W98 vs. WXP

Posted by eighth 
W98 vs. WXP
Date: February 23, 2005 04:58PM
Posted by: eighth
Is there too much diference in gp4 graphics acceleration running gp4 on Windows98 instead on WindowsXP? Anyone knows?. Cause I'm plannig making another partition with W98 only for playing gp4 (it will be the only program instaled on w98 in order to increase graphics speed), and wanted to know if it is worth deleting my actual windowsXP partition...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

eighth ·· Juandi Sanchez
Re: W98 vs. WXP
Date: February 23, 2005 05:44PM
Posted by: Alesi_fan
I could not run gp4 with XP even after I did buy a better graphic card.
I have a partition with W98 now to get my gp4 run better. I dont have great fps, but its better than with XP.
I think its more about a fast processor, like 3.0 ghz if you run XP. That help my friend any way.
He got about 40-45 fps with most of the option set on max. Unfortunately I have a little older processor :(

U/
Date: February 23, 2005 05:57PM
Posted by: team cason
GP4 works great with XP.

Date: February 23, 2005 06:51PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
It works less well, becausae there's more background services runnoing in XP, but to be honest, I halvd my framerate when I switched to XPl, yet I would never go back to 98, I dont only play GP4, and XP is so much better as an OS.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: February 23, 2005 07:18PM
yeah, but i mean having xp and w98 in separate partitions and be able to run them. W98 to play gp4 and XP to the rest

________________________________________________________________________________________________

eighth ·· Juandi Sanchez
Date: February 23, 2005 07:23PM
Posted by: Fullers F1
Win98 every time for me! I also run a dual boot system with 98 as my main OS. I use XP only for the latest versions of software that no longer have support for Win98.
Even using older GFX drivers for win98 I get a faster more playable GP4 than in XP on the same system. I have spent much time stripping down XP to save resources, and using the latest drivers but it will never match what I achieve in win98. The only way you may match it would be to install XP without any network/internet services (which is harder than you think), and even then this would force it to be a secondary system or partition for most users.
IMO there is nothing that XP can do for me that win98 can't. True! you need to know a little more to run win98, ie. drivers and configuration etc, but that's a good thing.. isn't it?

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does" (MW)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:40AM
Posted by: bones1834
What files runnung in the background can you shut down to get better perfromances? I know Anti-virus's maybe? What else?
Date: February 24, 2005 06:48PM
Posted by: Fullers F1
Try This....

[www.blackviper.com]

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does" (MW)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:35PM
Posted by: Caelen
when you dual boot, jou dont have to actually install gp4 for the new windows 98 partition.
just keep all your games on a separate (to the os) partition and make this partition visible to both operating systems.
then you can run the games from either os and compare the performance for yourself.
not many games have to be "installed in order to run" my gp4 is the same one i instlled whrn it came out and ive reinstalled windows many times since then,
Date: February 24, 2005 11:59PM
What do you mean caelen?
Are you saying that it's possible installing gp4 in a third partition with one o.s. and then runing it from the other o.s. In example, installing gp4 running wXP (into a third partition),then boot from w98 and execute the game from w98 o.s.?. Rare thing... o_OU

eighth ·· Juandi Sanchez
Date: February 25, 2005 12:43AM
Posted by: NickKK
Im triple booting and out of 2k XP and 98 for ME 98 performs best followed by XP and 2k (only coz its stuffed with my non-game stuff)

Date: February 25, 2005 01:07AM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
To be honest, i used to get better fps on 98, but once i got my new processor, my computer said 'no' when i tried to get it to run on 98.

[Website]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy