Packer Perplexity, Part 2

Posted by JohnW 
Packer Perplexity, Part 2
Date: June 14, 2003 01:18PM
Posted by: JohnW
A few eeks back I posted a question about packers. I done some more testing and I have more confusion.

I guy in the league I hang out , who's time at Montreal was faster than mine. ( he put in a 1:13.xxx lap )

I looked over his setup and most things were within reason, but .....

Front Ride Height 17mm
Front Packers 33mm ????

Rear Ride Height 43.5mm
Rear Packers 45mm ??

I ran a lap at speed and viewed the telemetry. Here is what I saw.

As expected, the front was constantly on the packers, except when the car would roll in the slow corners. The odd part was that the over all ride height looked to be about 10mm, at speed. How can the car ride below the packer level ?

The rear of the car did NOT seem to be on the packers, except at high speed. If it's static height is lower than the packers level, how can this be ?In fact it looked to be 10-20mm above the packers !!!

Anyone want to explain this ???

JohnW
Re: Packer Perplexity, Part 2
Date: June 14, 2003 06:05PM
Posted by: mercedes
I think you mix up two different things here. Let´s say the max possible suspension travel is 50 mm (don´t know the exact figure) and you add 33 mm packers, then the max travel would be 17mm in front. For the back, using your figures max travel would be 5mm. This would mean that the front touches ground and back end has a ride height of 38.5 at max downforce. The plank may still not be grounding because its front end is back towards the centre of the car. Any comments? Maybe I´m wrong here...

Date: June 14, 2003 11:18PM
Posted by: JohnW
Mercedes,

The numbers are as I stated. Ride height is 17mm and packers are 33mm , in the front. The maximum suspension travel is the distance from the bottom of the car, ( the plank ) and the ground. The ride height figure is suppossed to measure that distance.

JohnW
Date: June 15, 2003 09:22AM
Posted by: Morbid
Okay JohnW,

Since you can't stop pushing on this subject, I decided to get to the buttom of this. I can now reveal that I have a working model for how packers and ride height works in GP4.

I can set any ride height I want and assign the packers without ever taking a test lap or looking at telemetry, and I KNOW that the car is on the packers at all times. I have even run my car at ride height: 15mm front, 20mm rear, with 20 laps of fuel and wings 20/20 for 12 laps without killing my plank.

However, be prepared to throw all conventional doctrine on how this works out of the window. Obviously, the dude that sat with this task didn't understand how ride height, packers, telemetry and the plank works. So he invented something else.

I am just gonna type it up, and it is all yours.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 15, 2003 10:20AM
Posted by: Morbid
Here it is:

[www.grandprix3.com]

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy