how much of a PO hit will there be using hi-res tracks

Posted by RenaultFan 
Hey guys

I was thinking about changing my tracks to hi-res, how much of a po hit can i expect. right now im running a average of 80-90% and maybe 100-105 in Monaco.

any input would be great

Jeremy
another question I have

the readme in the file is a bit confusing. To install do I take all the files out of part 1 and part 2 and part 3 and put them into one single file and update the wad using wadupdater?

Thanks
Jeremy
hi
it depends on your pc but you can expect a po increase of 20 upto 60 or so.

also you do not to put the 3 parts into a single folder. it is an option but you can leave them in separate folders and then select each folder in wad updater and hit update :)

i have no PO hit at all with the hi res tracks only a little longer loading.

you have to put all tex files in the wad of the track you can do that easily with wadupdater 3.3

if you have a dat file that must go into the folder circuits !!!
sometimes you'll notice a big po hit on long range cameras if you're using high res track textures and bump mapping ;)
Re: how much of a PO hit will there be using hi-res tracks
Date: May 10, 2005 12:16AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
yeah,i agree with kara19,long range shots with quite a few cars on track ups the po..
Depends on your pc...
I don't get any PO hit at 1280x1024 2xaa, but as Karan said it can rise occasionally on long range cameras.

Still I stick to the lo-res ones since they are easier to download on my 56k.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2005 12:33AM by saumilsingh.
At the speed i drive i don't have time to see anything, hi res low res.. does not matter to me. :)

Know if that Ferrari can get out of my way!
If ur just interested in driving views, the PO's usually dont change much with hi-res textures. atleast i didnt notice much of an increase. they go upto about 100-120 at the start of races but drop down to about 50 after a lap and thats with 4x AA and 8X AF
Hi guys, well I have a doubt: My computer specs are A64 3400+, 1024 DDR400, Asus K8N nforce3, Sparkle 6800 128MB 350/700, I think is a good machine and original GP4 runs perfect, but when I install hi-res circuits like caelen's PO increases a lot. I have to play "decently" at 1024x768 because 1280x1024 freezes the game, unplayable.

I understand that hi-res circuits cause it, but I think I have so good computer to run it well at 1280x1024. I saw someone of you have similar computers and I ask you if you have this same problem, or how can I solve it.

Another conclusion is that GP4 is really fantastic, but if you want realistic graphics is one of the worst optimized games. For example, GTR demo runs at 1280x1024 with all details, AA4x, aniso8x and very fluid, never freezes, I think at least 40fps. GTR has fantastic graphics and very optimized, so could be possible a GTR mod based on F1 cars and tracks?

Bye
I have an athlon xp 2600+ and bfgtech 6600gt oc 525/1025 which is only slightly faster than the vanilla 6800 (unless you decide to unlock pipelines on that 6800 whence it can become as fast as a 6800gt)

It may seem like an half-assed solution but I used to have a similar problem untill I disabled full mirror reflections.
Now the PO remains at 75-80% at the very last car on the grid in all tracks including monco and drops to 35-40% once the cars spread out.

Everything is maxed out except heathaze, video walls and mirror set to cars only.
Using 40fps @ 1280x1024 2xaa 8xaf.
Hi guys, I solved the PO problem :D. Thanks Karan for your cars.wad and gp4.exe. I put it and gp4.exe crashes to windows. back to my original gp4.exe and Karan cars.wad and all is OK, running high-res circuits from caelen at 1280x1024, all high, disabling heathaze and videowalls, mirrors "only track objects", dinamic environment, no blur, high reflections and all max quality except "boxes people" (set medium). Graphic test recommended me 53 fps !!!!! I'm very happy.

I test some tracks and max PO were Barcelona (110%) as the last car of the starting grid. During race PO down to 80%.

For example Suzuka were PO 68% at starting grid. Talking about Suzuka... I love its light effects from sun, how shadows and reflections change with car orientation, over the tarmac, ... In this track is close real, but other tracks is not so spectacular. Are you agree?

Now I enjoy the game full, at 1280x1024, AA4x, aniso 8X and 40fps. Thanks Karan again. I'll try to post some screenshots in correct post.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy