Hyper Threading

Posted by ferrari_dude 
Hyper Threading
Date: April 14, 2005 06:51PM
Posted by: ferrari_dude
Hey guys,

I have a P4 computer and i'm reading a lot about how hyper threading can solve the issue of GP4 crashing to the desktop all the time. I've read that hyper threading is located in the BIOS. Any idea where?
Re: Hyper Threading
Date: April 14, 2005 06:53PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
just set cpu to 0 or 1 in gpspatch and the problem should be gone

Date: April 14, 2005 06:57PM
I have CPU set to "0" in the GPxPatch as we speak but it didn't seem to do the trick. I'll try setting it to "1" and we'll see what happens then.
Date: April 14, 2005 11:24PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hyper-threading is the primary cause, latest ATI driver is another so if you have an ATI graphical card, avoid very latest drivers, it will be safer for GP4.

Date: April 14, 2005 11:35PM
I have an ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB video card installed. The drivers I installed are the ones that came with the card itself. Is that still a problem?
Date: April 15, 2005 10:57AM
No, only very latest drivers can cause troubles with GP4 at my known.
Anyway, what kind of crash do you get in GP4 (freeze, ctd...) and when do they appear ?

Date: April 15, 2005 11:48AM
Posted by: Sharkman
hmmm i think hyperthreding is my issue too
i get sent back to desk top at all different times, no specific time.
i have mine set to 0 on cpu aswell, il try 1 i spose!
will advise
Date: April 15, 2005 11:52AM
Posted by: Jacko007
No I have tried cpu setting on '0' and on '1' and on all and it doesnt' work. I just need to know how to disable Hyper threading. This seems to be an issue everyone mentions but with no further advise. Its like the holy grail!
Date: April 15, 2005 11:56AM
Posted by: Sharkman
so annoying isnt it, if its got to do with bios i dont think i wanna go near it, bios is pretty full on and i dont think i got the knowledge to be screwing with bios!
ahhhhh the game and frames rates are so good, graphics and physics also are excellent and i just am too scared to start a championship because it just goes back to the desktop!!!! :(
Date: April 15, 2005 12:31PM
Posted by: Jacko007
Yeah your right its bloody fantastic game, but I've never got past melbourne in a season!

Someone must know the answer. Every time I read a thread people say turn off hyperthreading, and they say things like 'yeah I've tried that'. Well I want to try it too, so someone must be able to help. How do you get into the Bios?
Date: April 15, 2005 02:54PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, only very latest drivers can cause troubles
> with GP4 at my known.
> Anyway, what kind of crash do you get in GP4
> (freeze, ctd...) and when do they appear ?
>
>

I just get sent back to the desktop.
Date: April 15, 2005 07:02PM
Posted by: jonny
ANYONE!!!!
Date: April 15, 2005 09:39PM
So for crash to desktop problems:

for those having a P4, use GPxpatch and set CPU to CPU0 or CPU1, the importent thing is that it isn't on ALL. This gpxpatch setting will disable hyper-threading for you in GP4 ONLY if you start GP4 from GPxPatch.

for those having ATI graphical cards, be sure to use a well known and stable driver. Very latest ones could cause some troubles (I don't say they are always causing troubles, but it's better in a first time to get the game working with a past stable and reliable version).

for those having background applications as Antivirus programs, be sure to deactivate them before starting the game. Even if latest version could let you play without any trouble, we had issue with game slowing or crashing every nth minutes due to background virus scans.

for those having overclocked their CPU: be sure of what you did, using a probe monitor and check your CPU do not overheat too much during a race.

for those having overclocked their graphical card, same advice as above, if you can monitor temperature of your card, have a sight on it, else look if crashes do not happen under other CPU intensive games (like Doom3, HL², etc...).

Usually, 98% of the crash to desktop problem under GP4 should be cover by the 5 rules above, I hope it could help you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy