Gp4 rocks again

Posted by LarryM 
Gp4 rocks again
Date: June 04, 2003 07:15AM
Posted by: LarryM
For those of you who remember me whining about my total loss of FPS after upgrading at great expense to win xp and a radeon 9700 pro- I'm back.
GP4 chugs along now at fps of 30-45. I set it at 38. I am running at 1280x1024 AA on x2 and AF x2. Quality textures, mipmapping or not makes no difference so quality is on and most eye candy including haze but static em.

What did I do? I switched mother boards took the Epox mentioned below in my sig. Why? Because the Asus board, I had just bought, did not allow me to change AGP voltage. With the new board and voltage set to 1,7 (instead of 1,5) , at least GP4 works- so far. My 3d Mark2001 is still missing at least 2000 marks, but that may be win xp??
However my recent hotlap in Monaco at 1m18s7xx looks fine up until the swimming pool, when the car goes totally nuts. The way it does if you mess with physics settings. odd? I'll have to make a few more hotlap saves and see if this repeats itself.

BTW: If anyone else has a similar board and graphix card, .The Smart agp or whatever will not set fastwrites (enabled in BIOS) or allow agp x8 (also enabled in BIOS).- odd? It doesn't message anything, just ignores me. hot

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Re: Gp4 rocks again
Date: June 04, 2003 08:31AM
Posted by: Paco
Congratulations Larry! Finally you'll play GP4 in the way you want to.
Come on, try to improve your lap at Monte-Carlo, I'm not a very good (keyboard) driver and mi best lap was about 1:16.4xx
Once again, congratulations, so many people tried to help you, and finally yourself found a solution, that's great

I'm against sigpics
Date: June 04, 2003 09:09AM
Posted by: Tony
Yes Congratulations Larry:) - nice to see you on your feet again, must have seemed like ages holding on to that Zimmerframe:)

Motherboard, Voltages, you see, what did I telll ya;)

My best Monaco lap is 1:18:317 (Jordan) Can't get a "sub 1:18" for love nor money (this is stock out-of-the-box settings however:(

Tony

Post Edited (06-04-03 16:10)

With the ever increase in technology, the word "impossible" should be used with caution - if at all
Date: June 04, 2003 09:46AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I have to say, play gp4 monaco for first time after gp3/f12002 and you realise just how big those barriers are and the amzing L.O.D.

Date: June 04, 2003 10:01AM
Posted by: Timm
Glad to hear you're up and running again Larry.

Nice one

Date: June 04, 2003 12:08PM
It feels good. Yessir. God, I love this game. Thanks to you all who gave me so much help during my suicidal period. Special thnaks to Tony who set me on the right track (sic).

BTW anybody notice that the megapatch download is down and gpx.it is down completely. I reckon we enthusiasts have sunk them. Too many people trying to dl 183mb. Pisses me off cos' I only got half of it before the connection timed out while I slept. In any case I would want to playaround with cars.wad I think. Speaking of which the new renault, why don't we have it here?
Whoops-edit- got it from another thread here:
[www.grandprixgamer.com]
Sorry for doubting

Post Edited (06-04-03 19:11)

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: June 04, 2003 12:27PM
Posted by: ferrariace
Don't worry about the fastwrites,it isn't enabled on my 8500le either.As for the agp8x try rage3d.I know a couple of driver releases ago there was a problem with it showing as agp2x instead of agp8x.
Date: June 04, 2003 12:40PM
Posted by: marcl
I have just changed my motherboard as well got away from the VIA chipset and got an asus with the nvidia chipset, GP4 is so fast and there is none of this graphic slow down.

The board i got also has this dual ram thing not tried it yet, need to save for the ram. The board i got lets me change the voltage if i want.

Larry the was asus work it u need to use the over clock in the bios change it from normal to aggresive. I aint tried it as i do not wanna risk blowing up my cpu and my pc is running fast enough.

The main problem at the mo is the VIA k400 chipset its got so many probs and the new one coming out has even more. Its just great that Nvidia are now giving us a choise when for years all AMD users could have was VIA.

U should still get a hight fps though i have a AMD2000+ gforce ti 4200 8agp and am getting 54 fps with all detail on high apart from the haze, reflections and all that stuff.
Date: June 04, 2003 01:08PM
Posted by: Tony
i have a AMD2000+ gforce ti 4200 8agp and am getting 54 fps with all detail on high

;):)
Date: June 04, 2003 03:07PM
Tony

That is what it tells me when i run that graphics test thing.

The only problem i am getting is the game keeps on slowing down for a split second every lap,

Any one know how to solve this as its really anoying me
Date: June 04, 2003 03:28PM
Posted by: b-tone
slowing down for a split second every lap

firewall?

____
Tony

Date: June 04, 2003 04:02PM
I do not have the net running but norton is maybe u are right.

This did not help :(.

Have emailed asus to get their advice

Post Edited (06-04-03 23:27)

Date: June 04, 2003 09:52PM
Don't accept the games 54 fps recommendation. Drop the fps level down to say 45. I think GP4 tries to maintain the set level and then the CPU gets overworked. The problem is that it may affect your controller reponse nad make driving difficult. Lower fps- you can afford it.

Larry
Date: June 05, 2003 03:49AM
I have dropped it down to 30 bust am still getting this hesitation. I am gonna try a different graphics card over the next few days to see if my other mother board damaged the one i am using.

The only one i can try is my radeon 8500le.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy