new problem: how to make mclaren junior as team 11!?

Posted by Lemming 
new problem: how to make mclaren junior as team 11!?
Date: October 08, 2005 12:39PM
Posted by: Lemming
Is there a tutorial anywhere, or can someone please explain how to modify a car, just the top paint level, not the shape. I just want to have an extra 11th team that is based on one of the existing teams.

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2005 01:05PM by Lemming.
Re: How do you edit a car?
Date: October 08, 2005 12:58PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
There are lots of tutorials on racing-leagues.com/gpxcarpainting that include shading, choosing sponsors and everything to do with painting a car :)
Date: October 08, 2005 01:06PM

Date: October 08, 2005 04:18PM
what am i doing wrong here?!

i've converted mp420_1.tex into a tga file, opened it up in paint shop pro, removed raikkonen's name (i'm going to add my own later), converted it back to a tex file using texeditor 2.0 with batchconverter plugin installed, stuck the tex file back into cars.wad AND ENDED UP WITH THE SAME CAR AGAIN!!!! :D

i've had about 7 attempts so far, always with the same result, although the quality doesn't look as good as before, so i'm guessing it's something to do with the lods maybe? i'm completely new to this if you haven't guessed already but it's pretty obvious i suppose...

can anyone help? :)

hi_mp420_1.tex ?

____
Tony

Did you downsample it when you converted it back to tex as well?
b-tone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi_mp420_1.tex ?

ah, never thought of that! tried doing the same thing to this file, got this:

but now at least it seems i'm working on the right file! :)

zeppelin101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Did you downsample it when you converted it back to tex as well?

what's that? if i'm supposed to, i probably didn't do it, if i'm not supposed to, i probably did!

Downsampling makes the textures smaller when viewing them at distances, so if you downsample it basically makes 4 versions, the original size, and then 3 smaller ones.

Nice car btw, that could be to do with alphas but I doubt you've touched them...
ahhh thanks :)

any idea how to fix what's happened there? all i've done is removed raikkonen's name hi_mclaren_1.tex in paint shop but now the rest of the car has gone!

I'm not really sure, did you flip the the tga's vertically before you converted them to .tex?
no, i didn't do anything to the tga's, i just left them as they were, apart from removing the name on the sidepod. the writing was backwards in that so i just assumed that's how it's supposed to be...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2005 07:16PM by Lemming.

Is this the downsampling thing you mean? Where there's the 4 levels inside the tex file? When I convert to TGA, it only gives me one file, which I guess is wrong...

ah, i think i got it working, but only with the 3rd best quality image, which made the thing look horrible! I'm guessing that's the image that is used from a very very very long way away ;)

I also tried importing the highest quality one through GP4master, but it crashed to desktop while loading. :(

That's the downsamples yes, but what should happen is you save it as a tga in psp or photoshop with whatever bits/pixel you want, and it should be for example 1024*1024 which can then be converted with texresizer 2.2 (www.realgpx.com)
It seems you are opening the tex as a mipmap, which I have never done before, the best way is to get texresizer from lo2k's site, then extract a .tga from it, edit the .tga, and use texresizer to downsample.

YES!!!

thanks everyone :) now it's all ready to stick my own name in!

Re: new problem: how to make mclaren junior as team 11!?
Date: October 09, 2005 01:08PM
now i've got my name all sorted on a car, i got it working on the mclaren team

then i tried to copy the same mclaren to use to replace the virgin team 11 in the 2005 mod, how do you do it?! every time i do it, it just looks messy. the first few times didn't even look close, but now i have the shape working in the game, just the paintwork is all wrong...

any ideas? :)

You've either accidentally saved textures to the wrong names, or forgot to flip them bceause that's generally a side-effect of both of those
Date: October 09, 2005 01:14PM
do you know what the name should be? i put it in the Team 11 folder, and renamed it to hi_var_1.TEX, then ran CSM and it produced that! just noticed, it says mika and david in random places on the car.... where's it got the original 2001 mclaren file from?!

(I also renamed the .gp4 files from mclaren to bar, that seems to have worked for the shape, but don't think it's related?)

i've had my own paintwork working over the original mclaren slot, and i haven't changed it since then so i'm assuming it should still be OK. it's a hi-res version btw, if that makes any difference

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2005 01:15PM by Lemming.
Date: October 09, 2005 01:20PM
Posted by: b-tone
dont rename the tex, just the gp4

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy