to 27ish :( But yep, gf4 Ti's are great cards.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 09, 2003 12:36AM
Posted by: bojan_tarticchio
I have ti4200, great card, not so fast anymore, but never had any problem with compatibility, and every game works fine. My gp4 runs at 30 frames, all details except video walls and heat haze, static lights @ 1024x768, and many updates, new cars etc.
Athlon 2000+, btw.

---------------------
Bojan Tarticchio
Date: July 09, 2003 12:43AM
Posted by: villej
ATI radeon 9500 pro is faster and cheaper than GF4 Ti4200.
It also supports DirectX 9.0. GF4Ti4200 supports only DirectX 8.1.

Post Edited (07-09-03 07:45)

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: July 09, 2003 01:08AM
Posted by: bojan_tarticchio
True, 9500pro is now probably better choice.

---------------------
Bojan Tarticchio
Date: July 09, 2003 01:19AM
Posted by: marcl
There are problems though with the ATI cards, there was an artical saying they will not work with some games, dont know if this is ture.

The lastest drivers for the GF4Ti4200 supports dx9.1, thats what i am using.
Date: July 09, 2003 01:28AM
"The lastest drivers for the GF4Ti4200 supports dx9.1, thats what i am using."

True, but if your hardware doesn't support DX9 you can play DX9 games with newest drivers but you don't see DX9 effects.

I have an old GF2 Pro and DX9 drivers but hardware supports only DX7 so I can't see DX8.1 and DX9 effects.

"There are problems though with the ATI cards, there was an artical saying they will not work with some games, dont know if this is ture."
If you download newest drivers there aren't any problems.

Post Edited (07-09-03 08:28)

Date: July 09, 2003 02:08AM
Posted by: rickm550
i have a Leaktek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 and it rocks. I just upgraded my system to a AMD Barton 3000+ with 512mb Dual Channel DDR RAM 400Mhz and a Gigabyte 7NNXP nForce 2 chipset and get 45 ~ 50 fps, using DX9.1 and WinXP. Also i have full audio effects in the game, video walls, all high res textures etc. My PO in a race is 50 ~ 80 %

Post Edited (07-09-03 09:10)
Date: July 09, 2003 02:49AM

Post Edited (07-09-03 12:16)

Date: July 09, 2003 03:35AM
Posted by: ayazyounis
i have radeon 9200se 256mb gfx it kikcks ass
Date: July 09, 2003 06:52AM
I've had no heat issues with my GF4 MX 440, it just quietly (unlike the fx!!!) gets on with it.

thats because the FX has a fan where as the GF4MX has a heatsink only :P

FX needs the fan, its so much better than the 4MX

Date: July 09, 2003 09:30AM
Posted by: Stan
just get a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
and u should be ok :D

Date: July 09, 2003 07:51PM
Posted by: Morbid
I have the Ati 9700 pro. It's really a good card. I had a few problems and a nice share of frustration to begin with, but most of it is sort out now.

I have been hanging out on the main Ati forum <www.rage3d.com>, to get that done, and have picked up some info on the way. There are problems with some games and Ati cards, but it isn't really all that bad. Some games get hotfixed drivers, but the that's very few. Neverwinter nights was the last one to get a hotfix, but very few games need them.

Mostly, the intial problems can be fixed, if you install the drivers correctly, don't use the APIC (to get 200+ IRQ's) on Nforce2 boards (quite nice that an Nvidia chipset has compatablity issues with THE leading competitors top cards, isn't it?), run DX9.0 (or higher), have a proper power supply, and if your MB is a bit greedy with the apc controller voltage, then increase it a notch. In cost/performance analysis, Ati it blow Nvidia cards away. However, you got to be real careful when you install the drivers. It is a process that can go wrong all to easily.

Regarding the Nvidia FX cards, I wouldn't buy them. First of all, Nvidia has been exposed of building cheats into their drivers so they report higher values in benchmarking programs, than the cards can really generate. I would think that it is proof enough that the dude that exposed them was confronted by Nvidia lawyers that told him to clean out the info on his page or face legal charges, and he said screw you (well not quite, he did remove something, but most of it is still there) and they didn't do a thing after that. But if isn't proof enough, then just rename the benchmark executables and see for yourself.

Furthermore, by ready for a lot of noise from an FX card, or to invest in a more silent fan for your new card. Some of them produce more than 50Db of noise! Lastly, some of the FX cards can't sustain prolonged use of GL screensavers. I can't remember the company that did the test (if anyone asks I will try and find the link again), but they tested 5 cards or so for 24 hours and 3 of them fizzed off. The cards switched the GPU fan off, because they thought the system was in standby/hibernate!!

Alas, it looks like you can't get GFX cards without drawbacks these days. I recon it is a consequence of the heated GFX card war between Nvidia and Ati (like Voodoo and Nvidia was had it), but you can do the research and buy the card that gives the best value for your money. As a fanatic fan of my previous Nvidia cards (Guillemot maxigamer TNT2 Ultra and Asus Geforce 2 Ultra, totalling over 3 years of enjoyment), I now vote Ati.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy