Split Axis In GP4?

Posted by Jagdpanzer 
Split Axis In GP4?
Date: November 11, 2005 08:03AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
I've asked this before, but never could get it to work so I'll ask again: how can I set up a split axis for brake and throttle in GP4?

Let me explain. I am trying to configure a Thrustmaster F1 force feedback wheel. No matter what I have tried, I cannot get GP4 to recognize any axis other than X and Y in the config screen. This gives me steering and gas but no brake. I had to resort to mapping the brake to a button on the wheel using Thrustmapper software.

But now I have worn that button out, and it literally has broken, so instead of switching it to another button and wearing that one out too I would like to tackle the axis issue again. I do have Thrustmapper set up to recognize a split axis, but even though I do GP4 won't recognize this.

I welcome all advice and if anybody can explain this issue and how to correct it I will be very grateful!

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Re: Split Axis In GP4?
Date: November 11, 2005 10:44AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hi,

I also have a thrustmaster force feedback wheel and already explained several times on this forum that it will work under given circumstances. So I'm pretty sure you can find one of my past post doing a little search over last month posts.
Basically, Split axis needs to use patched version of the game (patch 9.6) and not the very latest driver of the wheel (afaik).
I havn't played GP4 with wheel since a long time but I sure you will find my old comments during your search.

Date: November 12, 2005 06:55AM
Thank you Lo2k. Do you remember which driver version will allow the split axis to work on the wheel?

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: November 12, 2005 11:24AM
You didn't search for my last post did you ?
A single search for "thrustmaster" over current year directly gave me my last reply (with driver version):
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Date: November 12, 2005 12:20PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
i have the same problem

i use the old driver that comes with the wheel but no patch 9.6 lol

i dont want to mess with that as i dont want anything to happen with my mod and all that :D
Date: November 12, 2005 05:37PM
Depending on the driver, split axis would be enable or disable with original version of the game, so if you actually can play the original game with unified axis, installing the patch will surely makes you able to use plit axis and vice versa...
Concerning the 2.6.3 driver, it seems it's no more on the usual net adresses sadly :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2005 05:39PM by Lo2k.
Date: November 13, 2005 06:50AM
Yes Lo2K, I did do a search for your earlier posts. One of those was my original thread on this topic when I first got the wheel and attempted to set it up.

However, I have now re-read all the threads you posted on this topic and I still have some questions.

You say: "Depending on the driver, split axis would be enable or disable with original version of the game, so if you actually can play the original game with unified axis, installing the patch will surely makes you able to use split axis and vice versa..."

I have the game installed with the official 9.6 patch, so are you saying that I should select combined axis rather than split in order to get split axis to function in game?

The 2.6.3 driver is not an issue, as I found that driver and several others for this wheel in my earlier attempts to solve this problem. So if need be I can reinstall that driver...

Date: November 13, 2005 09:46AM
Posted by: mortal
I use thrustmapper software to force the split axis. Download it and set up a profile for GP4.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 13, 2005 12:45PM
@JadPanzer: What I mean is that I experienced a strange behaviour when I used different drivers:
With the first driver I used, I think it was default CD one, I could only use split axis with original game but as soon as I patched it, I could only use unified axis.
Then I downloaded new drivers like 2.6.3 and the reversed effect occurs: with original game, I could only use unified axis but hopefully, I could use split axis with the patch.

As DJskyline seemed to have original version of the game with no split axis, I suggest him to install the patch and maybe will he experiment the same thing as me and have split axis working with patch.

About it, if the current axis mode (unified or split axis) do not work in GP4, I always had the strange effect of menu selection always going down (as if the down arrow key was always hit).

Date: November 13, 2005 06:48PM
mortalwombat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use thrustmapper software to force the split
> axis. Download it and set up a profile for GP4.
>

I have been doing this. That is how I was able to map the brake to a button on the wheel to at least give me a way to drive and brake myself rather than having to rely on the auto brakes, which make it impossible to drive a competitive lap.

But if I could get the axis split on my pedals this problem would be solved....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy