GP4 or GP3?

Posted by Azzie 
GP4 or GP3?
Date: May 19, 2003 03:03PM
Posted by: Azzie
I always drive with GP3, had GP4 but my pc couldn't handle it :(
Now I bought a new videocard and guess what, GP4 works.

Got a problem. In gp3 it was/is very easy to install new cars/tracks etc... gp4 however is quite a problem. I instered some cars it went okay but now suddenly some of the cars are white ingame ??? while form others the coulors are messed up. I think Gp4 has some great features which gp3 doesn't have and looks better :) But with all those troubles I am thinking ongoing back to GP3..
What should I do, is there an easy way of updating to 2003 or just stick to GP3?

Thanks

Azzie

btw. is it me or are the gp4 cars easier to drive then the gp3 cars?
Re: GP4 or GP3?
Date: May 19, 2003 03:30PM
Posted by: SchimmyMike
Its easy to update your gp4.

All cars are stored in cars.wad file. Cockpit, steering wheels also. Pitcrews are stored in anim.wad and visors are in each track.wad file.

Download good performances and put them into gp4 with gp4edit v0.12 by marc aarts.

You need to extract the cars.wad file to a folder. Do this with gp4master v1.2. Go to wad workshop, open the cars.wad file and extract it to a folder. Then put your downloads in it and pack it back to cars.wad file.

Carshapes and Textures are in a subfolder of cars.wad file called cars.

If you updated your gp4 to v1.02 use util patcher by tet to patch gp4master v1.2. Because gp4master wont work with patched gp4 version.

Allways use a encrypted gp4.exe and make backups every time.

Join the biggest german speaking rpg community for Battlefield 1942 Modifikation "Forgotten Hope".

Visit www.fh-warzone.de for more informations.
Date: May 19, 2003 03:41PM
Posted by: Breadfan
The "white car" problem appears thanks to sloppy authors of the mods.
They usually assign different textures in *.GP4 files from those provided in ZIP file.

I had more then few of those assigning for example, prost_1/2/3.tex in carshape file but providing only hi_prost_1/2/3.tex files with it.
Of course, the car goes white...in this case u have to rename the existing files in ZIP package to match those in *.gp4 carshape.

zModeler or GP4Genius can do this.

Breadfan

[www.forums.sportspavilion.net]
Date: May 19, 2003 03:47PM
Posted by: Catmageddon
Sometimes I get this whiteout problem if my texture detail is not set to the highest setting with some of the mod cars.

Altogether GP4 is Kimi (brill), GP3 is DC (pants in comparison)

Date: May 19, 2003 04:04PM
Posted by: b-tone
gp4 by default uses 2 levels of tex files.
name.tex (~256x256) and Hi_name.tex (~512x512).
the Hi_ ones are higher quality and larger files. so you pc may not suit them.
the sloppy authors like to make cars with the best possible detail - 1024x1024 or even larger. and the zips you download only have these files. thats why some cars give the PO a fair hit.
(maybe the self installing ones create smaller ones -not sure)
with some tools you can resize them to somehitng your pc can handle.
the all white probably means your game is running with the missing tex files (ie looking for Hi_name.tex when you only have name.tex)

to solve it. make sure your wad has Hi:name_X.tex and name_X.tex.

or maybe its something else...

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy