Online GP4 World Championship

Posted by Xeltron245 
Online GP4 World Championship
Date: September 19, 2006 06:12PM
Posted by: Xeltron245
ENTRIES ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED

I thought I'd do an online GP4 league. For the first season it will be one of those hotlap things. Carshapes and colours will be included. Will be races on Monday 7:00pm, Wednesday 7:00pm and Saturday 7:00pm. You must now create your own car to submit or with permission use a texture already created.
You may also be a team owner and not drive if you wish or you can do both. Noone may own more than 1 team
Please do not hesitate to suggest changes or to ask questions.
Tracks listed as confirmed are definite.

Here is current line-up and calendar:
Lamborghini F1 (Team Owner - Xeltron245)
Engines: Lamborghini
Tyres: Michelin
Texture: Yellow And Blue
1 - Xeltron245 (GBR)
2 - TBA

Allart F1 (Team Owner - Sapo)
3 - Sapo (NED)
4 - TBA

Williams (Team Owner - WillB)
Engines: BMW
Tyres: Michelin
Texture: Williams FW28?
5 - WillB (UK)
6 - TBA

Vit Dien Racing (Team Owner - ralv585)
7 - ralv585 (PHP)
8 - TBA

This is calendar for Season 1 (as we will be using a specially made mod)
These tracks will have (confirmed next to them now when they are definite):
Round 1: Cagliari, Italy (confirmed) created by 32BOBO32
Round 2: Shanghai, China (confirmed) created by shutt1e and ruboy
Round 3: Fuji Speedway, Japan
Round 4: Sepang, Malaysia (confirmed)
Round 5: Oran Park, Australia
Round 6: A1-Ring, Austria (confirmed)
Round 7: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium (confirmed)
Round 8: Brno, Czech Republic
Round 9: Le Mans, France
Round 10: Nurburgring Nordschleife or Nurburgring F1 Circuit, Germany
Round 11: Hungaroring, Hungary (confirmed)
Round 12: Mondello Park, Ireland
Round 13: Monza, Italy (confirmed)
Round 14: Monte Carlo, Monaco (confirmed)
Round 15: Zandvoort, Holland
Round 16: Vasco Sameiro, Portugal
Round 17: Nagatino Island, Russia
Round 18: Valencia, Spain
Round 19: Gotland Ring, Sweden
Round 20: Chaika, Ukraine
Round 21: Donington Park, United Kingdom
Round 22: Sakhir, Bahrain (confirmed)
Round 23: Doha, Qatar
Round 24: Istanbul Park, Turkey (confirmed)
Round 25: Dubai, UAE
Round 26: Montreal, Canada
Round 27: Mexico City, Mexico
Round 28: Indianapolis, USA East (confirmed)
Round 29: Laguna Seca, USA West
Round 30: San Luis, Argentina
Round 31: Interlagos, Brazil
Round 32: Jacarepagua, Atlantic
Round 33: Suzuka, Pacific
Round 34: Imola, San Marino

These tracks have not been chosen by fame but by the structure. At the end of the year drivers will vote for tracks they would like to see off the calendar.

Edited 30 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 05:17PM by Xeltron245.
Re: A New Online GP4 League
Date: September 19, 2006 06:19PM
Posted by: Willb
Would you care to share the soruce code which enables smooth online play please :) ?

Ta,

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 06:21PM by Willb.
Date: September 19, 2006 06:29PM
Posted by: danm
hey mate!

im afraid to say the biggest bummer about gp4 is its lack of stable online play.

in other words, online games other than on LAN are very poo/crash to the desktop/just dont work.

if you want a good game for online play, personally id suggest rFactor :)

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 19, 2006 06:33PM
Posted by: BenF1
I'd be interested to join if the online play is reliable.

[www.myspace.com]
Date: September 19, 2006 07:18PM
Posted by: brunoboi
Where do you plan to get the tracks from? Have they all been released

Date: September 19, 2006 10:03PM
Posted by: Sapo
I think not, never heard of Fuli or laguna seca to be released...? I might be wrong ofcourse...
Date: September 19, 2006 10:11PM
No your right sapo this is gonna be me working on this. I have succesfully made tracks for Grand Prix 2 so im moving on to Grand Prix 4. I never released the Grand Prix 2 tracks as they were just a test before trying to make tracks on Grand Prix 4. Don't wanna muck Grand Prix 4 up do I? And in answer to Ben F1 I am pretty sure it will be stable online gameplay as I am going to use a lot of programs to enhance speed and to improve gameplay. Of course if any of you wish to help with the tracks feel free to ask. The quicker I get this set up the better cause then I don't keep people waiting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 10:18PM by Xeltron245.
Date: September 19, 2006 11:19PM
Posted by: Sapo
Looking forward to the tracks then, love to see both Fuji and Laguna Seca for Gp4! :)
Date: September 20, 2006 10:28AM
Hey Xeltron245 ,

You have some great ideas , don't get me wrong , but i think you still don't quite realise how much you are biting off here . For example the average track takes many months to complete , especially ifs being started from scratch. As far as i know track editing in gp4 is nothing atall like track editing in gp2. It can take track makers at least a month to learn how to use 3d editor properly, probably even longer .

As for "Ben F1 I am pretty sure it will be stable online gameplay as I am going to use a lot of programs to enhance speed and to improve gameplay" , what sort of programs are you talking about . Im afraid no amount of use of " Win Optimiser Professional " or " PC Cleaner " or " Add similar product name here " will help online play. Nor will GpxPatch . The thing that really will help though is a 1000 Megabit internet connection for all clients , which is obviously, at the current time impossibe ( unless you happen to love in Korea maybe ;-) ) .

The fact is that Grand Prix 4 was just not written from the ground up to be playable over the internet. Its a struggle to get it working on a lan unless you have two modern computers .

Seriosuly though , if madman couldn't do it with all the work he put into our communtiy i doubt any " Optimisation " programs will provide even 20 seconds of playable gameplay online .

I'm not trying to stop you having fun or trying , track editing is very exciting, demanding and very rewarding when it all goes right and you have people oogling at your creations :) . I'm simply trying to offer a bit of insight as to what the reality of this online leage is .

Thanks and sorry to be a moan :o

Date: September 20, 2006 05:05PM
Posted by: Ruboy
But you are absolutely right, Will :)

Date: September 20, 2006 06:32PM
Yep this i know but lets think for a minute. If any of you offer to help that will cut down the time and also it is going to take time to get all the entries in anyway plus the teams design their own cars so it would take that long anyway. Therefore I can take applicants now and hopefully we can begin at the in about a month's time. I realise that online speed is a problem but a lot of my time is going to be spent solving this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 06:55PM by Xeltron245.
Date: September 20, 2006 06:50PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
I wouldn't bother with Laguna seca if I were you, for now, I'd worry about one track, and by the time you've got a foundation for that, and maybe even finished it, there will be one around ;-)

Anyway, there are a number of tutorials for track editing, but as will says, GP2 track editing is the polar opposite of GP4. GP2 uses a set of .jams for textures, and little or no 3D knowledge is required.

For GP4, you have some 500 textures to handle for each track, plus the creation of all 3D objects and modifying existing objects, and updating textures as neccessary.

I'm sure tony will tell you that creating a track is no mean feat. The guy is working on a number of tracks with one hand and pumping out mods and information about them with the other ;)
Date: September 20, 2006 08:55PM
I have got the 3D Editor and have started work on the circuits.
Date: September 20, 2006 09:24PM
Posted by: GeoffCrammond
Willb Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fact is that Grand Prix 4 was just not written from the ground up to be playable over the internet. Its a struggle to get it working on a lan unless you have two modern computers .

Come to my office please.
Date: September 20, 2006 10:42PM
Who's the guy who names himself after Geoff Crammond unless of course your actually him in which case how'd you find the time to look at these. :-)
Date: September 20, 2006 11:35PM
Right ok all tracks confirmed if you wish to enter now all is go. As we are running our own teams please send your own car textures or use ones made by other people like 1991 car textures or whatever. Please announce what sort of car texture you are going to use though so others don't use the same.
Date: September 21, 2006 05:59AM
Posted by: b-tone
What happened to all the new tracks? :(
Well, I hope we'll still get internet playability.
What about car shapes?

____
Tony

Date: September 21, 2006 04:44PM
The new tracks will start appearing for Season 2 but for now its ones I can already get. You can submit your own car textures for your cars but carshape must remain standard. You may also use car textures already created by others. Make sure you tell people what car texture you are using so noone uses the same.
Date: September 21, 2006 04:59PM
Posted by: b-tone
Which car shape?
And what about the net play?
Date: September 21, 2006 06:05PM
"Willb Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come to my office please."

Only if there's a chance there will be a GP5,

Thought not ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 06:05PM by Willb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy