Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0

Posted by raztahz 
Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
Date: March 25, 2004 03:24AM
Posted by: raztahz

hi there raztahz here...

i think most of the third party programs used with GP4 are under Delphi 7.0
i was wondering if Visual basics 6.0 can be recomended?

at the moment i have been going through my programing skills and thought
gp4 might be a good start to do some of my own programing stuff at home
i'm thinking of making a simple driver and team editor, just for starters
that can be used with GPx Patch

Re: Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
Date: March 25, 2004 03:56AM
Posted by: joostingh
Most of the programs are build with C++ Builder.

And that is my profession right now :D
Date: March 25, 2004 04:14AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Well, use the language you are the most used to, there's no impossibility to use a language or another.

As far as i know, GPxPatch, Carset Manager, GP4 Master and GP4Tweaker might be written in C (any version) and Carset Creator and all my tools are written with Delphi (any version).

Date: March 25, 2004 05:56AM
Posted by: ZaZ
vb6 would be more than enough for the thing you want :) and i agree what Lo2k says... Just pick the language which suits you best -> or is best for the job. I personally use 'all' languages together (VB, Delphi, C++, and a little bit of ASM), but to give you an indication... Easywad2 was fully written in VB6(only tweaked so it doesn't need the runtime) :) and there's much more possible with that language. It has its downsides, but it's quite underestimated because of earlier versions imho

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: March 25, 2004 07:59AM
Posted by: tux
gp4 master was in delphi. gp3edit was in c

Date: March 25, 2004 08:20AM
Posted by: Borjaserrano

vb6 is the language that I use, but there is a thing that i donĀ“t know how the programmers made. How can I extract tangible datas of any Gp4 file?

Date: March 25, 2004 10:47AM
Posted by: Alex13
VB6 aint bad, just not as good as C++ ;) If u learn C++ it wont be hard to also use Java

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: March 25, 2004 11:34AM
imho, delphi is superior to c++ because

1. it is as powerfull as c++, it can do nearly everything c++ can do
2. easier to learn (much easier)
3. faster productivity

downside

not used as widely as c++ for commercial games. mostly used for utilities etc :o

Date: March 25, 2004 07:21PM
thanks for the help guys...
Visual Basics also comes with c++6.0

Date: March 25, 2004 09:56PM
Posted by: Madman271
Visual Basics also comes with c++6.0

Is it Visual Studio?
Or just common stuffs from Visual Studio?
How much it cost you for complete package like that?

In reality, doesn't matter who's right but most important is who's left.
Date: March 26, 2004 03:15AM
if u get vstudio 6 then u get vc++ 6 and vb6 i dont know on the price :)

Date: March 26, 2004 09:32AM
Posted by: Alex13
delphi is superior to c++? Me doesnt think so.
I dont think it would be possible to create a new OS for example using Delphi. Most programers I know agree with that ;)

AMD64 3400+ (running at 2,66ghz atm ;))DDR400 1gb(running at 433) Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 6800ultra, Tagan tg-480w, Audigy 2Zs, Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Using X-aser Lanfire case with 5 fans inside cathodelights etc included aswell :P
Date: March 26, 2004 10:47AM
if u get vstudio 6 then u get vc++ 6 and vb6 i dont know on the price

Oh.
He was mentioned about buying vb6 and get vc6 for free.
I think it would be cheaper than buying visual studio. :)

I dont think it would be possible to create a new OS for example using Delphi.

I agree and disagree. :)
You mentioning about C++ can create a new os. It's not entirely true. The correct one is native C. C also uses some assembler codes for optimizations and working on tasks that cannot be done by C, such as reorganizing stack frames.

The disadvantage of Pascal (such as delphi) is dependent platforms due of natural sematics on the language. Borland then introducing Object Pascal (available since Borland Pascal 7.0) to improve Pascal features that allow programmers to explore resources into low-level codes. There is possible to create os using Pascal (not delphi) as long as the compiler allow you to create binary object files that can be linked separately.

But still unfair comparing C and Pascal due of their different native purposes. Pascal is for productivity while C is for development. This is like comparing men and women. They're have different advantages and disadvantages.

In contract, Assembler is yet most powerful "language" (honesly it's not trully a language but machine instructions translated as structured syntax). You can harvest all processor's capabilities with this language. However, assembler is platform dependant. You'll have to remake the codes for cross-platform's code. There's no solution to keep assembler language compatible to each platform due of this language actually a machine instructions which depend on the processors.

Date: March 26, 2004 11:23AM
Posted by: ZaZ
and even Borland C builder was completely written in Delphi :)
you 'can't' do everything with a OO language.. wel you can.. but then you are using other languages :P to put it simple...You can write an entire OS in pascal, but you can't in object pascal. All languages have their advantages, and best is to 'own' them all. Programmers who make it themselves hard by using a language which is harder and 'better' and the program has twice as many bugs and is finished 10 times later are just plain stupid imho

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: March 26, 2004 11:44AM
and even Borland C builder was completely written in Delphi

Half part. :)
The RTL and preprocessors still using borland C engine.

you 'can't' do everything with a OO language..

Code embedded with OO (Object Oriented) is rarely used for developing an OS. One of the simple reason is, OO is very system dependant (need memory management for dynamic allocation objects), while you cannot use OO to build new OS (which does not running under other system).

Programmers who make it themselves hard by using a language which is harder and 'better' and the program has twice as many bugs and is finished 10 times later are just plain stupid imho

It depend on the project's plan. Analyst or lead programmer usually decide to use which languages should be used (usually two or more languages) so he or she can arranging job list to programmer and planning the development stages before reach the project's dead line. Todays developers won't bother with minor bugs because more delays mean more penalties. The fixed version can released later, because the buyers has no other choices.

Date: March 26, 2004 11:50AM
i should refrase my post.

imho delphi is the supioir language on windows due to its easy learning and is as powerfull as c++ is in windows imho

so madman, even if the devs know of a minor bug and will take like 2 mins to fix they will ignore it? :s

Date: March 26, 2004 12:03PM
so madman, even if the devs know of a minor bug and will take like 2 mins to fix they will ignore it?

It depend to publisher.
As developer we just do the job. After a product releasedm publisher usually came with tons of compalins, bug reports, vulnerabilities, etc. Developer then try to sorting out the problems, fixed in and put in logbook. When publisher willing to release patches (even they called upgrade version, LOL), developer collecting the fixes, repack and give it away to publisher. Sometimes some programmers found small bugs but only noted to logbook. Logbook will be archieved even publisher came years after first release asking for fixed version, or they decide to release newer version which actually a patch!

Oh damn, hopefully my publishers not seeing me writing like these. ;)

Date: March 26, 2004 12:16PM
hehehe :) man thats gotta be frustrating sometimes then :)

Date: March 26, 2004 12:16PM
btw madman check ure email ;-)

Date: March 26, 2004 05:20PM
about $800AUS
its the Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy