Network help..!!

Posted by Willb 
Network help..!!
Date: August 18, 2004 08:20PM
Posted by: Willb
Hi all.

Just got our second pc up and running it is on win 98 and this pc is on xp pro. We have installed the network card and the drivers and the computers seem to be connected as data is being recieved by the xp machine as well as being sent. But i can't work out how to actually share the files of the pcs. i have run xp's network setup on both pc's but can't work out how can share the computers files and recorces. Please help we really want to play GP4 over the network!

thanks!

Willb
Re: Network help..!!
Date: August 18, 2004 08:32PM
Posted by: katunga
Ok, if you checked that both computers were sending and receiving you´re currently connected. For playing GP4 on a LAN just install GP4 on both comps (with both the same settings preferebly) and the server will be able to detect the host auto.
Now if you´re not sure that both comps are sharing resources, just make sure that the Microsoft network client is activated (in settings/network) and that you´re sharing the resource you want (by right clicking the desired resource: a folder, a drive, etc., then "share";)
Hope it helps
Date: August 18, 2004 08:55PM
Hi Thanks for the reply!.d

Right i have ben messing around and i can't actuaklly See the other computer on the network i could a bit earlier but i have reinstalled so much stuff i don't know. In "My network PLaces" I click on view workgrop computers I can only see this pc not the other one.

Please help!

thanks!

regards

Willb
Date: August 18, 2004 09:02PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
firstly both pcs need to be on the same workgroup. right click my computer icon on desktop and goto properties and then goto computer name. make sure the same workgroup name is given to each pc. to share files just right click the folder you wanna share and goto properties and then select share this folder. then goto my network places and then select view workgroup computers and you ahould see both pcs. you can access files of the each pc from the other thru this.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: August 18, 2004 10:22PM
Thx it works!!!

Just gota sort out the lag now

ty both of you!
Date: August 18, 2004 10:22PM
O 1 more quesiton...how do i set up internet conection sharing?

thanks!

Date: August 19, 2004 11:52AM
agh...i tried setting up internet connection sharing now i have meesed it all up. It keeps saying IP address conflict on both pcs and i want 2 start my network from scratch but i dont no how to dlete the old one.

Please help!!

Thanks

Willb
Date: August 19, 2004 12:55PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Hmmm, when setting up my uni network - NTL dont support connection sharing, so I suppose moost ISPs dont. If the two are directly connected, then they'll share an IP, which is bad - as it will conflict, as you say. If you use a network switch (like a router) you plug internet into that, it assigns virtual IPs to all PCs on the network (that are also connected to switch / router) and then you run the Internet connection wizard - connecting through a 'residential gateway'.

That should work. Or, a solution I've found (certainly with NTL) is plug the Modem (if broadband of course) into a USB port, then set up the IP software if required. Then that PC has internet. Then use a CAT5 network cable to go into a router from your network card, and the otheer pc iinto the router via CAT5 cable. Run setup wizard, using the XP disk, selecting acccesss internet througgh another PC. Again, this fixes the IP isssues, as it assigns a virtual IP.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 19, 2004 01:02PM
wow so complidated.

Im on BT and and our internet cafe around tey road uses NTl so it must support connection sharing right?

Also the 2 comps have diff ips as i finally sorted it out. and we can now file share and play gp4 :-)

but i have 2 turn all the graphics down on my fast pc or the mulitplayer po goes liek 300 then it just gets stuck for about 5 seconds then it carries on normal for about 1 second then gets stuck again!
Date: August 19, 2004 01:26PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Hmm, no the internet cafe will just use a really big switch (ie a boxx with loads of ports for network cables) all appling virtual is, so network sharing works. NTL will work with connection sharing, they just wont help you set it up is all.

Glad you sorted it out - network gaming especially for gp4 is deopendant upon the slowest pc's performance - so whatever you set that on, the others will need the same or less :(

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 19, 2004 02:31PM
O well thx!# 4 all the help m8!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy