NEW - ITV soundset for GpxPatch!

Posted by cozmicoz 
NEW - ITV soundset for GpxPatch!
Date: May 06, 2005 09:29PM
Posted by: cozmicoz
Hi everyone,

I've just finished sampling several sound files from real F1 telecasts by ITV.

The version that has been released is v.1.03 (2 beta versions were tested at Dragon Racing Forum [www.motorsportfotos.co.uk]

I've basically assigned new 2D events for Grand Prix 4 using Murray Walker (commentary), Martin Brundle (colour), James Allen & Louise Goodman (pit reporters), and some REAL F1 in-car radio!

To my knowledge, there isn't another soundset.ini update like this...

If you recall IMG's 2004 mod included Murray Walker at the start lights in the base (v.1) version. Even that sample wasn't optimized because a long pause after the fifth light lit up, meant that there would be a noticeable 'gap' between the speech components.

I've designed each soundset file to activate at certain times, so they don't interfere with the default pit radio, and more importantly, they don't sound 'choppy' or fragmented! I've pieced together various strands of commentary to create short discussions and quick observations by the ITV crew.

The starting sequence begins with the first lights activating, and the commentary continues all the way down the first straight! If you win a race, you get Murray Walker and James Allen's excitement, along with in-car radio celebrations to carry you through most of the victory lap. All other events like pole position, loss of pole, fastest lap, fastest personal lap, loss of fastest lap, last lap, any failure, pitting-in and out, and more are included in ITV glory!

I know I sound a little biased, but I find that it really makes the game far more enjoyable!

Installation is easy - You basically erase the existing snd folder in your Grandprix 4/gpxdata folder, and paste the new snd folder in its place.

--------------
ABOUT V.1.03

It is THE BEST version, by far! You'll notice changes immediately... and appreciate the several NEW clips that help make the Grandprix 4 sound a LOT more like an ITV telecast!

Try a pitstop... the commentary following your stop is awesome!
The first and last laps are also full of commentary now!

Here's part of the readme:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ITV SOUNDSET BY COZMICOZ v.1.03

WHAT'S NEW IN V.1.03:

- Re-optimized ALL SOUND CLIPS (more clarity and less clipping)

- Added NEW COMMENTARY and FIXED some sound samples (speech-combining and timing)

- More mid-lap analysis and observations (especially on first lap, pit-out laps, and last lap)

- LONGER DISCUSSIONS and MORE INTERACTION between the ITV crew

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try it out, and let me know how it goes...

I'm also interested to know if people experience PO hits... There are instructions in the readme to help alleviate this if it occurs.

You can get the soundset at [www.motorsportfotos.co.uk]

You have to register as a member at Dragon Racing first.

Cheers,

Cozmicoz

Re: NEW - ITV soundset for GpxPatch!
Date: May 06, 2005 09:31PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
I downlaoded it laste week, I thinks its great
Date: May 06, 2005 09:37PM

Thanks,

Make sure you REPLACE v.1.02 with the NEW v.1.03... it came out THIS week.
It's far better!

Long live Murray Walker!

Cozmicoz
Date: May 06, 2005 09:47PM
oh I didnt know there was a version 3, I'll get that now

again Cozmicoz great work

Jeremy
Date: May 06, 2005 10:18PM
Posted by: bones1834
It is fantastic! The closest thing to actual Gp4 commentary. I have wanted something like this for so long. To some it can be annoying, but I enjoy commentary. The first lap sounded just like TV. Thanks!

The only thing I didn't like was, during the pit commentary, Murray talks over Louise before she finishes here line. Fix that and it would be perfect.
Date: May 06, 2005 10:22PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
but Murray always did :)

[Website]
Date: May 06, 2005 10:32PM
Posted by: bones1834
LOL!!! I wish we had his telecast here in the US. Only seen BBC/ITV coverage via old VHS recordings.
Date: May 06, 2005 10:33PM
Posted by: danm
absolutely awesome! makes the game so much more fun to drive, gets you really in the mood!!

the sounds dont bother me at all even if they are repeated but very loosely! theres loads of them im impressed!!!! i just wish there were more and all through the race!

is that possible to get a constant loop of phrases (provided we all chipped in with phrases!)

its a shame that there cant be some sort of layered sound within the default engine of the car to play constantly (ie, the small crackle in the backgrond of martins and murrays voices)

that would prevent the skipping between sounds on and sounds off - thats the only annoying bit. if we could stop this and get a constant loop in the background of this crackle it would be faultless!!!

super work guys and thank you very much!! :D

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 06, 2005 10:40PM
Posted by: danm
and to second that just looking and listening to the clips in adobe audition - would it be possible to code and programme more triggers? are they hit off from the circuit or just from car damages itself? i read in the readme theres few to offer originally.

what about constant commentary even if it is just martin describing the track corners.

we shoudl ask lo2k is sound triggers can be implemented into the track - things like 'he took that corner a little wide'

'oooh rear suspension there, thats gotta have done something'

when passing over areas of the circuit.

but let me guess, impossbile due to the game engine :P

im not sure it is impossible though - what about pit enter and exit triggers? car offs - etc

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2005 10:45PM by danm.
Date: May 07, 2005 12:07AM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
A great job! :)
Now, if only you could do one with James hunt replacing Brundle, and Jardine or Palmer replacing Allen & Goodman. :)

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: May 07, 2005 12:55AM
Posted by: chet
thank you for something outstandinly great!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 07, 2005 01:27AM
Posted by: saumilsingh
Doesn't work for me.

2d even sounds are enabled in gpxpatch and all the sound files are placed in gpxdata/snd folder root (no subdirectories).

Any ideas?
Date: May 07, 2005 01:32AM
just replace the whole snd file (make sure you backup the original)
Date: May 07, 2005 02:24AM
Posted by: TeamBPR
Just downloaded and tested this...

Very impressive! :) Good work! :)

Considering GP4 has no commentary engine built in whatsoever, it's very impressive to think how well you have covered incidents in your pack! :)
Date: May 07, 2005 02:58AM
Posted by: Leslie
TeamBPR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just downloaded and tested this...
>
> Very impressive! Good work!
>
> Considering GP4 has no commentary engine built in
> whatsoever, it's very impressive to think how well
> you have covered incidents in your pack!
>
> :: Team BPR F1 :: ::
>

hi friends,

Thanks for coming and glad you like this soundset !!

:)

LeSLie

Dragon Racing - Home - Gallery - Forum - Download - Enzojz INTERVIEW !! - Gp4 Italia INTERVIEW !!
Date: May 07, 2005 04:25AM
Posted by: BenAD
@danm

yeah I would say you would need to access the game engine to get more advanced stuff like that ;)

It also depends on if they designed GP4 originall with commentary in mind and then decided to not include it. This happens often and is why sometimes the community is able to make software that enables things which dont seem to be in the game, it just means the possibility was tehre, they just didnt get it all done...

Um yeah Ill stop now, sounds interesting this soundset, I might have to just go get it.
Date: May 07, 2005 02:40PM

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on my soundset!

Some of the questions and concerns here are good ones, and believe me, I've tried to sort out a few things regarding commentary.

I had to 'cut and paste' many clips together... that is why Louise gets cut off by Murray - which as stated, he always did anyway! (LOL) I didn't want the commentary to say things that were way off (i.e., if I didn't cut Louise off in that sentence, she'd proceed to say "...it's starting to rain...";). Now, nothing's worse that REALLY false information... especially because most players race in dry conditions.

I have just redone the whole start - it's still the same, but I've removed the background engine noises from TV (and the ones I looped) ... I found it just made the start sound more 'artificial' The 5 lights procedure is the same, because background sound is good for the revving engines on the grid...

I've also added a new line of commentary on the pit-out lap - Murray says something about how new tires can have a positive OR negative effect... You know, typical Murray, nothing too specific... :)

My whole vision with this soundset was to make the player feel as though he was part of an ITV telecast... and MOST of the time, the comments actually FIT the circumstance... Unfortunately I can only stack the first lap, pit out lap, last lap, and victory lap with commentary... I had many problems with 'overlapping' clips for other events... and I've had to 'time' them, so no matter what race situation, they don't overlap... that is where I was limited.

There will be a v.1.03b or v.1.04 sooner than later... All this feedback has motivated me to keep at it.

As per getting James Hunt and co. clips, they're just difficult to find :(

If someone could figure out how to include more event triggers in the game, the commentary could be MUCH MORE SPECIFIC! I don't know if that's possible... but this community never ceases to amaze me!

Sorry for the long-winded reply,

cozmicoz
Date: May 07, 2005 02:47PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
I have a truck load of older races, I'll capture some hunt/palmer ect stuff, and have a try at it. :)

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: May 07, 2005 03:10PM
Posted by: fast_alonso
sry for asking, but is the pitsound updated to?? i know its a stupid question but i would have esspecially a better pitsound and komunication in gp4.

--> 2 times Worldchampion 2oo5 & 2oo6' <--

Date: May 08, 2005 03:34PM
Posted by: mad otter
Can u have a 2005 version with MB and JA commentry or is it only with MW?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1024mb PC3200 GeIL Goldern Dragon RAM, ATi Sapphire X800 256mb, Windows XP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy