amazing performance

Posted by ayazyounis 
amazing performance
Date: June 19, 2003 01:37PM
Posted by: ayazyounis
got a new computer today. from celeron 566 to athlon 2600+ and fps went from 18 with virtually nothing on to 48 with full sound acceleration and everything on full. ati radeon 9200se 256mb gfx.

games extremely smooth but has anyone with a reaally good spec felt that the sensation of speed isnt there? on the celeron the game wasnt as smooth but i felt i was going fast. was at imola today and checked sppeedo and was doing about 180 but felt like 100mph?

wonder if its something to do with f1graphics.cfg? wonder if it is just one item i have to change to get it bang on.
Re: amazing performance
Date: June 19, 2003 02:03PM
Posted by: F1Master
Bring down your frame rate to around 35, it still looks as good but will look a lot faster.

If you don't want to go that far down (and who would), gradually bring it down one by one and get to a point where it best suits.

I have a TNT2Pro, AMD 850hz and can run 23fps with most things on and it runs respectably smoothly. If I knock it down a few fps the smoothness isn;t as good but the speed is.

its a case of finding a compromise.
Date: June 19, 2003 02:05PM
Posted by: renyf1
i think there is post earlier on this of the off-topic of how other games really give u a sense but GP4 doesn't

the thing that makes other games seem like ur going fast is that it blurs parts of the graphics so u seem like ur going faster

i remember when playing gp2 and getting a faster comp and getting the fps to 20 or something, it was a cool feeling

somehow gp4 doesn't do it for me (the speed sense) and i'm getting like 42fps!
Date: June 20, 2003 12:14AM
Posted by: JohnW
I found that if I manual over ride the suggested fps that the GP4 calibration puts out with too many fps, the sensation of speed drops off. If it suggested about 23, in my case, and I jumped it up to 35fps, I felt like I was in a slight dream sequence. Every thing looked OK, but felt slow.

You can move the F1graphics.cfg file and let GP4 recreate a default one and see what happens.

JohnW
Date: June 20, 2003 02:27AM
Posted by: Atomik
aarghh,

this is so frustrating, I'm struggling to get my fps up from 18 to go in the twenties and that guy is complaining and wants to bring his fps down :-)) Give some to me if you really don't want them ;-))

Naa just kiddin', hope you enjoy your new system :-) I'll wait for another year to buy a new machine...

Have fun :-)
Date: June 20, 2003 04:57AM
Posted by: Lo2k
I have a 2000+ and a GeForceTI4200 playing in 1600*1200 with many things on, but i never get more than 30 fps (even in 1280 or 1024).
I guess that's an Windows XP effect as some friend having lower configuration run at 35-40fps under Win98.

But one thing is still strange for me, because depending on the GP4 installation (i reinstalled it dozens of times), speed feeling is different.
I can remind i played with a low sense of speed and then reinstalled it and get a sudden impressive feeling of speed, i was even feeling cars were runing too faster !

But i never found what makes such difference, I can only suspect something with my sound card drivers (SBAudigy). I know this point as already been discuted but this has nothing to do with material sound acceleration as disabling it never got me any more fps.

So maybe reinstalling your game, you will have a different sense of speed...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy