PO

Posted by Marks 
PO
Date: January 13, 2005 07:23PM
Posted by: Marks
I was wondering.... my pc: P4 2.6 Ghz, GF6800Ultra 256mb, 1024mb ram..... and when I set resolution @ 1024*768 and the oter things max. and no heat haze, cockpit visor, tv screens (disabled everything out of that row) and my Processor Occupacency is about 150, 200.... It's going slow and I was wondering whether I'm the only one or not. Is there a tip to make it more smooth?
Re: PO
Date: January 13, 2005 08:15PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Date: January 13, 2005 08:24PM
I don't think I got the hint:P
Date: January 13, 2005 08:50PM
Posted by: Guimengo
search for the same problem ;-). Try setting shadows and pitcrews to medium, for a start. There have been several cases of people complaining of that, a quick look around will help
Date: January 13, 2005 09:04PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
What FPS have you set it at. You should get a lot better than that with your specs, but if you did automatic graphics at first, then the FPS will be really high.

Also, cut down the detail in the mirrors

Date: January 13, 2005 09:14PM
Posted by: Caelen
with a 2.6 gig p4 and a 68
00 ultra you should be aiming at at least 40 fps with full details and at least 4x AA.
i reckon your problem are more to do with on board sound or hyper threading or something like that.
you shouldnt have to reuce any details with a setup like that, except maybe rurn off dynamic environment mapping, which is a big killer. the other thing is bump mapping, if you use AA and bump mapping together it gives a huge po boost, so i personally choose AA and turn off bump mapping. (note this could be a radeon problem only)
Date: January 14, 2005 01:01PM
Posted by: jmax
Hi Marks, I have this problem too. I upgraded my 9600 to a Sparkle 6800 in an Athlon XP2600+, 1024 DDR400 and Asus A7N8XDeluxe and the game run a PO near 170% on starts, whith highest settings and 40fps at 1280x1024. I tried to set mirrors=Trackside objects, static environment and I get 90% PO in Montreal but 150% in Barcelona for example. I concluded that GP4 is CPU high depending and gfx card don't help so much on mantaining fps. I noticed that probably hi-res circuits and cars are who cause this PO, because in training mode I get 40 fps and runs very fluid with all settings high. But in racing mode (with 22 cars) the game need a faster CPU. For races I put graphics settings Main view=Trackside objects, but fps decreases always on start. After some laps it runs OK, so I think a CPU upgrade (A64 3200 probably) will solve the problem.

Best regards.
Date: January 14, 2005 03:24PM
I just upgraded my graphics card so a proc. upgrade is not a way for me. But I can't understand it: the game is from 2002 and I don't understand why they haven't tweaked the game better to run on pc's becouse in '02 they had never heard of a GF 6 serie for example.... Just compare doom 3--> much more effects and more complex technics but that runs just great. But thnx 4 the replies.
Date: January 14, 2005 04:08PM
I think so, with my old K7 1GHz and GF2Ti it ran well, and not perfect with 2600+ and GF6800???? I think GP4 gfx motor was programmed as CPU dependent and it never changes. I installed last updates of circuits and cars and GF6800 can apply all effects, but it always depends of CPU and car and circuit mesh are more complex than originals (ex. Barcelona2001.wad original->17,8MB; updated->26,7MB). Did you test the game with a clean install, without patches?
Date: January 16, 2005 12:37AM
No, maybe that will do right but I want to play it with new cars/circuits and if I can't run it well, who else can. (I don't want to look arrogant but you understand me )
Date: January 16, 2005 10:18AM
Of course Marks, I understand you very well because I'm being mad trying to optimize the game and I think I have a good computer for it. I'm watching in the screenshots post that some people have an excellent graphics quality, and I would be agree if they could explain which hardware and gfx configuration are they using, frames per second, PO activity, etc.

Thx
Date: January 16, 2005 10:25AM
Posted by: Caelen
heres an axample
im running athlon xp 2600 with radeon 9800 pro on nforce2 fsb - 400 and dual channel memory.
i run gp4 at 40 fps i use fraps to measure and i get 40 fps in dry weather at all times and in a wet start at monaco my fps gets down to 38 untill passed the first corner.
i run at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 8xAF
all details are high,(mirror as well) ive reduced to two mipmaps and reduced mipmap bias to make image sharper.i use static environment maps and have bump mapping off.
i use all viper/enzoj's cars and highres tracks.
Date: January 16, 2005 11:29AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
My specs are below, and I use Starstorm Gfx drivers, but I don't think that has made much difference to GP4 anyway.

I run @ 33FPS in the game setting ( I don't use Fraps in GP4) @ 1280*1024. I have all settings on max except:
Heat haze and video screens off;
Bump mapping off (although turning it on for me lowers PO!);
Mirrors to cars only. I have tweaked the gfx file so that I have the cars, the tracks and grass and barriers only (no smoke or anything either), and the cull distance for the detail and cars is 50m;
Satic environment maps
Reflections are high, but the track reflections in the wet are set to low. This gives you the really reflective track but a much lower PO than leaving it on high where the reflections are less.

I use mainly vipers/enzoj's cars
I don't have a wheel with an LCD screen, and this saves 10% PO.
My PO in the dry @ the start of the race in Europe (which is the most demanding track at the start) is 90% at the back of the grid (only 20cars), and may peak to about 100% at the first corner sometimes.
If it's raining, the PO goes up 20% everywhere.
If it's dry but is going to rain later, the PO goes up 30%. So the only times it goes above 100% is at the start in most tracks in the rain.

I don't have AF, AA or V-sync on. Interestingly though, if I set AA to 4x, I get no PO hit in car, but when I go into trackside camera, the PO will be up to 50% higher than when AA is off. If I turn AF on ,I automatically get a 30% PO hit.

I'll send you my gfx config if you want.

Date: January 16, 2005 11:52AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
AF sharpens far away textures, so out of car it'll be sharpening like a madman, hence the po hit.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 19, 2005 09:19PM
Posted by: Mnementh
Hi,

Sorry to seem like a dunce, but what are AA AF and V-sync. How do I edit them?

I'm currently running on an 3200+ Athlon, 512 Mb RAM, GeForce 5200 (128 Ram), M848A MOBO and a SB PCI 128 Souncard (Yes I know, it's old) XP Pro SP2. I'm currently getting a frame rate of 24.

M
Date: January 19, 2005 11:01PM
AA and AF are graphics card settings. Go to:-

Right click desktop / properties / Settings / Advanced / 3D (it might be called something else for your card - not 3d).

Make sure its set to 'Application Preference' for both AA and AF.

V Sync is basically how many frames per second your monitor can physically do. With it switched on (v sync) you're limited to your monitor's refresh rate - say 70 hz (ie 70 frames per second). With it off, in theory its unlimited, in reality you get texture tearing, and a few odd graphics now and then - not an issue in Gp4, since you'll never get 70fps.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: January 21, 2005 12:31PM
Posted by: Mnementh
qwerty,

Thanks, previously unknwon areas of my video card. Have played around a little and now getting 35 FPS.

M
Date: January 21, 2005 02:48PM
Awesome! good result :)

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy