Action taken regarding leeched downloads

Posted by Morbid 
Action taken regarding leeched downloads
Date: July 20, 2005 04:32PM
Posted by: Morbid
This post will be a sticky for 24 hours.

We are proud of our modding community. We support their efforts in improving the experience for the GPx gamers. Their work is part of what puts grandprixgames.org at the pinnacle of the GPx games community.

Last week it was discovered that a group of car painters have been using ROM1 cars, without the permission of said artist, to create their own downloads. This is in direct contradiction of the conditions stated in the readme. I informed said group, that they should withdraw their downloads or get permission from ROM1 to use his work. This request was denied.

This weekend the administrators of this site was contacted and informed of the situation. I requested them to ban the members of this group of car painters from these forums. I have also requested that none of the downloads they have made based on leeched work should be accepted in the download database.

Let me stress, that we do not like to ban users, and it is very rare we do so. I know that I always let users know in advance when they are headed this way, and give them a choice to improve their behaviour. 99% of the time there is a better solution to be found. It is a compliment to the users of these boards, that we so rarely take such hard measures.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2005 06:09PM by Morbid.
Re: Action taken regarding leeched downloads
Date: July 20, 2005 07:24PM
Posted by: jonny
good this is a sticky, hope people take good note :)

www.footballsfinestgfx.co.uk
Date: July 20, 2005 07:45PM
Posted by: Lo2k
"This request was denied."
That's a bad sign of what these modders are thinking about the spirit of a community...

Date: July 20, 2005 08:45PM
Posted by: anze89
who are this members so that we can hate them?

Date: July 20, 2005 09:00PM
Posted by: Sete Gibernau
lol

Remember the legends
Date: July 20, 2005 10:59PM
Posted by: calimbo
And please, don't download leechers work

Date: July 21, 2005 01:20AM
Posted by: chet
wtf.. first ive heard of this..

hmm the leaching seemed to like stop.. and now this :(

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 21, 2005 01:30AM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wtf.. first ive heard of this..
>
> hmm the leaching seemed to like stop.. and now
> this
>
>
>
>

leeching never stopped.
the christmas break stopped releases and leeching
IMO there are more leechers this year than last, or maybe they are more open.
We are all leechers when we mod cars but at least many of us have the decency not to release what isnt ours to release, thats called brains. leechers seem to lack them or seemingly switch them off when they release
Date: July 21, 2005 11:00AM
Posted by: Willb
"We are all leechers when we mod cars but at least many of us have the decency not to release what isnt ours to release, thats called brains. leechers seem to lack them or seemingly switch them off when they release"

Thats not true. We are not "all" leachers. Leaching is taking somebody elses work and with/without modifing it (Without authors agreement), calling it their own.
When we mod the great works of Bojan, Dahie, Yohan etc.. we keep it private. Yeh of corse we might show it off in the screenshots thread occasionally but its just for personal enjoyment. And besides if one of us "normall" gp4'ers mods a piece of works thats not our own. We say that its not out own and don't release it without our authors consent!

Its a shame there has to be a minority in every community that spoil life for the rest of us.

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy