Frustrated

Posted by mickg 
Frustrated
Date: August 08, 2004 11:52AM
Posted by: mickg
Just wanted to know if anyone has been able to solve the old problem of "scratchy/breaking up/breaking down/not clean, in short, frustrating engine sounds, particularly at close to max revs/speed. I have had two SB Live! cards and now SB Audigy LS sound card do exactly the same thing. I would have thought the Audigy would have been better....I know I can alleviate it somewhat by not selecting EAX in GP4 sound setup but this is a workaround not a fix. From memory, I don't recall this problem when I first installed GP4 way back when and then I had a SB Live!, just your average sound card of the day. It's funny that I can hold the car at max revs in neautral and there is no hint of distortion, but as soon as you get some speed up then the sound starts "missing". I've searched the internet somewhat with no solution, just the usual "make sure you have the latest drivers etc,etc,etc". Well I have those and have even istalled a second copy of GP4 on another drive in the hope of starting out with a "clean" sound and adding mods etc until the sound started being affected, but, to my surprise the original engine sound seems to be breaking down as well! Go figure.
Any ideas/suggestions/fixes most welcome.
Forgot to add this problem occurs only with T-cam view(which I use alot). In car seems ok.

mickg

P4 3.2ghz/800mhzFSB; XFX 7800GS; 2Gig PC3200(400mhz) DDR; Seagate SATA 10krpm HD x2 ;SB AudigyLS .

AYRTON SENNA: F1's Undying Legend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2004 12:15PM by mickg.
Re: Frustrated
Date: August 08, 2004 12:42PM
Posted by: Lo2k
I have an Audigy PLayer and never got any distortion, only a very low volume in T-cam when my drivers are not setup correctly.
Could I ask if you already tried to reinstall the game from ground ?

Date: August 08, 2004 01:23PM
Hi lo2k,
yea, quite a few times since its release for one thing or another...i get the lower volume in T-cam but as I said before as speed rises then crackling etc is audible around 15000rpm onwards. i'm going with EAX off in GP4 sound setup at the moment...One thing I have noticed is the echo/hall effect in T-cam...do you get this? What version of Audigy do you have? I don't think i can adjust EAX settings... can't find a EAX button anywhere. Explain "when my drivers are not setup correctly"...

mickg

P4 3.2ghz/800mhzFSB; XFX 7800GS; 2Gig PC3200(400mhz) DDR; Seagate SATA 10krpm HD x2 ;SB AudigyLS .

Date: August 10, 2004 12:46AM
I just can't believe that in all grandprixgames.org kingdom I'm the only one with a SB Audugy LS that is getting crackling, missing, sound at high revs with EAX on...Lo2k, I'll ask again what do you mean when your drivers are not setup correctly you get low volume in T-cam view? I have exactly that scenario, even worse when following from behind..almost no sound...get back in the cockpit and %100 good sound.

Date: August 10, 2004 01:24AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Well, I don't know exactly what happen but from times to time, sound disappear in T-cam. Once it has disappear, the only way I found yet to fix it is to reinstall latest creative driver and to check the speaker set is right in sound settings (I have 4+1 ones). Then sound comes back up to next time.
Not that reliable : /

Date: August 10, 2004 01:37AM
Lo2k, thanks for the reply. This has been a problem for a couple of years now and I know others had it at that time. Maybe they fixed it somehow or they don't play GP4 anymore, either way there is litle to no evidence on the internet to go on with..just have to not use EAX...

Date: August 10, 2004 10:27AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I know this is a very common problem with GPL and Soundblaster cards, but I didn't think GP4 was also there :|

Normally the sound in T-Cam only disappears is when it decides to try and play through the centre speaker... when there isn't one there...

As for the crackling, have you tried lowering Hardware Acceleration on the sound card? I know that helps the problems in GPL...

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: August 10, 2004 11:04AM
Posted by: Willb
"Some Top Gear Berk Its a Fiat! and its French!"

Do you know what the "I" in FIAT Stand for... I T A L I A N" - Jeremy Clarkson
Date: August 10, 2004 12:54PM
Posted by: jp2
mickg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just can't believe that in all
> grandprixgames.org kingdom I'm the only one with a
> SB Audugy LS that is getting crackling, missing,
> sound at high revs with EAX on...

you might very well be the only one with EAX on :-)

greetings, jp
Date: August 10, 2004 03:00PM
Hi Ian,
Yea, have tried the trick with hardware acceleration....all this does is not let me select EAX in the sound setup panel..best to leave acceleration up max and uncheck EAX. I have GPL and for what its worth I think this is a better sim than GP4 especially Jim pearsons Isle of Man...what a masterpiece of track building, but i digress, and have no problem with the sound, the cars sound fantastic. It's very strange that I can rev the car in neutral and no missing but it usually starts in 4th or 5th gear at 14000rpm on. At the end of the day i can still play and enjoy it but would love to have EAX work as it should.

mick

Date: August 10, 2004 06:30PM
Do you have the correct speaker set selected too? or even this is probably totally wrong, but is digital output selected? its a bit strange that T-Cam is messed up but cockpit is ok, as they use the same engine sounds, but they do use different engine.txt's, you could also try to copy the engine.txt from Preset1_Cockpit to Preset2_OnCar....

Date: August 11, 2004 09:36AM
Ian, I use headphones but makes no diff. to sound if i use speakers(2). Digital output results in no sound at all..anywhere. I really thought you were onto something with the engine texts but unfortunately, made no difference. I even tried every engine .txt as Preset2_OnCar just for @#$%& and grins but still have the shitty sound as before. Cockpit volume is still much higher than T-cam. Sometimes I get no volume in cockpit but still have volume in T-cam!! Is the sound directional? I ask this as when the car is viewed from the rear and I'm doing donuts, when the car is side on there is also a kind of distortion ie not the clean sound you would expect. I'm thinking of taking my PC to my PC shop and have them insert diff. sound cards to see if there is one that will work. All other games sounds work fine. As the subject says: Frustrating!

Mick

PS.I thought it might just have something to do with GPxPatch and started it with GP4.exe in directory...but noooo....still the same. EAX is GONE.

One other thing....no EAX effect when in cockpit only T-Cam.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2004 10:35AM by mickg.
Date: August 11, 2004 12:23PM
Hmmmmmm, have you tried the sound card in a different PC if possible? also have you tried just playing some music through something like Winamp or WMP and changing the EAX manually through the EAX Control Panel? If I remember Creative correctly its somewhere in AudioHQ :P

Or another thing, does your motherboard have a onboard sound card? if so have you tried that out instead of your Audigy? see if the problems still occur?

Date: January 26, 2006 06:47PM
Posted by: gohan
I've got exactly the same problem with my new computer. But i haven't got a Sounblaster, the audio is integrated in the motherboard (Asus P5GDC Deluxe), and is C-Media High Quality Audio Device

Sometimes audio works if i press "Esc" during a race and i recalibrate sound. Where can be the problem?? Still no solution to this??
Date: January 26, 2006 10:05PM
Posted by: paulhackettevans
I have a Soundblaster Audigy Player, I have no problems at all with the sound on GP4. I simply installed the Audigy with all standard settings and everything was fine from the start.

I don't know how you can be having a problem with it.
Date: January 26, 2006 10:52PM
Posted by: patrickc
Have you tried disabling 3d audio and enabling 2d in gp4?
Date: January 26, 2006 11:11PM
I try to enable and disable everything, i tried new drivers, i think i've tried everything, i've reinstalled the game, i've tried new engine sounds...

But nothing solved this, the game is fully playable, but it's a bit annoying sometimes...
Date: January 27, 2006 02:14AM
Posted by: M.Guenette
Try going into your creative labs sound mixer. Once there on the bottom right side you have fad,treble,bass and volume.Set volume at 87% and no higher.Then to the left of that you'll see 6 more slider bars you can adjust, set them all at 87% as well then close then panel and try the game again.This worked for me.Let me know.
Date: January 27, 2006 02:44AM
Posted by: Jet
Just a wild guess, but if you are getting crackling sounds, it might
be your speakers. I had this problem with my old speakers. I bought
new ones and the sounds are gone.
Date: January 27, 2006 06:22PM
I've solved the problem!!!!!

It was in the loudspeakers (like Jet said) , when the surround button is pushed the problems become. Solution, don't enable surround, XD!!

But it's rare, because i used the same loudspeakers in my old computer and i hadn't got any problem for years

Excuse my english!!

Thank you everybody!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy