a) decrease occupacy levels
b) help maintain occupacy levels
c) make my loading times shorter
d) hardly nothing...

or other suggestions?

Re: what would more RAM do to Gp4
Date: September 18, 2004 11:13AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Best answer is c and nothing else (GP4 speaking).
What's your actual CPU and Ram Quantity ?

Date: September 18, 2004 11:40AM
Posted by: paulhackettevans
It sounds rather obvious, but the better specified computer you have, the bettr GP4 will run.

Before GP4 came out, I ran GP3 on a self-built PC with an AMD K6-2 500Mhz processor, 512Meg of RAM and a GeForce 2 graphics card. GP3 ran well on this PC, but when GP4 came out, I found it just wouldn't run except at very low frame rates and in low resolution with most of the display options (mirrors, video walls, etc) switched off.

So I built a new PC, using an Intel Pentium 3 1GigHz processor, 768 Meg of RAM (PC100) and the same GeForce 2 graphics card. It ran well at high frame rates, but the processor occupancy was frequently very high and occasionally, when cornering amongst a pack of other cars, the game would slow down and then pick up again. I couldn't run high-res cars with it without sacrificing the frame rate.

That PC developed a motherboard fault after a couple of years of heavy use. So I had to build a new one in a hurry. The next PC, which I still use now, has an AMD Athlon 2GigHz Processor, a Gainward GeForce 4 graphics card and 512Meg of PC133 RAM.

The detail from the Gainward graphics is superb and the game ran very fast with all screen objects, except for heat haze, switched on. Until this week, I ran the standard cars with only one modification - Viper's 2003 Ferrari. However, this week, I've downloaded Steven's 2004 carset, helmets and pitcrews, all at high res and the game now looks fantastic, but slows down frame rates in occasional corners in the pack again.

I'm going to add more RAM to my PC in case this will help to speed it back up. But maybe after Christmas, I'll be building another PC and make it faster still.

I think the OS also has an effect. I have a friend who runs GP4 on a similarly equipped Windows XP computer and GP4 doesn't seem to run as smoothly as it does on my Windows 98SE. That's the exact reason why I don't want to upgrade my OS, because GP4 seems to run best for me on Win98SE. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Paul
Date: September 18, 2004 03:44PM
Posted by: _tux_
for gp4, adding more ram will decrease loading times. adding a faster cpu will decrease PO
Date: September 18, 2004 05:05PM
Posted by: Bigbrother
thats true, ram only is good for faster loading times. Have now AMD 64 3000+ with the same ram as before and can run the game now with all graphics on and my PO is still between 40-60 during race and its about 70-80 at the start on 30 fps.
Date: September 18, 2004 05:09PM
Posted by: harjinator
I found that an extra 512MB did nothing. Overclocking the graphics card and processor helped a lot though...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 18, 2004 06:25PM
Posted by: Silver
Thats right... for me too... just exchanging the processor and graphics card now my Gp4 is "perfect"... the RAM memory have no influence really if you have 512 at least no diference at all

www.gundambrasil.com.br

Date: September 19, 2004 02:24AM
Posted by: paulhackettevans
So I'd be wasting my time to add RAM? Am I better to put the cash towards a new PC after Christmas??

Any suggestions as to what PC components would be best for GP4??? In my experience, the AMD based machines seemed to be generally better than the Intel ones.

What's hot in graphics cards nowadays??

Thanks
Paul
Date: September 19, 2004 02:26AM
Am I better to put the cash towards a new PC after Christmas??

no, save the cash and get a better cpu :p
Date: September 19, 2004 03:17AM
Posted by: raztahz
thanks guys!

i had 256md before and i just bought a new pc with 512mb RAM

Date: September 19, 2004 08:20PM
Posted by: darrenj
New CPU means sometimes (most of the times) new motherboard thus in principal new PC

===========================================================================
Core i7 920@ 3.8, 3x2gig DDR3 ram, GA X58 UD5 mobo, Powercolor ATI HD 5850 1gig, Cheiftec 750W, CM HAF 922 case.
Shop lifters of the world, unite and take over.
Date: September 19, 2004 08:37PM
no. new cpu means new cpu. thus the principle of getting a new cpu :)

what cpu do u have atm
Date: September 19, 2004 08:40PM
well tux i went from and AMD 2200 towards AMD 64 bit and i needed a new motherboard to so Darren is right. But if you go for AMD 3000 then you won't be need a new motherboard!
Date: September 19, 2004 08:41PM
But if you go for AMD 3000 then you won't be need a new motherboard!

see, it is possible to upgrade the cpu without a new mobo ;-)

and a new mobo doesnt mean new pc anyway :)
Date: September 19, 2004 08:46PM
Well like i said i went towards amd 64 bit 3000+ with a new motherboard and i paid a total of 300
Date: September 19, 2004 08:53PM
you can still expand later when needed without buying a new pc.

u dont need to buy an entire new pc to expand further :P
Date: September 19, 2004 08:59PM
indeed tux but sometimes expanding with new things can give errors between things. I got it with buying a new Hard drive.
Date: September 19, 2004 08:59PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
"The fight for the definitave last word intensifies..." ;)

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Date: September 19, 2004 09:00PM
lol burgerfan :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy