Question about Lower lods

Posted by SchueyFan 
Question about Lower lods
Date: November 28, 2005 03:28PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
if i use in teameditor the option to only use lod 0 for carshapes, do i need to keep those lower lods in my wad files?

X (@ed24f1)
Re: Question about Lower lods
Date: November 28, 2005 03:35PM
Posted by: Paco
no

I'm against sigpics
Date: November 28, 2005 05:20PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Here is what I replied some days ago to the question:
Is using lod0-only cars PO consuming ?

In PO terms, removing low lods (1-4) will always make PO higher.
You will gain some space on your hard drive but that's all.

Using only LOD0 shapes force game to display all cars, close and far ones with the same high poly shape.
So just imagine a scene, we have 20 car on a starting grid, in one case we use 2 lods (a high one of 1Mb (carshape+textures) and a low one of 100k) and in another case we will use only lod0 one (1Mb).

Let's suppose the distance were car shapes should be swapped to low res one is at the middle of the grid.

let's roll.
with lods: 10 cars use high res lod (1Mb) and 10 cars use low res lod (100k)
result data size: 10*1Mb+10*0.1Mb = 11Mb

without lods: 20 cars use high res lod (1Mb)
result data size: 20*1Mb = 20Mb

About twice the amount of data is used in our example between all lods0 and 2 lods systems.
And framerate is directly dependant to the amount of data it has to handle, textures and polys.
My example was quite simple but look at the size of latest cars lod0+textures, some could surely reach 5-10Mb...
so a full grid of such cars would use 100-200Mb and it doesn't handle yet tyres, tracks, AI and sounds...

You can understand in that case that using lod0 cars only could make you save some space on your disk but also cut down you gaming experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2005 05:21PM by Lo2k.
Date: November 28, 2005 05:29PM
Posted by: b-tone
dont forget tyres , helmets too. and using ld_0 means you have redundant z_cocpit objects at far distances - very bad for dtm etc if the z_cockpit object is large

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy