thoughts to dirt on track...

Posted by stifflers mum 
thoughts to dirt on track...
Date: August 09, 2004 01:28PM
Posted by: stifflers mum
dont now if it was a topic in here, if, feel free to click away.
i was riding at hungaroring and was cutting the last chicane. some dirt flew in the air, only at the left side. it looks pretty cool.
my idea if its possible: enlarge the gravel/dirt on the track or create a new one on the track whilst on the outside of corners or the off-line. if this gravel/dirt object is with slightly less grip, but nearly the same as on tarmac, it has a cool dirt effect, even with grip-difference !
is at an good thought?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2004 01:30PM by stifflers mum.
Re: thoughts to dirt on track...
Date: August 09, 2004 04:05PM
isnt it possible? or old minded stuff?
Date: August 09, 2004 06:47PM
Posted by: Marclaren
that would be great, can you get a screenshot of that on yours?
Date: August 09, 2004 07:04PM
Posted by: Lo2k
if we enlarge gravel traps on off-line parts of the tracks, those parts will also feels like gravel traps :p

Date: August 09, 2004 08:37PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
I thought you could add new gravel traps into certain areas and then change the properties of these new gravel traps, ie make them like tarmac.

Date: August 09, 2004 08:50PM
i thought that too. i play some rebuild tracks from ricardo(?) where gravel pits turned in to tarmac parts. f.e. last curve at hungaroring. it feels like tarmac........
@ lo2k is it possible to change the props with one of your great editors?
Date: August 09, 2004 09:43PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
If you could change the properties, you'd have to change the smoke file too, else you'd get thick gravel smoke everytime you went off line, and for that matter, the gravel sound too.

Date: August 09, 2004 10:12PM
Posted by: six degrees
97kirkc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought you could add new gravel traps into
> certain areas and then change the properties of
> these new gravel traps, ie make them like tarmac.
>

that's true, but I believe gp4 only supports 4 or so distinct types of "ground", and the parameters of these are fixed, so in reference to this thread a fifth type would have to be created which can't :)

or something like that :)

Date: August 09, 2004 10:46PM
Posted by: Marclaren
it wou;d be good!
Date: August 10, 2004 08:55AM
but how is made the trackupdate from ricardo? it feels like tarmac, sounds like tarmac but is in original gp4 gravel....?! am i wrong ??? :o/
Date: August 10, 2004 11:05AM
Posted by: Willb
no i think he just swaped the surface from gravel to tarmac :-P
Date: August 10, 2004 11:09AM
Posted by: Lo2k
What I tried to say in my first post is that of course you can change behaviour of any smallest part of the track but if you do so, all aspects of that behaviour will apply.
So if you choose tarmac to replace gravels, surface will become hard, with no dust at all and if you choose gravels to replace tarmac, surface will become raw and bumpy and dust will fly all over.
You can't have a hard surface & projected dust at the same time (not at my known at least).

Date: August 10, 2004 11:50AM
hmm, thats sad. was an idea... but who knows?! maybe u will find out a trick to make this possible!?! ;o)
Date: August 10, 2004 01:29PM
Posted by: chet
At the 130R at Suxuka the run off area on Caleans Hires track the surface is Tarmac but when you drive across it is very light gravel

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 10, 2004 02:19PM
twice? ;o)
@ calean: how do you did this???? where is he?
Date: August 11, 2004 09:52AM
Posted by: Caelen
this is a bug not a feature. i used ricardos 2003 suzuka as a base, he obviously editet the visual properties of the run off, ie looks like tarmac but at the time physical properties werent edited, .col file i think. i did edit a few bits to make them match but obviously missed this bit.
read what lo2k wrote, he's the expert.

i understand what you want but it would require defining a new track property as mentioned above.

currently you have tarmac which obviously behaves like tarmac
and gravel which behaves like gravel, what you want is gravel that behaves like tarmac and gravel, ie hard as tarmac but sprays dust like gravel.
note this property is independent of actual texture.

perhaps you could ask madman on his forum. hes also another gp4 genius. you should try out his latest beta of tweaker, which includes slip stream effects and much better force feedback effects.

Date: August 11, 2004 10:39AM
arrgh. thanks. it was only a thought.
thanks guys for responses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2004 10:42AM by stifflers mum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy