cars.wad?

Posted by checha 
cars.wad?
Date: June 07, 2003 10:59AM
Posted by: checha
ok this is my question.. it could be stupid but anyway!

if i have a 37.4mb of cars.wad and i download a new car and this file car is big of course my wad is going to grow up(39.0mb) , now is this car file is less bigger that the one i have in the game my .wad is coming down or still growing up?????? what i mean is if the .wad file size can go down to (36.4mb) example

Re: cars.wad?
Date: June 07, 2003 03:31PM
ok.. i guess no one know!! thanks

Date: June 07, 2003 10:53PM
Posted by: captainvik
My season 2002 wad woz 50mb and I added in the 2003 Ferrari by Viper and it shrunk down to 48mb.

So I think the answer is Yes it can shrink (grow down) or enlarge (grow up) according to the size of the cars.

But we all need to enlarge now don't we :)

cheers
vik

ps. wish someone would answer my Pitboard problem... hmmm

P4 2.85gig Albatron mobo 512mb Corsair3200LL Ram 19"Auriga Mon. SBLive! + 4point surround spkrs. Thrustmaster F1 FF Wheel. Radeon9500pro Cat3.4 drivers. GP4 55fps 1024*768 - No VideoWalls/HeatHaze - Mirrors On.
Date: June 08, 2003 12:33AM
Posted by: Max Downforce
The cars.wad is just another bin you chuck garbage in :) if you take some out it'll shrink put some in and it'll grow!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: June 08, 2003 12:54AM
Posted by: JordanFatLegs
My cars.wad is 91.3mb!!!!!!

kkk/b
Date: June 08, 2003 01:07AM
Posted by: b-tone
137mb and its only half finished

____
Tony

Date: June 08, 2003 08:51AM
hey b-tone if the .wad is that big as yours the game isn´t slowly ??? mine is 38Mb... hehehe!!! and it run ok!! i´m scare how much will grow up after viper fix the ferrari and made the renault. i have 32MB Graphic card

Date: June 08, 2003 08:53AM
i think about po of 3100 was the highest, so its not really playable... ;)

____
Tony

Date: June 08, 2003 09:00AM
d a m n .. i need a new graphic card!

Date: June 08, 2003 10:22AM
Posted by: sasjag
wad size doesn't really affect performance

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 08, 2003 10:29AM
thats right, but a large wad usually means large gp4 and tex filesizes, and they affect performance.
so even tho the wads size doesnt do any damage directly, you could safely assume that a large wad will hit the performance. (unless its full of junk)

____
Tony

Date: June 08, 2003 10:29AM
Posted by: ralphi
137mb and its only half finished

How the hell can you have 137mb wad file..What do you have in it??
Mine is 70mb and I only put the best stuf i could find..

Date: June 08, 2003 10:32AM
Posted by: Bigbrother
yeah what did you put in it to get it sooo big !!!!!

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

greetings steven (bigbrother)
Date: June 08, 2003 11:12AM
Posted by: Morbid
You need to think of the wad files as neat little packages for the game to access and use. It is a bit like a *.zip or *.rar archive. You open it, and there are lots of files, but you only extract and use those you need.

The same goes for GP4. If your cars.wad has old texture files and such, then performance will not drop, because GP4 simply doesn't use them. Of course if you lack space on your HD, then you might want to do some spring cleaning from time to time in your wad files.

Btw, the size of your wad file will seldom bring a 32mb gfx card like GF2 ultra to its knees. You need to think about strong bus speeds on the motherboard, good ram and a strong CPU. Performance might drop if you insert much bigger textures and more detailed carshapes, but that is something else.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 08, 2003 11:25AM
my 137mb one is my itc mod.
each shape has 7 textures, and as the cars vary a bit each and every car more or less needs the whole 7 textures. if i could remap maybe i'd save some sapce, but nevermind.
at the moment each car has about four 1024x1024 and one 1024x2048, (i'll try and keep the released version around 80-90mb), and my system is well and truly on its knees.

____
Tony

Date: June 08, 2003 12:53PM
Posted by: Max Downforce
If you use GP4 master a lot check if it's not included a previous cars.wad within your new cars.wad. It sometimes does that and that adds up...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy