Not ALL crashes are GP4's fault

Posted by JohnW 
Not ALL crashes are GP4's fault
Date: May 19, 2003 01:20AM
Posted by: JohnW
I have recently converted from Gp3 to GP4. I had spent a good number of hours trying to get a setup for the A-1 Ring. At one point I downloaded a replay, from a hot lap site. I watched the replay and used Hofxlap to extract the setup info and give it a try. I don't think the guy really knew what he ws doing, even IF he was lots faster than I was.

It did have a weird side effect though. It changed my names file so all the stock drivers were replaced with this guys friends, neighbors, and other duffus names. I couldn't get rid of this, so I just ignored it.

Then I began running full games with other cars. I saved the race at the starting line and got ready to run a half distance race, for a league I'm in. When I got back to the first corner at the A-1 Ring, after completing the first lap, the game crashed to the desktop. I tried again. It crashed on the second lap, at the same corner. What the ...!!

I uninstalled GP4 and reinstalled wit hall the patches and updates. Same thing. I again uninstalled and reinstalled only the offical stuff. With the CD in my drive, the game would NOT load. After much spinning up and down, the CD finally sounded like it found what it wanted and cleared the screen to black. And that was it. No new screen. No sound. I had never run with out the "no CD" patch before. It may have always done this, had I tried. The no-CD patch fixed this.

Moral #1: If the game won't load, it could be your old 32X speed CD drive doesn't like the copy protection code.

The story continues....

After loading the no CD patch I loaded up the game and ran laps in the non championship race mode and it seemed OK. I saved a game as before, and it was STILL OK. I copied my setup from before and ran the saved game. Still OK. I copied the previous saved game and ran a lap. CRASH ! I noticed that the names on the grid were back to the goofy names from the lap I had downloaded ! When I had saved that game, I still had the messed up names file. My guess is that when the game wanted to display a sky message or something that needed the drivers names, it blew up. Tossing the saved game got me back to running just fine.

Moral #2: Be REAL carefull what you download.

I reloaded and downloaded the patches a few times and the game a few times, but I always was using my saved game as a test. The GAME was the problem and I didn't know it. When troubleshooting work slowly and methodically. Change only one thing at a time. By doing it wrong, I blew a couple of hours and missed my deadline for submitting my race results.

I'd sure like to get a hold of the idiot that made that replay, right about now !!!

JohnW
Re: Not ALL crashes are GP4's fault
Date: May 19, 2003 01:38PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hehe, Yep, that's right, we can't blame GP4 everytime :)

Date: May 19, 2003 02:10PM
Posted by: tux
hehe, sounds like ure cd drive doesnt like safedisk ;)

Date: May 19, 2003 02:17PM
Posted by: genesis
Tis all about discipline Jon, you show it who's boss early on and they'll just shut up and comply.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: May 19, 2003 05:47PM
Posted by: JohnW
Are you refering to the computer or the other posters here ? :)

JohnW
Date: May 20, 2003 01:31AM
Posted by: jp2
hehe...
for some reason, gp4 wants to have a space in all the driver names, otherwise it will crash when trying to display the gap to a driver with no space in it's name. furthermore, theres something about villeneuve who has to be written in small letters or something. gpxpatch fixes this.

simple rules (unfortunately not mentioned in the "handbook";), just follow them and you get rid of maybe 1/2 of your ctd's. anybody knows what's the cause for the remaining 1/2 ?

greetings, jp
Date: May 20, 2003 04:03AM
Posted by: genesis
Sorry John, the computer ;)

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: May 20, 2003 04:43AM
Posted by: Morbid
for some reason, gp4 wants to have a space in all the driver names, otherwise it will crash when trying to display the gap to a driver with no space in it's name.

That is because GP4 reduces the first name to a single letter, and displays the full surname. That is pretty hard when isn't a first and a surname.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy