Change a track's wad file

Posted by ricky 
Change a track's wad file
Date: March 04, 2006 03:22PM
Posted by: ricky
Hi GP4 community ;-)

After one year without GP4 I reinstalled the old good game and was searching for track updates (after Lo2k is doing great work!). I'm found an beta version of the Bahrain track but can't use it without loosing the Interlagos race.

Problem is, that Bahrain track uses its wad file called interlagos2001.wad.
It easy to change the prefix of the track data with cmagic! But then you can't only rename the interlagos2001.wad to e.g. bahrain.wad! So I extracted the wad-file by easywad. But now, my problem: which files to rename? All that starts with interlagos2001_? Or the files too, that includes xxx_interlagos2001_xxx.xxx (e.g. for spa2001: hi_spa2001.tex, reverb_spa2001.bin, etc.)?

Unfortunately I didn't find an option in easywad called "rename wad file" that automatically converts it for me (well I hope ZaZ is reading this topic and updates his great easywad :-P). But I hope you could help me...

Many thanks

gpxricky (Markus)
Re: Change a track's wad file
Date: March 04, 2006 03:44PM
Posted by: Lo2k
hi Ricky,

glad to see you're back :)
Well, for now, we can't add more tracks than the original count without dealing with hexadecimal in the exe, so nobody really studied any track renaming.

But Zaz have maybe some answers to this case as he always has surprising ideas under his hat :)

Date: March 04, 2006 05:06PM
Posted by: Mr Pibb
You must rename all the interlagos2001 files within the wad, including any interlagos2001 files in sub folders. You have to rename the interlagos2001 subfolder itself too. But do NOT rename any tex files!

So just rename the .cpf, .col, .env, .gp4, .hze, .vcl, and .crd files plus the 4 .bin files. That's 11 files (plus one subfolder) to rename.

Then, like you say, alter the prefix with cmagic.

Once that's done, there's one last thing to do or it won't work. You need to add a bahrain.anm to your anim.wad file. Just copy the interlagos2001.anm in your anim wad and rename it as bahrain.anm (or whatever your prefix in cmagic is). Keep the interlagos2001.anm, as it's needed for interlagos!

There's other threads around with this info in it too. You can also add the 'country' the number of 'laps' and the tracks 'name' to cmagic also. This makes the tracks slot completely independant. You can put it anywhere you like in GPxPatch.

Using this method you can have tracks for any year you like named (for example) interlagos2001, interlagos2005 etc etc and run them all in the game side by side, and in any slot you wish.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mr Pibb.

Date: March 04, 2006 09:13PM
Posted by: gap177
Could someone post some informative screenies for this subject?Might be helpful.

Glenn(Cdn)
Date: March 04, 2006 09:21PM
Posted by: 00omalleys
yeah screenies would be very helpful please :)
Date: March 05, 2006 05:32PM
Posted by: ricky
Thanks Mr Pibb,
that's what I was searching for. I'll try it next week and hopefully don't forget to post some screenies ;-).

Many thanks for anyone trying to help me ;-)

ricky
Date: March 05, 2006 06:11PM
Posted by: b-tone
the next CSM (1.26) will do all mr pibb says and more automatically. so you don't have to do anything, and can even have many tracks using the same file names, and even have a mixture of file names in the wad - this.cpf, that.col, theother.env etc and it will work.
If you can't wait then get build 55 of CSM 1.25. Its in the GP2 Mod, but its unofficial and some people have problems with it.
Hopefully the real 1.26 isn't too far away.

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy