GPxPatch multithreading

Posted by turkey_machine 
GPxPatch multithreading
Date: September 18, 2006 05:17PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Posted this in the GP3 forum, but didn't get much response (i.e none).

What I'm after is info on whether GPxPatch can run in a different thread to GP4. I'm planning a dual-core upgrade to Core 2 Duo, and being able to run GPxPatch and GP4 in separate threads *should* speed things up.

The way I was thinking was by running GPxPatch in thread 0, and within GPxPatch itself, run GP4 in thread 1. Would that work, or is there another way that I haven't been enlightened to?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Re: GPxPatch multithreading
Date: September 18, 2006 06:42PM
Posted by: pankykapus
with Hyper-Threading Intel cpu-s GP4 crashes if you set CPU to 1 or ALL. I don't think GP4 can handle two cores so you should set CPU to 0. :)
Date: September 20, 2006 12:21PM
With all due respect panky, Hyperthreading's a pile of dog mess, and should never ever ever be used. Did I mention ever? ;)

I know for a fact GP4 doesn't support dual-core, as the technology wasn't around when GP4 was developed. But, to a certain extent, it was when GPxPatch was developed.

Calling all dual-core users, if you have GP4 and GPxPatch, can you do a test and see whether GPxPatch can be run in a separate thread to GP4? I'd suggest setting GPxPatch to thread 1, and GP4 to thread 0, or vice-versa, and see what works/doesn't.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: September 20, 2006 04:37PM
Posted by: Willb
How you you tell grand prix 4 to run in thread 0 though ?

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: September 22, 2006 05:30PM
I think there's something in XP to make the program run in thread 0 or 1, but can't remember where. Think it's something in msconfig or program compatibility, but would have to do some more digging, which I can't do cause multithreading I ain't got!

Date: September 22, 2006 05:38PM
Posted by: Willb
hum, i dont know as i can dig either but i wouldnt think you can set it manually . I mite be wrong though :) .

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: September 22, 2006 06:13PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Mabe like this?

Date: September 22, 2006 07:52PM
That's one way, but the way I was thinking to run GP4 multithreaded with GPxPatch, is to run GPxPatch in thread 1 (via Windows somehow) and GP4 in thread 0 that way. Thoughts?

Date: September 22, 2006 08:06PM
Posted by: ChrisJ
You can set the thread to be used for the application via task-manager. Don't know what the option is named in english though. Just open it, right-click on the appropriate application and choose that bottom option. Then there should be that window where you're able to select the cores/threads to be used.

However, I jus tried it myself but found out that the application "GPxPatch.exe" turns into "GP4.exe" as soon as you start the game and thus also uses the values you set for GPxPatch before. So there aren't even two apps running to use the 2 cores for as far as I saw. ;)

regards
chris
Date: September 22, 2006 11:53PM
I think it's "Set Affinity" in Task Manager, as I have a mate who's got a Hyperthreaded PC and he confirmed it for me.

If that's true, that's the multi-threaded GP4 plan out of the window. Gutted, as I thought this would really work.

But does anybody know if the source for GPxPatch is available for people to carry on the project? I'm going to uni soon to study computer programming, and this could be one of my projects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy